Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

First Event WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
First Event WOW!!

Well it has been about the longest winter ever and I could not have been more excited to get back out on the autox course, maybe a bit to excited. My new setup was beyond what I could have anticipated and I finally now feel like the car is a competative SM car (atleast at the local level events). A bit of background on my setup for those who don't know:

Power
-K20a2
-Hondata fully tuned
-Strupp Race header
-Skunk 2 exhuast
-AEM V2

Suspension
-Tein Basic dampers (yes I said the basics, I have had the means and oppoitunity to change these for a while, but honestly I could not really ask for anything better, they have made it through 4 years of insane abuse and are still great)
-front and rear ingalls camber kit
-H&R 22mm rear sway
-factory front sway bar (04 ex)
-Nuespeed front strut tower bar
- -2.1 camber front, -1.1 camber rear, .16 total toe out front, .04 total toe in rear

Stopping power
-Hawk HPS pads
-Goodridge stainless lines
-ATE super blue fluid
-rear drum to disc conversion

Sticky stuff
-Kosei K1 TS 15x7
-Kuhmo V710 225/50/15

Other details
-shaved weight down to just under 2500lbs
-DC short shifter
-Klotz tranny fluid
-Eneos 5W-40 fully synthetic oil

Although I have had a similar setup for the past two years, above was my setup through last year. This year I added a couple of new things:

-ITR lightened flywheel
-Exeedy stage 2 three puck clutch
-Quaife limited slip differential

All and all the differential made the car a COMPLETELY new car. It is really insane the difference, you can really just put power down at almost any point throughout at turn. Hands down one of the best mods for autox EVER, right up there with the race rubber. Today I did not do the car much justice and over drove it not paying attention to the line and driving way to aggressive, and ended up in placing fourth, but not nearly as well as I could have done.

Anyway just thought some would like to see that a 7thgen civic CAN be setup as a good SM car. My next additions will be harnesses, seats, and a harness bar. I am investing in atleast one nice harness before the next event, because on my fastest run I was throwing my self around so much that I knocked my car out of gear

Last edited by EMK20a2; 04-21-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2008
Registered!!

ekan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: First Event WOW!!

nice!

Harness bar? with all the hp you have, a roll bar might be better!
Old 04-21-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ekan
nice!

Harness bar? with all the hp you have, a roll bar might be better!
Still thinking in terms of weight, I think that the only way to have a harness bar with a roll bar is to have it custom made. I am going to be doing more track days, so I have thought about a custom cage, we will see.
Old 04-22-2008
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, Its good to see someone still campaigning an EM
Old 04-22-2008
Registered!!

Thanks, I try.

My harness is on its way I ended up going with a Teamtech 5-point for myself and a CG-lock to help hold a passenger in.

I am thinking that I am going with Status Ring seats.
Old 04-23-2008
Registered!!

Location: Scott County, KY. Where else? This is my town! Na na na..na..na..
dscottb01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMK20a2
-shaved weight down to just under 2500lbs
It would seem you could get that car lighter than that. My 01 EM2 coupe weighed in at 2460 in race trim at SCCA Nat's last year and now my new 04 EM2 weighed in at the Dixie National Tour weigh in at 2482. I haven't doen any lightening of the car other than shaved 44lbs off in wheels, 31lbs in exhaust, and stripped the trunk of the spare tire. Keep in mind, that I was running 1/4 tank fuel in the car both weigh-in times.

How may I ask did you get -2.1 camber in the front. Camber Bolts? If so, which ones did you use?
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

Inglles camber bolts, I could have even went more. My car is heavier because of the K20a2 engine, it weights around 80-100lbs more. That 2500lbs was weighted at a Prosolo. The only really major things I can do are instal seats and start replacing things with carbon.
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

nicokpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice!!
Old 04-26-2008
Registered!!

here is a pic from the event, not to good for showing the actual speed . I was actually going about 45-50 around a decreasing radius corner into the finish:
Old 04-26-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

very nice! . my buddy has about the same exact set up as you except he has a ek hatch. its a beast.. his car wieghs in at 2190. stripped to the metal with all carbon stuff. even drilled big holes everywhere to cut down on weight.

how much does the stock em2/es2 weigh? i looked on wikepedia and it says 2400 for es2? doesnt sound right after hearing your car is 2500~ bump for a sick car
Old 04-27-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

very nice! . my buddy has about the same exact set up as you except he has a ek hatch. its a beast.. his car wieghs in at 2190. stripped to the metal with all carbon stuff. even drilled big holes everywhere to cut down on weight.

how much does the stock em2/es2 weigh? i looked on wikepedia and it says 2400 for es2? doesnt sound right after hearing your car is 2500~ bump for a sick car
Old 04-27-2008
Registered!!

stock the EM2 EX weights 2595lbs. Unfortunately for SM drilling holes and completely stripping the car is not within the rules, or I would
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

boo hmmm thanks for that info. the sedan probably weighs a little more then huh?
Old 06-19-2008
Registered!!

Just to update, this setup is doing pretty well, I have captured a couple of second place finishes and have been really close to ALL of the faster cars on most occassions. This seems to be a really good setup even with the Tein Basics. I honestly could not ask for the car to handle better, I take some sweepers by working the throttle off and on to create a off throttle oversteer or I can trail brake to create the same results on corners that are better suited for this. Bottom line is I have more control with the brake and gass petal than I could ever ask for. I have added a harness and harness bar, both of which are a MUST, next step is race seats to shave weight and add comfort/ease of driving. I may change the suspension, but man if it gets better the car will be WAY beyond what I can drive it.