01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sao33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01-03 to 04-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

FYI, if you do have the ABS wire which is the Blue with red strip #14 green plug, you actually have to cut it, then ground it from the plug end if you want to get rid of the ABS light. Finally got around to testing it! and it works!
Old 05-18-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01-03 to 04-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

awesome.
Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Ok, after many trials and many errors...

Here's the blue hooked up. Actually, I taped the connector more so they won't loose over time.

Here's another green hooked up.

The connector that went to blue and green connector. I used 4 of them.

The problematic connector. I bought the left first but the conductors are too short. so I ended up buying the white which conductors are longer and they reached the female sockets without any problem.

Mounted!!

Done!!

I have to say that I have lots of fun and lots of stupid mistakes too. I blew 20A fuse for L headlight too. ei ei

The next project will be Tokico shocks :-D

Last edited by kbook; 05-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sao33
FYI, if you do have the ABS wire which is the Blue with red strip #14 green plug, you actually have to cut it, then ground it from the plug end if you want to get rid of the ABS light. Finally got around to testing it! and it works!
Thanks sao33, actually, I use the LX cluster so I don't have an ABS light but I move the wire anyway. Thank you!! now I can see the "RPM"
Old 05-23-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice! in case you dont know, there are two dimming modes you can adjust. they should be full bright during the day, then dim down when park lights are used at night. in park light mode, you can adjust the dimmer and it will save that setting.
Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

Thanks gearbox. I saw ur post about dimming light. First I was not sure how it works but now, I fell in love with it. This is indeed a very nice diy. Now, I am looking for more : )
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

WTF! My new cluster has been sitting there mocking me for a week so, today I went and took out the old cluster and NONE of the wires are the same as the schematics I'm seeing on here. Am I freakin out for nothing and just need to worry about the right colored wire going to the right pin?

Hey Gearbox, can ya shoot me a connector diagram for '01 EX manual, no side SRS to '03 EX manual, no side SRS?

LONG LIVE THE CLUSTER SWAP THREAD!

Last edited by lazlong; 07-14-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2010
Premium Member

it should be the same as whats been posted already. theres no other diagram. the wire colors are designated as solid/stripe so a red/blu wire means its a red wire with blue stripes. side srs shouldnt matter, and everything is the same for you. you have to make sure you orient the cluster connectors properly to match the daigrams. there are only two types of wiring, one for the "old" style clusters and one for "new" style.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, sorry, I was freakin for no reason. Never seen anybody read connector diagrams from the back. lol
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Gearbox,

question about the fuel gauge between lx and vp. The position of the needle tell the level of gas in the tank differently. I remember that my new lx's cluster fuel gauge was very low but the refuel light still stayed off. Unlike the previous one but my perception might be wrong.

Next time, I have to drive until the light comes up to check how much gas is left in the tank.

did you experience about this one?
Old 07-23-2010
Premium Member

for sure. the new style cluster seems to go much lower on gas before the light comes on. on the old cluster, i always waited til the light came on and still had 3 gallons left. with the new cluster, i barely have 1 gallon when light comes on so i dont do that anymore. just fill up when you think its getting low. the light means you are almost too late.
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

I have to change my habit when to fill up my gas tank a bit. The light used to come up when It was 2 gallon left. Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Awesome.

May have to consider doing this. How much did you guys end up spending for the mod & parts?
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

You can usually pickup a cluster for about $50 at: www.car-part.com The only other materials are a paper clip (I used a micro flathead screwdriver), soldering iron, solder, heat shrink, and however long it takes for you to figure out the wiring and pins.

Last edited by lazlong; 07-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2010
Premium Member

i spent around $100 on a second cluster cause it was really hard finding one with matching mileage. i got lucky on that one. otherwise just swap what you can find and keep on the lookout for a closer match later.
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

skarface23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey my fellow oregonian Need some help i have an 05 civic vp with no tach on cluster boring want to switch to a 05 civic ex cluster with blue lighting will this be plug and play or will i have to rewire it like you did..thanks in advanjce..
Old 12-09-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Plug and play, but your odometer won't match. Either try to find one with very close mileage to yours or send it to Tacoma Speedometer, they will re-set it to the mileage of your choice for $85.

http://www.tacomaspeedometer.com/ind...d=12&Itemid=38
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Thanks mind bomber was reading the whole thread and got super confused.This was my first day on this website and hey i have to admit its an awesome site. thanks for the info that was really quick..
Old 12-10-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by skarface23
Thanks mind bomber was reading the whole thread and got super confused.This was my first day on this website and hey i have to admit its an awesome site. thanks for the info that was really quick..
Adding the tach is the hard part since there isnt one in the orig cluster, there probably isnt a wire, so you'd have to look up how to wire it based off adding an external tach or something.
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure the wire exists on all models, but isn't connected to anything.. maybe I'm wrong.
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

So anyone know for sure was just about to order new cluster for 100$$ from missouri hard to find a manual one.and what up triz im intillamook used to live in ptown but moved out here near the beach.How bout them blazers thats three in a row.

Last edited by skarface23; 12-10-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Plug and play, but your odometer won't match. Either try to find one with very close mileage to yours or send it to Tacoma Speedometer, they will re-set it to the mileage of your choice for $85.

http://www.tacomaspeedometer.com/ind...d=12&Itemid=38
Are you sure its plug and play? cuz ive read that the vp wiring is the same as the 01 02 wiring...
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I'm pretty sure the wire exists on all models, but isn't connected to anything.. maybe I'm wrong.
I second that, ive read that you can swap in a 01 LX cluster into a 01 dx, and it will work so i assume that his swap should work as well since he has the 01 02 wiring for his cluster
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Its being an 05 VP is what makes it tricky, I can't find the wiring diagram for that cluster anywhere..
Old 12-10-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by skarface23
So anyone know for sure was just about to order new cluster for 100$$ from missouri hard to find a manual one.and what up triz im intillamook used to live in ptown but moved out here near the beach.How bout them blazers thats three in a row.
Word? I'm headed out to manzanita (sp?) sunday night thru tuesday afternoon with my girl for a little stabin cabin action. Whats good out there in that area- I've already visited the ish outta canon beach and tillamook before. PM me if you have any suggestions.

BTW, dont order a cluster or any part of that matter until your positive it will work.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

Well i guess ill have to do more reasearch.But i havent seen anyone do a cluster swap on the 05 civic vp so ill just try calling some honda shops see what they think.Or if you find a diagram post it up plz.I sure as hell cant find one..
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point

So i finally managed to pick up a set of these gauges for my '05 civic SE (canadian,) matching milage and everything. Got it put in today and i got a few problems...

1. the pink wire in the blue plug (number 19) for the vp wiring, it dont show it anywhere in the blue plug for the ex wiring.. it does however show a pink wire for number 2 in the green plug for the ex wiring, does this mean i have to cut and extend this wire to the green plug?

2. My abs light is on, i do know that your supposed to cut and ground the blue/red wire.. but i don't see a blue/red wire in my harness?

3. Airbag light is on, would this have to do with the pink wire i have left out? or should i try reset it first?

4. my right side turn signal isn't blinking, im guessing its either i don't have the pin pushed all the way into the plug or i got the wire mixed up. shouldn't be no biggie...

Thanks in advance for help and happy new years everyone!
Old 12-31-2010
Premium Member

can you post a pic of your old cluster and your new one? does your car have abs? sounds like some wires did not get changed properly. i think all these issues have been discussed in the thread already so please read all the posts. it was hard to figure out some of this stuff and i know its here somewere.

heres what i found so far searching back posts

Originally Posted by sao33
Originally Posted by gearbox
canada is a whole different mess to work with.

green plug

red/wht is for the canada only 'low washer fluid' light
wht/blu is canada only for the DRL (daytime running lights) control unit
wht/red is hot power from the fuse box that controls most of the gauge meters and power circuits as well as the beeper.

blue plug

red/grn is canada only for the headlights

leftovers

red/yel is canada for headlights (replaced by red/grn on newer models)
pink wire is for the SRS (airbag). it should have previously been in the GREEN plug in pin 2, but you need to move it to the BLUE plug in pin 19.

red/grn is number 9 in the blue plug (this would have been red/yel as the diagram shows IF you had an 01-03 civic dx and not 04-05 civic dx). this wire needs to be moved to number 1 on the blue connector. your red/grn wire is the same as the red/yel wire in the diagrams, except it has a different function.
red/wht (gauges and indicators)
wht/blu (headlights)

blu/red is interesting, youre not supposed to have a wire there for 03-05 dx, but 01-02 dx it shows a wire in that spot for ABS.

check the wire diagram pinouts to see where they move to. for the green connector, red/wht is number 1 on your plug and needs to be moved to number 10, still on the green plug. number 13 wht/blu stays in the same spot on the green connector! do not move it.

for the blue connector, number 18 blu/red ABS gets moved to number 14 on the GREEN plug, as the diagram shows. i think you just missed this one.
Old 12-31-2010
Premium Member

these diagrams should help too, they show where the wires should go for the newer cluster.

Old 01-01-2011
Registered!!

mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have pictures of the new/old gauges but apparently im not allowed to attach pictures? lol. fixing the pink wire is pretty straight forward, i just wouldn't sure where it had to go. My car don't have abs, so i guess i have to find that wire and ground it to the car as mentioned before?

Quick Reply: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video