Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

So whos actually Raced in the rain?

Old 08-14-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
So whos actually Raced in the rain?

The reason I bring this up is that it may rain tomarrow durring our autocross, and I hope it does. Nothing is quite like driving at the limit in a low grip situation..

I have ran in the rain before, down at the Phoenix national tour... it was an experiance..... Like driving on Marbles. You have to do every thing slower. you turn the wheel slower, you use the brake and gas slower... Like racing in slow motion.

any way, if you havent autocrossed in the rain and you get the chance to, Do it. you'll have a blast. (Just remember to bring an umbrella....)
Old 08-14-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I have yet to race in the rain. I am kinda worried about it if I do, but I will get over it once I do it.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

thecheat is an unknown quantity at this point
it makes for great practic in the canyons
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04civicvp is an unknown quantity at this point
I've run in the rain, and snow/ice. It is so much fun.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
i have had to like 3 times this season alone. it's fun when you are actuly running but the working and keeping the rest of your stuff dry sucks
Old 08-14-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Actually, its the best chance you will ever get to learn as a driver, because you are at the worst gripwise, have to learn the course and lay off the gas in ways a dry course just doesnt allow.

I have driven my local road course wet on sevreal occassions and was amazed at how well i stayed in crontrol. The S2000 in front of me was another story.
Old 08-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I have... its a blast as long as its not wet and loose pavement... that might as well be ice skating. Watching the AWD guys do it is even more fun.
Old 08-16-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i've raced in the rain twice. Its not that bad, just gotta remember that its wet out and not do what you normally would do. My car tends to oversteer so needless to say I spun a couple times

Last edited by Hawk; 08-16-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
I was actually suprized at how well my 712s did grip that day. They sure as hell don't grip like that in normal driving conditions on my local roads when wet!
Old 08-16-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
I have raced in the rain, once on a auto x and another time during a road race. One time was just pouring rain, another time was just constant shower like rain.

Had to really watch the turns and speeds. The fogging windshield did not help much.
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

JamesL is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Actually, its the best chance you will ever get to learn as a driver, because you are at the worst gripwise, have to learn the course and lay off the gas in ways a dry course just doesnt allow.

I have driven my local road course wet on sevreal occassions and was amazed at how well i stayed in crontrol. The S2000 in front of me was another story.
if you are talking about a real race track instead of an autox course then i do have to disagree on one point.

driving in the rain gives you a crash course in how to drive your car well with extremely limited traction (that is, if you make the most of it). you can learn better throttle control, brake modulation, etc...

...but as far learning the actual race track, driving in the rain does not really help. if you are on a real road course your racing line will be totally different than if the track were dry.

it gives you a different perspective of the race track, though... and if you use that to your benefit i suppose it can help. a lot of people, esp beginners, simply get more confused when they are out racing in the rain.