Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Boiler's Race Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Boiler's Race Report

Ran HPDE at Summit Point - Shenandoah this weekend with NASA. First time out this year, first time out with a basically different car. All the screwing around I had done in the past year or so hadn't really ever been tested out.
New toys since last track day : EP3 rear brakes, ITR front brakes (and cut off the backing plates), 16x8s with some wide *** Hankooks.
The track was pretty technical, not too fast, and a little bit like driving GT4. They cobbled together some famous sections of other tracks to build it, the Laguna Seca corkscrew, karussel from the Nurburgring, the front straight is pulld from somewhere also, can't rememeber....think hodge podge track, but very fun in a light little car. A substantial bit of elevation change, the car doesn't do hills, even standing on the top of 3rd it doesn't like to climb hard.

Improvement results....
2nd time out with the oil cooler, it continues to work as intended, 217 constant all day, right in the money zone.
The brakes in general were fan-fuggin-tastic. Having done them all, its hard to say if the rears did anything, I don't think much, but the ITRs stop HARD. I don't think I lost any pedal travel when I upgraded but you hit the brakes, those suckers scrub speed like its nobodys business. I at least stuck with the same pads (axxis ultimates in the front, stockers in the back), so in comparision to a full set of stock brakes, this blows them away by a long shot. Big problem with the brakes is they can exceed the tires if they're pounded on. They seem to work that well. Fade was extremely minimal, only slight loss of pedal feel at the end of the sessions. I think its safe to say the overheating brakes issue is a thing of the past.
The rims and tires... holy ****. Let me just say, wider is the way to go. The car felt so much more surefooted this weekend than it ever has before, on any tire I ran on 15x6.5s. The car sat planted, it didn't really ever plow, it still understeers when the tires get real hot, but its right foot controllable. Only 1 rub spot... the cover for the gas tank filler neck. I need to look and see if I can either take it off and make a new one that isn't a big box, or something to that effect. Only a slight rub, but I'd like to eliminate it.
The Hankooks are pretty good. They take a little getting used to. The sidewalls aren't as stiff as the azenis, and they like to set in before they dig hard, if you let them do that, the tires are great. Grippy, they don't get too greasy and they're very predictable. I like em so far.
Only one real panic moment, second session on saturday, the car threw a CEL at about 6500 RPMs in 3rd. I about **** a brick, but I still had oil pressure, good temps and VTEC, so given the car wasn't in limp mode, I just pounded on.... turns out it was an O2 Heater circuit failure. Funny thing is the car ran better with the O2 sensor busted than it does with it working. Stupid fuggin ULEV.
I do have video, I just need to get it shrunk down and find a place to host it. deal without it for now.
Car got 15ish MPG on the track, which I consider a bragging point considering the trucks most of these guys towed their cars with get less than that. As far as this heap being slow.... nah. I walked an ITR outright by running circles around him through the corners.
Just wait until the video comes out, there's some real surprises.... its 90% driver, and that's no BS.
Old 04-02-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
cool, im waiting for the vid
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Vid's soon!
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
vids?
Old 04-05-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I need a place to host it, and a way to shrink it down so I can upload it. I have a shrinking method, but no time to do it.
I'm trying to get everything I need so I can pop the turbo in on sunday.
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
email it to me and ill host it. or pm me and ill give u ftp access
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Any news on the vids Boiler?
Old 04-24-2006
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm waiting too.
Old 04-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

You guys are gonna have to keep waiting until I get the car sorted out. I've got much bigger fish to fry right now.
Old 10-09-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
vids?
Old 11-02-2006
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
This is why I think everyone should set their car up for a track and not for going in a straight line. haha. Its all about driver skill and if you have a car that's set up right, it can be alot faster around a track then really high end cars. I have a co worker who races an 84 Rabbit and he tears up ferraris and porsches around the track solely because he's an excellent driver. And Ive been in the car when hes done it. Im going to try and get out to some track days. Drag racing, our cars are piles of **** and not worth wasting a ton of money on. For track racing tho, they are an awesome platform. You do have to have some badass driving skills tho. haha