Selling the EP3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005
Addicted to the Twisties!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Selling the EP3?

Well folks....I think it's time.

I think it's time that I grow up, move out of "Mommy and Daddy's house" and get a place for me, my daughter, and my girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiancee, sp?).

But in order to do that, I'll be needing to sell the EP3 (or get a job that pays at LEAST $13.00/hr....but that prolly won't happen)

So...I'll also be needing a new car. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm TOTALLY addicted to racing and Honda...so as such an addict, the natural choice for a CHEAP/good ins. priced car would only be a late 80's model Civic (pref. an 89 Civic Si). (STS champion in the making). I've found a few 90 and 91 Si's...but they're 50 lbs. heavier than the 89's.

I've also been talking with the local 89 Si driver (STS champ here, and national class driver) who says that when/if I get one, he'll help me set it up, and tune it. So I'm getting pretty stoked about this whole situation. Bad times (having to sell the EP3) can/did easily turn into GOOD times (getting a MUCH better car for AutoXing).

Funny thing is, the 89 Si's don't really need that much work/tuning to get them to the top. The following is from a PM converstaion that we've been having.

The parts are pretty easy to find. I got all my parts online.

Suspension: Ground Controls and neuspeed konis 450F/450R

The spring rates sound high, but if you have good shocks it's manageable.

Suspension Techniques rear STB

intake: Short ram or cold air. People like the AEM cold air, I'm using an ebay short ram

cat-back: whatever. you may want to go custom to save some weight, the pre-fabbed ones are pretty heavy. I'm using the Apex'i World Sport on mine.

header: DC Sports. There are slightly better headers, but you can't beat the price.

Front Strut Tower Brace: Neuspeed. It's stiff and lightweight. They're about $100. If you get one, get a good one. Don't waste $20 on the ebay junk.

Wheels/tires: I'm running Konig Heliums. They're about $130/ea and weigh 10.2lbs. The only better wheels would be like SSRs or Enkei RPF1s.. but they're twice the cost. As for tires, MX or Azenis, same as your car Smile

As for where to buy, I just look for good deals online. Make sure the place you order from is reputable. Here's some places I use:

www.importhorizon.com
www.modacar.com
www.lightningmotorsports.com

The 89 Civic Si is hard to find. It's about 50lbs lighter than the 90 and 91 years. (2100 vs 2150).

Coincidentally, I have a second set of Neuspeed Konis/Ground controls with 450lb springs that I'm trying to sell. I ran them on my CRX at the beginning of last year. $650 if you're interested Wink

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Jesse
Pretty interesting stuff, IMO.

Anyone got any good deals that you know of? I'm willing to drive to get the car from just about anywhere...including the east coast.
Old 01-14-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You may want to look for an 88 CRX Si too.... run it in ST2, or if you get board, CSP. Basically the same car as the 89 Si, but lighter with a shorter wheelbase... Not to mention the Integra Type R used the 88 CRX Si's rear suspension. Thats the car I'm looking for.. Would be a bit more fun the the civic I think (and a whole hell of a lot harder to find)
Old 01-14-2005

Can't get a CRX, or I would.

I still need it to be a daily driver that can hold a childs seat in back.

So a 2 seater is out. But not a bad idea for those w/o kids. lol
Old 01-15-2005

BTW...

Just out of curiosity (and because you guys are more of a family than anybody on any other sites) so I thought I'd offer them here first, but ....

Who would be interested in buying my Buddy Clubs? (I've only had them for about 4 months)

The wheels are going to be a bit harder to get rid of (5 luger's) but the rest of the parts should be pretty easy to sell.
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
The 89 Si is an awesome car for road racing or auto-xing. I used to have one until it got stolen. I had more fun with that car than any other cars I owned or own today. As far as for the space inside, it looks small on the outside but it's actually pretty roomy inside. The backseats are pretty roomy. That car have more space than my 97 Prelude.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
BTW...

Just out of curiosity (and because you guys are more of a family than anybody on any other sites) so I thought I'd offer them here first, but ....

Who would be interested in buying my Buddy Clubs? (I've only had them for about 4 months)

The wheels are going to be a bit harder to get rid of (5 luger's) but the rest of the parts should be pretty easy to sell.
man, selling ur car after only 4 month of buddy clubs.
Old 01-19-2005

Yeah..

Sux that I spent that much money on them, then I have to turn around and sell them.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. lol
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Yeah..

Sux that I spent that much money on them, then I have to turn around and sell them.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. lol
thats true. thats way i'm living on the $1/day plan on Top Ramen. Go MSG and sodium
Old 01-19-2005

I'm on the "I don't want to be a loser living with mommy and daddy anymore" ... plan.

lol
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
You may want to look for an 88 CRX Si too.... run it in ST2, or if you get board, CSP. Basically the same car as the 89 Si, but lighter with a shorter wheelbase... Not to mention the Integra Type R used the 88 CRX Si's rear suspension. Thats the car I'm looking for.. Would be a bit more fun the the civic I think (and a whole hell of a lot harder to find)
as you can tell from my question, i'm not a "honda nerd." Whats the diff between a 88-89 CRX Si and a 88-89 Civic Si besides the body?

Engine?
Suspension design?
Chassis?
Old 01-20-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
the 88 CRX si is the most unique of the group, as it shares the same rear suspension as the Integra Type R. Honda Got sued over that car, it was a bit too tail happy for most people, so in 89 They changed the rear suspension to match what the Civic had. Other wise, there was no Civic si in 88 and the 89 Civic Si was the year before they added all the extra safty features (Door beams and such) so its the lightest of the 89-91 Civic Si's.

The big difference between the CRX and Civic's at that time would have been weight, and wheel base. otherwise all the Si's Civic or other wise shared the same engine and transmission, as well as suspension (88 CRX aside).
Old 01-20-2005

Now THAT'S valuable info!

I was wondering why the 89 Si was lighter than the 90...but only by 50 lbs.

Thanks Zzyzx.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

i wish honda made light weight RWD that is cheap. not S2000 or NSX

I really wanna stay in the honda family
2003 civic
2001 CBR F4i(hopefully in april)
91 Miata with a "H" emblem(summer if i have $1.5K to spend)
Old 01-21-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
^ I was going to say Mazda already did...then I read the rest of your post

You cant go wrong with a cheap *** POS Miata. Gut it & ebay all the extra crap, make all your money back & spend that on slicks.

Mazdaspeed will sponsor you if you display their sticker at like 3+ events per season, you get a nice discount on parts.
Old 01-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jiggerachi
^ I was going to say Mazda already did...then I read the rest of your post

You cant go wrong with a cheap *** POS Miata. Gut it & ebay all the extra crap, make all your money back & spend that on slicks.

Mazdaspeed will sponsor you if you display their sticker at like 3+ events per season, you get a nice discount on parts.
you start getting discounts when you send in pics of ur being built for Spec Miata

my friend got his discounts started when he sent in pics of his gutted out 91 miata

he already bought the exhaust
Old 01-22-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by usafstud
you start getting discounts when you send in pics of ur being built for Spec Miata

my friend got his discounts started when he sent in pics of his gutted out 91 miata

he already bought the exhaust
Most of the guys I race with get Mazdaspeed discounts just autocrossing their stock Miatas, there is only one Spec Miata in the group. It maybee more of an actual 'sponsorship' with SM, but im pretty sure that is not a requirement for the Mazdaspeed sponsorship.

Im planning on doing the Mazdaspeed sponsorship this season, so Ill be applying for it pretty soon, ill let you know what the autoX sponsorship covers.

Edit: I dug up some info...
You have to be in road racing to be eligible for discounts on mazdaspeed body parts, autocrossers are eligible for all other parts. Now they are selling exclusively to drivers registered with Mazdaspeed, you have to be in the program to even buy their stuff.

Last edited by jiggerachi; 01-22-2005 at 09:05 PM.