Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Clutch dilema?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch dilema?

I was wondering what kind of cluch alot of you road racers and auto-X's would run if you had the choice? I have a EX with the basic bolt-ons, and suspension, would you use a aftermarket stock clutch because the HP is near stock or would you got with a stage 1 Exedy or ACT? P.S. What kind of a duifference in feel can I expect from a stage 1?
Old 02-10-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Wish I could help... But I've never ran any thing other then a stock clutch...(STS doenst allow aftermarket clutches...) never ran in to any problems with it either though.
Old 02-10-2005
Registered!!

WOW! You can't use a aftermarket in STS? Who's gonna know! Ha Ha

What should I you go with then, a Exedy stock replacment clutch off EBAY?

Is a Exedy stage 1 too much for a EX with bolt ons? It's 70% more clamping.

I know you guys push your cars hard and you all know your stuff thats why I posted here.
Old 02-10-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
No personal experience, but from reading enough road racing on H-T, people get the clutch that will hold the power they have, and nothing more than that. There's no benefit to getting a stronger clutch that what you need, its more effort, and those stage 99 clutches or whatever they go up to are usually bad news for the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

That makes sense, kinda like the idiot street racers in my town, they have a LS motor with like a stage 5 3 puck and they wonder why there smashing tranys and breaking axles. So, Boiler, when your ready for a clutch, your gonna get the Exedy factory EBAY one? Just worried about it heating up too.
Old 02-11-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
huge clutches are worthless unless you have the power to use it. my neighbor had a stage 3 clutch and basically lost his 4th gear beacuse the car didn't have enough torgue to go. so we replaced it with a stage 1 and a LSD and its much better.
Old 02-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Honestly, I'll probably just get another honda one unless I'm sure someone makes an exact OEM copy for less. Stock engine, no reason to put too much time into the decision.
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
stock
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the help guys, I think i'm gonna go with the Ebay Exedy OEM clutch, I found one for $65.