Is your Check Engine Light, SRS Light, Or ABS Light On? If so, Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013
camo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is your Check Engine Light, SRS Light, Or ABS Light On? If so, Please Read

Ok THANKS I think the one (02 sensor ) that came out was a NTK but if putting a denso one will fix the issue Ill get one.

ALSO the light is actually out now .
Old 06-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Camo
Ok THANKS I think the one (02 sensor ) that came out was a NTK but if putting a denso one will fix the issue Ill get one. ALSO the light is actually out now .
I cannot tell you that another sensor will solve the problem, nor can I tell you that it won't solve it either.
I do know why I always want OEM as my first choice though. (The parts catalog does not normally tell who the OEM was for any particular part.)

All I know is the computer did not like what it saw, for some reason.
It's up to you to find out why.

Firing the parts cannon can't fix all problems...no matter how much DangerZone wants you to believe....
Old 06-30-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Your wrong ezone... Firing the OEM parts cannon WILL eventually fix the problem.. Just might cost 2000 times more than it would diagnosing it properly.
Old 06-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

True, but it seems that most people only afford to carpetbomb using the cheapest parts possible....you know, because they are cheap.

Name:  Partscannonfire2.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  36.6 KB Name:  StealthPartsBomb.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  486.8 KB
Old 06-30-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The other problem, here anyway. 95% of the time anything even slightly complicated the dealer will diagnose wrong (which I proved a few times already). I'm not knocking you, because you know what's going on. Not all dealer techs do though.
Old 06-30-2013

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
The other problem, here anyway. 95% of the time anything even slightly complicated the dealer will diagnose wrong (which I proved a few times already). I'm not knocking you, because you know what's going on. Not all dealer techs do though.
I have days where I'm only Human too.

Rare, of course....but they do happen. LOL

PM you in a few minutes...
Old 06-30-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Haha got er I'm going to have to go through that thread a little more thoroughly thought lol. Getting ready to put kids to bed.
Old 07-16-2013
Registered!!

azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point

My engine oil light stays on for a second even after car starts up... this only happens on cold engine start and the light never comes back on during driving.. and if i turn the car off and start the engine again light shuts off immediately. is it normal??

P.s the oil has been changed recently with 5w-20 synthetic. and oil levels are fine
Old 07-16-2013

Originally Posted by azi90
My engine oil light stays on for a second even after car starts up... this only happens on cold engine start and the light never comes back on during driving.. and if i turn the car off and start the engine again light shuts off immediately. is it normal??
Sounds normal to me. The filter probably drains out after sitting a few hours and the system has to refill it (takes a second or two or three) before pressure builds enough to turn the light off. Again, sounds normal to me.
Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

Fasteasylaw.com should not be trustedFasteasylaw.com should not be trusted

Ya that's a great post
Old 08-13-2013
Registered!!

Ptslates is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea why CEL is still on and reading p0135 after I changed o2? I am lost and pissed!
Old 08-13-2013

Originally Posted by Ptslates
Any idea why CEL is still on and reading p0135 after I changed o2? I am lost and pissed!
I have any idea why.
Old 08-14-2013
Registered!!

Ptslates is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
I have any idea why.
I am all ears
Old 08-26-2013
camo

Camo is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, Is it possible to clear the codes without a code reader?
Old 08-31-2013
Registered!!

i got CEL ON today so went in to get it checked ... seems like its "catalytic converter operating below threshold" ... mechanic old me not to worry abt and he cleared it.. i think i need second opinion here as to if what he did was the right thing..
Old 09-02-2013

i got CEL ON today so went in to get it checked ... seems like its "catalytic converter operating below threshold" ... mechanic old me not to worry abt and he cleared it.. i think i need second opinion here as to if what he did was the right thing..
I might have done the same, but would have asked you first.

If what I see in the computer data list leads me to believe the cat is still intact and not completely wiped out, I try to give the customer a couple options:
Clear the code and see how long it takes for it to reset the same code again,
or spend a crapton of money on it right now.

Reasoning: The cat could be right at that borderline between pass and fail on the test.
Super short trips can "soot" the cat and cause a fail, a hard highway run might clear it out.
Also could be a false fail, like due to exhaust leaks and such (needs checked).

Most people have me clear the code, and wait to see what happens..
Some stay off for several months, some come back within days.
The computer makes that judgement, not me.

HTH
Old 09-03-2013
Registered!!

If what I see in the computer data list leads me to believe the cat is still intact and not completely wiped out, I try to give the customer a couple options:

Reasoning: The cat could be right at that borderline between pass and fail on the test.
Super short trips can "soot" the cat and cause a fail, a hard highway run might clear it out.

HTH
So you are saying i should wait and see if it comes back ? i reseted it few days ago and has driven about 400 kms.. light hasnt come back on and no degrading in performance or Gas mileage..
also what u mean by"a hard highway run might clear it out"?
Old 09-03-2013

So you are saying i should wait and see if it comes back ?
Yup.

also what u mean by"a hard highway run might clear it out"?
I was talking about the rare situation where the owners' driving habits or poor fuel quality cause soot to build up in the cat, but there wasn't really anything inherently wrong with the car or the cat.

Carbon buildup (soot) hinders the cats' ability to store and release Oxygen as designed), a 10-20 mile highway run and/or several hard acceleration runs can get the cat hot enough to burn off the soot.

Probably not your situation though....I seemed to mainly see this on older cars that went less than a mile or two each time it is run, for weeks at a time. I don't think I have seen it in several years.
Old 09-07-2013
Registered!!

HTH
got the same light on again right after a week got it checked its the same code p0420. now funny part is when i was driving my car back home from mechanic the light went off byitself. nobody reseted the code.
Old 09-07-2013

got the same light on again right after a week got it checked its the same code p0420. now funny part is when i was driving my car back home from mechanic the light went off byitself. nobody reseted the code.
I'd call that a borderline failure. Prepare to buy a good one to keep the light off.
Old 09-07-2013
Registered!!

I'd call that a borderline failure. Prepare to buy a good one to keep the light off.
a good one? which one is good?. i asked for original from dealer and its costing me $1300. to be honest car doesnt have that much life left may 5 years at most. i dont feel like spending that much money.any work around?
Old 09-07-2013

Off the top of my head.....

First, figure out the reason the cat has gone bad. If it died because of a running problem, that needs corrected first. A new cat can be ruined in only a few minutes if the engine runs bad enough.
But if it is dying of old age (high mileage), that's probably average.

Does your car have to pass an emissions test?
Does the light bother you?
Do you hug trees?

Best choice is always factory parts.
Next good choice would be California CARB approved cat
Another good choice might be an original equipment, used cat with low miles.

Then there's the "thrifty" parts---- you might get what you pay for, but don't hold your breath. (Some people end up paying more than a factory cat would have cost in the first place.)

And then there is....... the cheating alternatives.

Only 5 years left? Is it rusting away or something?
Old 09-07-2013
Registered!!

Off the top of my head.....

First, figure out the reason the cat has gone bad. If it died because of a running problem, that needs corrected first. A new cat can be ruined in only a few minutes if the engine runs bad enough.
But if it is dying of old age (high mileage), that's probably average.

Does your car have to pass an emissions test?
Does the light bother you?
Do you hug trees?

Best choice is always factory parts.
Next good choice would be California CARB approved cat
Another good choice might be an original equipment, used cat with low miles.

Then there's the "thrifty" parts---- you might get what you pay for, but don't hold your breath. (Some people end up paying more than a factory cat would have cost in the first place.)

And then there is....... the cheating alternatives.

Only 5 years left? Is it rusting away or something?
I took it for inspection the mechanic said theres nothin that ruins the cat. it just dies sometimes. and my car isnt at high mileage its 170000 KM . and why i said max 5 years is becoz on avg how much i drive im pretty sure after that amount of time it will be heading to its grave yard. But back to the cat replacement i think ill look into getting a used OEM one