Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Auto X/Road Racing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/107-auto-x-road-racing)
-   -   So whos actually Raced in the rain? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/107-auto-x-road-racing/168744-so-whos-actually-raced-rain.html)

Zzyzx 08-14-2004 12:31 PM

So whos actually Raced in the rain?

The reason I bring this up is that it may rain tomarrow durring our autocross, and I hope it does. Nothing is quite like driving at the limit in a low grip situation..

I have ran in the rain before, down at the Phoenix national tour... it was an experiance..... Like driving on Marbles. You have to do every thing slower. you turn the wheel slower, you use the brake and gas slower... Like racing in slow motion. :tongue:

any way, if you havent autocrossed in the rain and you get the chance to, Do it. you'll have a blast. (Just remember to bring an umbrella....)

robbclark1 08-14-2004 02:18 PM

I have yet to race in the rain. I am kinda worried about it if I do, but I will get over it once I do it.

thecheat 08-14-2004 03:14 PM

it makes for great practic in the canyons

04civicvp 08-14-2004 04:22 PM

I've run in the rain, and snow/ice. It is so much fun.

CrazyCakes 08-14-2004 07:54 PM

i have had to like 3 times this season alone. it's fun when you are actuly running but the working and keeping the rest of your stuff dry sucks

alienmeatsack 08-14-2004 10:57 PM

Actually, its the best chance you will ever get to learn as a driver, because you are at the worst gripwise, have to learn the course and lay off the gas in ways a dry course just doesnt allow.

I have driven my local road course wet on sevreal occassions and was amazed at how well i stayed in crontrol. The S2000 in front of me was another story.

Boilermaker1 08-15-2004 11:03 AM

I have... its a blast as long as its not wet and loose pavement... that might as well be ice skating. Watching the AWD guys do it is even more fun.

Hawk 08-16-2004 10:05 AM

i've raced in the rain twice. Its not that bad, just gotta remember that its wet out and not do what you normally would do. My car tends to oversteer so needless to say I spun a couple times :hgrin:

alienmeatsack 08-16-2004 01:18 PM

I was actually suprized at how well my 712s did grip that day. They sure as hell don't grip like that in normal driving conditions on my local roads when wet!

MrWong 08-16-2004 02:39 PM

I have raced in the rain, once on a auto x and another time during a road race. One time was just pouring rain, another time was just constant shower like rain.

Had to really watch the turns and speeds. The fogging windshield did not help much.

JamesL 08-17-2004 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Actually, its the best chance you will ever get to learn as a driver, because you are at the worst gripwise, have to learn the course and lay off the gas in ways a dry course just doesnt allow.

I have driven my local road course wet on sevreal occassions and was amazed at how well i stayed in crontrol. The S2000 in front of me was another story.

if you are talking about a real race track instead of an autox course then i do have to disagree on one point.

driving in the rain gives you a crash course in how to drive your car well with extremely limited traction (that is, if you make the most of it). you can learn better throttle control, brake modulation, etc...

...but as far learning the actual race track, driving in the rain does not really help. if you are on a real road course your racing line will be totally different than if the track were dry.

it gives you a different perspective of the race track, though... and if you use that to your benefit i suppose it can help. a lot of people, esp beginners, simply get more confused when they are out racing in the rain.