Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

I'm spilling the beans...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'm spilling the beans...

Well, a couple people are on to me so I'm just going to spill it.
I'm changing my entire suspension... again.
Its not really from a racing standpoint, but more because it too rough to drive on these fabulous midwestern roads. So here goes... its kind of a hodgepodge, that I'm going to try to get it all to fit together the right way. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this, without some of the parts in front of me, I don't know how it'll all fit together.
It'll be...
Koni Yellows
Ground Control Sleeves, 350 or 375 lb-in front, somewhere between 475 and 525 in the rear
Tein Camber Plates
Along with the 22mm sway bar I already have.
I've figured out that the swaybar won't break the endlinks, but the endlinks will rust up and sieze on me, which is probably just as good, so I bought 2 new Honda endlinks.
This is a little softer than I have now (400/560), but I think it'll help.
I need some information on Ground Controls if anyone has them. GC are being *******s and won't tell me anything I need to know. Most importantly, how the upper mount attaches to the strut. I take it you're supposed to re-use the stock upper hat when you do it, which I don't have much desire to do. At the worst, I'll machine my own upper mounts if I have to, but a commercial part would be easier... I just need to see what kind of centering feature is on the bottom of the camber plate (which I'm waiting to get). Also want to know the lengths of the springs that they come with, I have some extras already that I might be able to use.
Anyone want to complain about the spring rates? I think 375/500 is about right, I don't think OTS Konis can take much more than that as it is. I know I should be going stiffer, unfortunately I find it a little embarassing to have girls in the car getting slammed around. Need a little of both worlds, and I think softer fronts will net me more corner exit traction (the front was waaaaaaay too stiff last year with 500s in the front). Its open for suggestions, I'm still about 2-3 weeks away from buying most of this stuff.
Old 01-05-2005
Autocross Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Ground controls come with a small top hat that fits the size of the springs and tapers to a smaller flat mounting point.

Like this:

BTW, where are you getting your Tein Camber plates and will they fit with Stock Sized springs?
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Well, a couple people are on to me so I'm just going to spill it.
I'm changing my entire suspension... again.
Its not really from a racing standpoint, but more because it too rough to drive on these fabulous midwestern roads. So here goes... its kind of a hodgepodge, that I'm going to try to get it all to fit together the right way. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this, without some of the parts in front of me, I don't know how it'll all fit together.
It'll be...
Koni Yellows
Ground Control Sleeves, 350 or 375 lb-in front, somewhere between 475 and 525 in the rear
Tein Camber Plates
Along with the 22mm sway bar I already have.
I've figured out that the swaybar won't break the endlinks, but the endlinks will rust up and sieze on me, which is probably just as good, so I bought 2 new Honda endlinks.
This is a little softer than I have now (400/560), but I think it'll help.
I need some information on Ground Controls if anyone has them. GC are being *******s and won't tell me anything I need to know. Most importantly, how the upper mount attaches to the strut. I take it you're supposed to re-use the stock upper hat when you do it, which I don't have much desire to do. At the worst, I'll machine my own upper mounts if I have to, but a commercial part would be easier... I just need to see what kind of centering feature is on the bottom of the camber plate (which I'm waiting to get). Also want to know the lengths of the springs that they come with, I have some extras already that I might be able to use.
Anyone want to complain about the spring rates? I think 375/500 is about right, I don't think OTS Konis can take much more than that as it is. I know I should be going stiffer, unfortunately I find it a little embarassing to have girls in the car getting slammed around. Need a little of both worlds, and I think softer fronts will net me more corner exit traction (the front was waaaaaaay too stiff last year with 500s in the front). Its open for suggestions, I'm still about 2-3 weeks away from buying most of this stuff.
love to help u out but don't know enough about it to do so

but i think ur right about the front spring rate, the 400 is a bit too high for me too
Old 01-05-2005
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
p00s !!!

lol j/k

I hear ya about the women bro...my g/f HATES riding with me and my Buddy Clubs. lol "I need a damn SPORTS BRA to ride with you!" -Molly

But as far as your plans....

Sounds like a winnin' set-up to me! I loved my Koni's. They're tougher than you think they are, and with the right tools....SAWZALL, lol....the install is a breeze.

Good luck, let us know how that treats ya!
Old 01-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
BTW, where are you getting your Tein Camber plates and will they fit with Stock Sized springs?
I'm doing 2 koni installs simultaneously. One with GCs, the other with Eibach Pro-kits, we'll test fit the camber plates and I'll tell you if they'll work. They're only $200 so its a steal if they work. I need to get the plates in my hands and see what the bottom surface of them look like.

Stand by for a perfectly good set of JIC FLT-A2s to hit the market....

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-05-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2005
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
wow where'd you buy from. i was also looking at the hotchkis plates but they're $360. please share the wealth.
Old 01-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

When I make sure they fit on something besides Teins, I'll tell everyone who wants to know. At the moment, it doesn't matter, I bought the only set that Tein had in the United States
Old 01-06-2005

I bought the only set that Tein had in the United States
Well....WHOOPTIE FRIGGIN' DO !

lol j/k

I'm curious to know if they work too...HURRY UP DAMN'T
Old 01-06-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm doing 2 koni installs simultaneously. One with GCs, the other with Eibach Pro-kits, we'll test fit the camber plates and I'll tell you if they'll work. They're only $200 so its a steal if they work. I need to get the plates in my hands and see what the bottom surface of them look like.

Stand by for a perfectly good set of JIC FLT-A2s to hit the market....

When did you become Mr $$$$?
Old 01-06-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
interesting ... the endlinks rust and seize on you? ... are you referring to grey's endlinks or the honda ones ?
Old 01-06-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

When did you become Mr $$$$?
I didn't.

interesting ... the endlinks rust and seize on you? ... are you referring to grey's endlinks or the honda ones ?
Honda ones. Given that they rusted up and the ball joints are covered with rubber boots, I can't see Grey's unprotected ones holding up well either.
Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
I didn't.
u must be doing what i'm doing

LIVING OFF OF CUP O' NOODLES
Old 01-06-2005
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
Just buy another car to drive daily and have your civic for the autox days.
Old 01-06-2005

Honda ones. Given that they rusted up and the ball joints are covered with rubber boots, I can't see Grey's unprotected ones holding up well either.

Grey's DO hold up MUCH better.

He's sold a TON of sets..and I've never heard one complaint.

I have them too...and I LOVE them.

I think Zzyzx has 'em too...dunno
Old 01-07-2005
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think anyone has had them long enough to see its corrosion resistance. so we can't assume that they hold up better.