Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Headlight Lifecycle Low

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trellex is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlight Lifecycle Low

I'm not an electrical expert or anything of the sort, but I'm fairly certain that I should expect my headlight bulbs to work for longer than 6 months?

My 2001 Civic goes through headlight bulbs every half year, and I was wondering what might be causing it. I personally haven't done anything electrical to the front headlights (I have swapped out my tail lights with the newer ones) , but when I did purchase the car, it had aftermarket fog light wiring with no fog lights.

Could this be affecting the lights or might it be a different issue?
How can I troubleshoot to diagnosis and isolate the problem?

Cheers everyone!
Old 03-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlight Lifecycle Low

The nature of the failure may indicate what to look for.....So how exactly are they failing?
Old 03-14-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

are you buying the super bright ones? they don't last as long as regular ones
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trellex is an unknown quantity at this point

The bulbs life cycle is extremely low - they just burn out within 6 months. They don't explode, they don't flicker out - it's just the life cycle seems extremely low to me.

I was using brighter bulbs, but since those were burning out in 6 months, I decided to switch over to more conventional ones, and the same thing happened to them.
Old 03-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the filament inside the glass simply breaks, it could be due to
excessive vibration; road conditions, chassis/suspension/loose mountings, etc.
high voltage; charging system issues

or more commonly, low price bulbs, low quality, many are made in china...and widely available due to that sweet low price.

If the glass becomes bubbled out then I'd probably associate that with contamination such as skin oil.