Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Autocross / street racing information needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Autocross / street racing information needed!

Ok, I've seen numerous posts about autocrossing, and have seen video. Autocrossing looks cool, but I want to run on some real roads, with real twisties. What do they call road races for amatuers (such as autocrossing)? I'm really interested in trying out what my car can do with all of my suspension upgrades. Anyone have any comments or input?
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Ok - specifically what am referring to is something along the lines of what some people call "touge" here.....Is this just mountain racing or is it called something else? I'd LOVE to take my vic out on some roads / tracks like those....
Old 09-12-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
OK.... first off... DO NOT put Autocross in the same context as Mountain Racing/Canyon Carving/Initial D. One is completely safe, legal and sanctioned, the other is highly illegal and you can kill yourself. If you want to race on a larger circuit, I suggest you try road racing. Find a local road course in your area and get the schedule, they've all got open track days where you pay for a lapping session, or you can take a driving course (HPDE) and learn the tricks of the trade. Many people do it. You need to learn how, thats what the HPDEs are for. There are many organizations that do it. NASA, BMWCCA, Porsche Owners Club, the Mustang Club, various other organizations can get you started. Go over to Honda Tech. Lots of those guys run Honda Challenge and probably can get you started in the right direction.
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for the info - that's why I asked. I wasn't sure what to call it.

Not that there is anything wrong with autocross - but I need some open road (or track) vs just a parking lot. Do you have any websites you can recommend to check out? Houston (which is where I am now for work) and Florida (where I live) are pretty damn flat, not too many curves (or good roads, at least in Houston).
Old 09-12-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
hit up http://www.nasatx.com/

I dunno... maybe try searching google for "Houston Road Courses" or Texas in general. There's gotta be something out there.

PS... try the parking lot. Its just a compressed version of a road course. Its safer to learn on because of the lower speeds.
Think of it this way.
In Formula 1, a track is 2.5-4 miles long and has 10-15 turns. An autocross track is about .5 miles long, with the same number of turns. Both are completed in about the same amount of time. When you take the speed out, all it comes down to is technical skill. Which is what you need before you can add speed to the mix.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 09-12-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
ya, dont count out autocross. I Raced down in San Diego and I hit 3rd gear in 2 different sections of the course. Menuvering at 70+ mph is freaky.....

the size and speed of a course will vary from region to region but you still get all the thrills of a road course. The fun parts on a road course arn't the straightaways, Its the corners. Autocross just takes that to the extream, making one course that is pretty much nothing but corners.
Old 09-13-2003
Registered!!

That's cool.... most of the vids I saw were pretty crappy....that's why I was like - well I don't know. But I'll at least try it...

What I'd REALLY like to do is get into rally racing - but that costs bling, and I don't really have the time either (good 'ole work). But anyhow, I'll probably try out autox just for shiz and giggles...