01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokoyama is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ but rewiring is the fun part...i mean that in the most sarcastic way possible...
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

hey 01hondercivic, when do you think your gonna take it to a shop to have them show you how to take out the pins? ive had maybe 5 guys, including a guy that used to work with electronics take a look and try to get the pins out, but have failed miserably every time
Old 02-19-2007
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I talked to a good friend of mine who works at a Chevy dealership, and sometime this week I'm going to take it down there and he's going to show me the tool to use and how to take them out. It'll probably be mid-week sometime

On a side note, said friend who works at Chevy dealership just bought a supercharged 2003 Focus SVT...Dyno sheet that came with the car says 314 HP. I told him I've got to hijack it for a day or so
Old 02-19-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by karizzle
**** i dunno the name of the tool, i got it from school (i go to an auto mech school) i just went to the tool guy and told him i need something to get wires out of a connector and he gave me this thing with like 6 small things of various sizes and one of them fits perfectly into the connector holes. if you want to exact name, i can get it for you on monday....
was wondering if youve found out what the name of that tool is, and possibly any pics of the tool?
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

wanted to know what you guys think of these before i place a bid on them:

eBay Motors: NEW 12PC WIRE CONNECTOR TERMINAL REMOVAL TOOLS (item 230096027070 end time Mar-01-07 11:57:28 PST)

do you guys think one of these tools would work in getting the pins out?
Old 02-22-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
I talked to a good friend of mine who works at a Chevy dealership, and sometime this week I'm going to take it down there and he's going to show me the tool to use and how to take them out. It'll probably be mid-week sometime

On a side note, said friend who works at Chevy dealership just bought a supercharged 2003 Focus SVT...Dyno sheet that came with the car says 314 HP. I told him I've got to hijack it for a day or so

What type of dyno? Butt Dyno?
Old 02-22-2007

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Never asked. Guess I'll find out next time I talk to him
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

i actually figured how the pins work, and i got most of the pins out, im actually sitting in my car right now working on it, i already got all the pins out of the green connector and working on the blue one right now
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
looks nice mang, ok but just one question for you.....is that a 04 cluster? if so wat is going to happen to your old one? and your old one is for a manual right? if so can i buy it from you?
Old 02-23-2007

I was going to save it in case I went back to stock...Probably sell the Gauge faces. Name a price and I'll think about it
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

ok well i got all of my pins out just need to reroute the wire now
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

ok i just finished rewiring based on the diagram and i have 7 wires left that i have no idea where they go. i already tested out the new cluster to see if it even works with the wiring i have set up right now, and it lights up, but...its lit even though my headlights arent turned on, is that normal? anyways, i havent had a chance to really have a test run to see if all the gauges are working, ill have to do it tomorrow morning.
Old 02-23-2007

Yes, these clusters are supposed to be always on
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

oh phew, thats reassuring thought i f'ed up somehow
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

btw have you figured out how to get your pins out yet?
Old 02-23-2007

I haven't had time. I have Saturday off so I'm going to play around with it again then. What'd you do different then when you first tried it?
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

well after countless hours of contemplation and looking at the picture of the pins i finally realized how the pins and the retaining tab worked. so i took note that the end of the connector that makes its insertion to the cluster gauge has 2 holes for each wire pin and only 1 connects to the cluster, so using medical terms here, the holes that were more lateral are the ones you use to get the pins out. since theres 2 grooves on the pin that you need to push outward simultaneously i figured i need a tool that fits perfectly inside so that it pushes out on both grooves at the same time, so i got fed up with looking around for a tool specifically for it and i decided to try and make my own with a paper clip, and soon enough after a few minutes of picking around i got 1 pin out. so i started working on the other ones, i found out that some pins will come out easier than others, and some of them will take a lot of time and you'll have to use a little bit of force
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

definitely not the same connector as ours, but same idea of how you need to approach it, or at least how i did
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
Hey, just for future reference. I looked up the clusters for civics with, and without side airbags. They have different part numbers. Good luck finding that tool.
Old 02-23-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Man, your 30 days is going to come quick if you dont snap to it. You might just have to head out to portland to get your damn tool after all. Meet time, lol. Good luck with this one... I never thought i'd wanna fvck with my gauge and swap it, but my rallyeEM2 would look real nice with a rufas-like gauge cluster, *snap* soafb, more money!!
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

ok guys i connected all the wires thats possible and im left with a yellow/black and an extra white/red, and i need to extend the yellow/black over to the blue connector but its too short. i know i need to splice the extra white/red into the yellow/black to make it long enough, but i dont know how to approach the splicing, im somewhat of a noob when it comes to that. do i just cut part of the yellow/black and part of the white/red and twist them together followed by electrical tape over, or do i need to solder them together? or either or
Old 02-23-2007

I'd get some spade-type connectors...Available even from wal-mart for like two bucks for 10 sets
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

i think ill try that, thanks
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

i tried that "spade-type connector" you mentioned, well not exactly but used the same principle as crimping the wires together. i also got some 18-gauge wires to use as a bypass to extend even more. but it worked like a charm so all the gauges are up and working and all the switches as well, looks pretty damn sexy
Old 03-14-2007

UPDATE! Just got finished putting the god damn thing in. Once I figured out how to unlock the pins, it was a breeze. Getting ready to take it for a test drive and then take some pictures. Had a weird issue, which I think i fixed, but that's what the test drive is for...

All in all..

ZOMG ITS T3H SW33T!
Old 03-14-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
You Back Yet With The Pics........
Old 03-15-2007

Typing and resizing/hosting pics as we speak...Stopped by my mom's house, ended up getting some homemade meatloaf and then got to talking about my wedding. Minor delay
Old 03-15-2007
Registered!!

finally! congratulations!
Old 03-15-2007
I need a drop

thefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the roughthefever is a jewel in the rough
subscribed for pics.
Old 03-15-2007

Pics are up! Still in the process of writing the mini-DIY on a foolproof, cheap way to de-pin the connectors

Quick Reply: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video