Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

HX wheels for AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jnycash is an unknown quantity at this point
HX wheels for AutoX?

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I looked around and couldn't come up with any answers...

Has anyone considered autocrossing the factory wheels from the civic HX? Are they the same size and offset as the stock 15's from the EX? (I have a 2002 EX with steelies) They sound like they're pretty light, (~12lbs) do you think they'd be strong enough for autocross?

I'm currently running on stock wheels/tires for autocross and I'm in dire need of an upgrade...
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

It looks like the HX wheels are 14"... Didn't realize that.

Scratch that idea for now, it'd take me out of the stock class.
Old 07-25-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The deal with that is that you can't run in a stock class unless you have the same rim size as stock. Since you have an EX, you need a set of 15x6 wheels, the HX wheels are 14x5.5. So you can't do that by rule. If your car is modified in such a way that you would run STS, then yah.. you can use them. Get a set of 14" Azenis Sports put on them and you'd be set. If your car is bone stock, then I wouldn't do it... I'd look for 99-2000 Si wheels, or 15" Integra wheels. They're all 16 lbs. There are some aftermarket rims available in 15x6, you gotta look for them... most are 15x7" which is perfect for everything but stock class.
Old 07-26-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
There are also quite a few 15x6.5 as well as 15x7 aftermarket wheels. The lighter and wider they are, the better.
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
Si rims and GSR rims are not 15lbs. I'm not sure about the GSR's but I'm sure the Si's are about 25lbs. each. I know because I had the swirls and now the Si's.
Old 08-20-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
So the question is, What class do you run? If its any thing else then stock then yes you could run them. But why? how much do they cost and is there a just as cheep just as light alternitive that will give you a wider wheel? a 5.5 inch wheel is pretty narrow, and would limit the size of tire you could put on them. If you did however, the Falkens would probably be the best bet for tires, unless your runing a more open class then STS, where you could run DOT legal race tires.

My rota Slipstreams were $100 each. and at 11.8lbs for a 15X6.5 wheel thats pretty decent. ASA's LW5's are on special at the tire rack right now, $99 each for a 15X7' wheel that weighs 14.5lbs. Kosei K1 Racing wheels are decent too, $129 for a 15X7 13.5lbs wheel. You could go with some O.Z. Superleggeras 15X7 for $200 and weigh 11 lbs. Nice wheels too.

Personally I wouldnt go with a wheel thats narower then 6.5", 7" is better but any thing smaller the 6" would limit your tire selection greatly.
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

I'd like to stay in HS for awhile, I just started and not ready to make the move to STS. I'd really like to get a decent set of summer tires for racing, so I figured they'd be terrible for driving in the winter, so I thought I'd get a set of wheels that I can change at the track.

I figure maybe I'll just get another set of steelies (6" wide) and use those for running in HS. Then when I get ambitious I can sell those off and get a decent set of wider lightweights for a more open class like STS...
Old 08-22-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
You could look for a lighter wheel in that size and offset. Then you could look good, and still stay in HS.