Which do you prefer for autocrossing?

I'm looking at the Bell Pyrotect open face and
I'm thinking about the summer heat.
It also seems that you would be able to see side to side better
with an open face?

Or is it hooey and it won't matter?
Old 02-28-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I have an open face.. and I love it.

Important to Note:

Sports Car Club of America From National Staff
November 16, 2004.

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbad. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to the driver's position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver's chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full face helmet can be so powerful "that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out" (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3?AF, 18.5.1999). This applies to vehicles that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at 800.770.2055.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm....that is going to suck.... i just got a full face helmet last year.
I wonder if you disconnect the airbag? I hope this does not pass.
Old 03-01-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I have an open faced helmet and I wouldn't trade. I have tried a closed face and I don't like them. They are too restricting and cut off more peripheral vision than open faced helmets.

Lberry you can still use the closed face helmet just be aware of the risks. It is doubtful that you will hit anything to make your airbag go off anyway.
Old 03-01-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I have a closed face one. When its cold its nice.... but its very hot in the summer. When the SA2005 helmets come out, I'll be getting an open one.
Old 03-01-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
This is the helmet I want...

http://www.soloracer.com/bellsrpro.html

...Basically open face, with a big fat chin bar. I kindof want a closed fase because im racing a convertable, & id rather not have any chance of taking a piece of tread/cone/parking lot/etc... to the jaw. I think the chance of an airbag being deployed on an autocross course is smaller(although still existant, ill probably end up getting an aftermarket steeringwheel) than the other risks associated with an open co|ckpit, plus I hope to be doing time trials & or track days soon anyway.

So yea, best of both worlds, although ill probably end up getting the GeForce version...
http://www.soloracer.com/gfforcehybrid.html

If your looking for a damn good/damn cheap M2000 helmet, then these are your best bet...
http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Closeout/COTU.htm

Bell/Rodia Tourlite - $79.95

Its sold as a Bell, but is actually a Rodia, which makes alot of Bells helmets, so its the same quality as a Bell. A few guys I race with just bought them, theyre apparently really nice. I almost bought one, but I really want a closed face, but who knows what ill end up with.
Old 03-03-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
We are currently running a GB on the Pyrotect open faced as an FYI

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=200179

Reserved yours today...
Old 03-04-2005
PC Tech / Autocrosser

PrecisnTec will become famous soon enoughPrecisnTec will become famous soon enough
Or if you are looking to save a few more bones, this is the helmet I bought.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...101&Division=1

Quick Reply: Open Face or Closed Helmet