Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT

Old 08-21-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMJDM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT

Those are the ones I'm considering getting for my 01 Civic. All I'm hearing and reading is that these AREN'T allowed on the road if they already didn't come with the car (like BMW's, ect)

I live in Florida which we don't get smog checks and emissions but as for Driving daily, am I going to get pulled over and get tickets for these headlights??? I can't find the official LAWS in Florida about different Headlights with Projectors.

I appreciate all the help!

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal???

The short answer is no. But like with a lot of mods, that's the risk you take.

That being said, stay away from those lights. The quality is cheap, and the light output on the projectors is substandard. You'd be better and safer just keeping your OEM lights.

If you want to run a halo (CCFL) projector, the proper way is to do a projector retrofit on your OEM headlights. Check out Sportsautotech.com they have great prices on plug and play projector kits.
Old 08-21-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the halos that are illegal if they didn't come with the car. It's aftermarket HIDs. It's because of all those douche canoes with lifted *** trucks and ricer jerkfaces putting HIDs in non-hid equipped reflector housings. HIDs, if done right (read: true HID retrofit), you couldn't tell the difference.

But yeah, aftermarket projector headlights have **** output.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

If all you want are the angel eyes, go to theretrofitsource.com and order some light rings or whatever you call them and throw them in your stock housing. If you want a projector, I strongly recommend you do a retrofit (real retrofit with quality stuff)
Old 08-21-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal???

Originally Posted by got2run5
If all you want are the angel eyes, go to theretrofitsource.com and order some light rings or whatever you call them and throw them in your stock housing. If you want a projector, I strongly recommend you do a retrofit (real retrofit with quality stuff)
I'm so lost on that site. What exactly am I looking for? I see I need Bi-xenon kits. Which kits do I need and for my car?

These are my headlights I have on my car now
71-0809.jpg?t=1320699288
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

If you're going retrofit, buy the Morimoto Mini H1 kit
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

In the options area you can add angel eyes to it.

If you just want the angel eyes and not a retrofit go with these
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=14906

More expensive than ebay but you won't have to pull your headlight apart to fix it every 2 months.
Old 08-21-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal???

If you're going retrofit, buy the Morimoto Mini H1 kit
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

In the options area you can add angel eyes to it.

If you just want the angel eyes and not a retrofit go with these
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=14906

More expensive than ebay but you won't have to pull your headlight apart to fix it every 2 months.
Sweet. I can even have the Halo's added to that kit for an extra $50. Also found out that a shop near me is a recommended Retrofitter that I can get to install all this for me.

Question about that kit.

SHROUDS: I pretty much go with the Standard it come with. Can I paint them Black or Red some how instead of having the Chrome before they're installed? If so, what kind of paint should be used?

Again, appreciate the help.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-21-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT

Buy from http://www.sportsautotech.com/ over The Retrofit Source. I know the guy who runs it. He gets his product from the same supplier as TRS, and a full Mini H1 conversion kit is only $190, or $80 cheaper than TRS. Free shipping as well. And his customer service is fantastic, he ships out next day, and is very willing to give advice on retrofitting.
Old 08-21-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can paint them any color you want. A standard plastic spray paint will work but you need to remove the fake chrome before painting I believe.

You can also paint your cutoff shields any color you want so that in te sunlight the lense will be the color you painted them. I painted mine black with standard spray paint.
Old 08-21-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT

Originally Posted by rustycivic
Buy from http://www.sportsautotech.com/ over The Retrofit Source. I know the guy who runs it. He gets his product from the same supplier as TRS, and a full Mini H1 conversion kit is only $190, or $80 cheaper than TRS. Free shipping as well. And his customer service is fantastic, he ships out next day, and is very willing to give advice on retrofitting.
Oh wow, that is a GREAT deal. Only thing is they don't offer 6000k bulbs. I don't know if 8000k will be to Blue to where I can get pulled over or the light NOT being bright enough to see the road at night?! Would 8k be sufficient?

Also the wattage, I should stick with getting the 35w correct? I've always heard to not get 55w with certain burning problems, ect...

@GolNat: What would be the easiest way to remove that Chrome? Also, when you said I can spray paint the Cutoff Shields, is the Shield the actual Lenses that the light ring is around? I just don't want the light to be darken more with the lenses painted.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-21-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2013
Registered!!

5500K will be pretty darn close to 6000K. I wouldn't go 8000k, too blue for my taste, and draws more attention. And yes, you'll want to stick with 35w, with the 55s, you could risk melting the plastic pieces.

And not sure if you saw, but Sportsautotech has CCFL (halo) ready shrouds as well.

http://sportsautotech.com/shop/produ...ds/ccfl-ready/

If you order a full retrofit package, just make sure to select one of those 3 styles if you want the Halo.

I'm not a huge halo fan, but they look pretty darn cool on my older brother's friend's Accord.

Old 08-21-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT

Originally Posted by rustycivic
5500K will be pretty darn close to 6000K. I wouldn't go 8000k, too blue for my taste, and draws more attention. And yes, you'll want to stick with 35w, with the 55s, you could risk melting the plastic pieces.

And not sure if you saw, but Sportsautotech has CCFL (halo) ready shrouds as well.

http://sportsautotech.com/shop/produ...ds/ccfl-ready/

If you order a full retrofit package, just make sure to select one of those 3 styles if you want the Halo.

I'm not a huge halo fan, but they look pretty darn cool on my older brother's friend's Accord.

So those are already CCFL's with the rings attached? Because I don't see rings to buy on the site.

I was looking at this http://sportsautotech.com/shop/hid-x...-ccfl-shrouds/ but I can't tell if these are Shrouds I can add to the kit I'm ordering?! These look sick.
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

I'm not sure if they come with the shrouds already or not. Email him, and he'll answer any questions you have.

And the 3 CCFL shrouds listed in the link, you can order then with any kit I believe. You just have select the style you want, because in the drop down box when ordering, it doesn't say if they are CCFL or not.
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

If you're doing this for the first time, go to TRS. All they do is lighting stuff and the customer support is unbeatable. Yes you can find the stuff for cheaper but you won't have the same support for install or if the things you buy don't work. When I did my retrofit, the harness didn't work properly with the hi/lo solenoid. I checked out the link posted for sportsautotech and while it looks like a fine kit, there are no reviews to confirm the quality of the ballasts or what brand of bulbs etc. These are all things that matter so that 3 months after install you don't end up with your bumper off trying to figure out if the ballast or something else is bad. They claim "with all parts coming with a full warranty and backed by our unrivaled customer support and 100% satisfaction guarantee" but never list what that "full" warranty is or what kind of damages it includes. Guys at TRS walked me through troubleshooting to get it up and working and I highly recommend them as will anyone that has been on this site for a while. Also, if you look around I think I found a discount code on a Toyota Tacoma forum. Just my opinion but I am obviously extremely happy with the product and customer support I got from TRS.

Edit: If you're looking for visibility, 4300 K is the best. 5000k is supposed to be pure white. The further up you get after that the more blue/purple the lights looks and the more likely you are to get pulled over.

Last edited by got2run5; 08-22-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

If you're doing this for the first time, go to TRS. All they do is lighting stuff and the customer support is unbeatable. Yes you can find the stuff for cheaper but you won't have the same support for install or if the things you buy don't work. When I did my retrofit, the harness didn't work properly with the hi/lo solenoid. I checked out the link posted for sportsautotech and while it looks like a fine kit, there are no reviews to confirm the quality of the ballasts or what brand of bulbs etc. These are all things that matter so that 3 months after install you don't end up with your bumper off trying to figure out if the ballast or something else is bad. They claim "with all parts coming with a full warranty and backed by our unrivaled customer support and 100% satisfaction guarantee" but never list what that "full" warranty is or what kind of damages it includes. Guys at TRS walked me through troubleshooting to get it up and working and I highly recommend them as will anyone that has been on this site for a while. Also, if you look around I think I found a discount code on a Toyota Tacoma forum. Just my opinion but I am obviously extremely happy with the product and customer support I got from TRS.

Edit: If you're looking for visibility, 4300 K is the best. 5000k is supposed to be pure white. The further up you get after that the more blue/purple the lights looks and the more likely you are to get pulled over.
True. Like I posted above, I have black crystal housing headlights so I want to make sure the light is putting out good brightness. I figured 5000k or 6000k would be best for me. I already have 6000k HID fog lights from ebay but now I might want to upgrade to a Retrofit 3000k Fog Light kit down the road. I just hope I can and it's not too late because they had to cut my bumper to get these in so IDK if it's too late or not for different fog lights...

Edit: I just don't want to get pulled over. Got tired of getting pulled over for my tail lights and fog light bulbs. So I want to make sure doing retrofit and hid's in my headlights aren't going to get the same result with the cops.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-22-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

I'd definitely stick with 4300k or 5000k then. The 5000 isn't really noticeable in light output difference from the 4300k and they are the correct color a stock HID setup would come with so they won't attract unwanted attention.

The TRS kit includes a new harness that is better than the old one.
As long as you do it with quality products you'll be extremely happy. Bad ballasts will warm up slowly (HIDs aren't insta-on, they take like 5 seconds of getting brighter) and cause flickering etc. Bad bulbs won't have great output and they will colorshift quickly.
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

I'd definitely stick with 4300k or 5000k then. The 5000 isn't really noticeable in light output difference from the 4300k and they are the correct color a stock HID setup would come with so they won't attract unwanted attention.

The TRS kit includes a new harness that is better than the old one.
As long as you do it with quality products you'll be extremely happy. Bad ballasts will warm up slowly (HIDs aren't insta-on, they take like 5 seconds of getting brighter) and cause flickering etc. Bad bulbs won't have great output and they will colorshift quickly.
Exactly, I can't have Cops trying me every time I want to drive my car. VERY ANNOYING. I have a 2 questions http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

1: If you look at the kit, there is an option for Halos for $50 extra. That will be the ring that will go around the Shrouds I get with the kit correct?

2: If I EVER get new Headlights on my car, can this Retrofit kit ever be taken out the old Headlight and put into my new ones?

I appreciate all the help as always. I LOVE this Forum!!!
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

1: If you look at the kit, there is an option for Halos for $50 extra. That will be the ring that will go around the Shrouds I get with the kit correct?
Yes, that is the light ring.

2: If I EVER get new Headlights on my car, can this Retrofit kit ever be taken out the old Headlight and put into my new ones?
Yup, should transfer right over.

If you buy their harness and have problems with wiring, send me a PM and I'll take a look at mine.
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Yes, that is the light ring.

Yup, should transfer right over.

If you buy their harness and have problems with wiring, send me a PM and I'll take a look at mine.
Awesome. In your opinion, should I get the rings? Or will it draw cops to me?
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

The rings are personal taste. If you really want them, I say go for it. They make your car more noticeable but as long as you're not driving like a moron I don't think cops will care too much.
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

The rings are personal taste. If you really want them, I say go for it. They make your car more noticeable but as long as you're not driving like a moron I don't think cops will care too much.
The place I'm going through will have free labor ect because their a Retrofitter so if it's ever a problem, I will just have them uninstall the rings. I appreciate the help so much.
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

Ummm idk how you're getting free labor-install doesn't come with purchase.

Btw, make sure to get the H4 harness.
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Ummm idk how you're getting free labor-install doesn't come with purchase.

Btw, make sure to get the H4 harness.
The Retrofitter where I live said if I order directly through them, the labor will be free and if something is ever wrong or needs changing, they don't charge to fix it because I purchased through them. The kit is EXACTLY the same as the site because I pay to have them order it and install it.

Yeah, I'm going to get the h4/9003 harness. I can't wait to get this done. Gotta wait for my bonus check at work.
Old 08-22-2013
Registered!!

Sounds good. My retro was the best money I've spent besides for an extendable ratchet
Old 08-22-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Sounds good. My retro was the best money I've spent besides for an extendable ratchet
Yeah i can't wait. I still got so much money to spend on things I want. Retrofit, rims, and my custom catback. Saving is a bitch lol.
Old 08-22-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Read here for info on painting the shrouds:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...2-Shroud-Paint

Read here for info on cutoff shields:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hield-painting

Painting the cut off shields looks cool and creates a better cut off line.
Old 08-22-2013
Prelude Owner

Here is your retro and suspension:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ess-coils.html
Old 08-23-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

http://sportsautotech.com/shop/black...black-shrouds/

Will these fit the TRS Morimoto H1 Kit? Would be awesome if I can just get some good black ones instead of going through painting. Since I'm going through a retailer shop, I won't have time to paint them myself.
Old 08-23-2013
Registered!!

I doubt it. Like I said before, that site doesn't list the brand of their projectors so they could be no-name projectors. Just have the guys that are installing it order the parts, then wait a couple days to install them while you paint the shrouds. They shouldn't have a problem with that. Buy plastic primer and promotor or primer/promotor, scuff up the plastic shrouds with some 1000 grit sandpaper, promote/prime, then paint with a flat black if that's what you want. It's really only a day process since basecoat usually is supposed to wait 24 hours before it's handled.
Old 08-23-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

I doubt it. Like I said before, that site doesn't list the brand of their projectors so they could be no-name projectors. Just have the guys that are installing it order the parts, then wait a couple days to install them while you paint the shrouds. They shouldn't have a problem with that. Buy plastic primer and promotor or primer/promotor, scuff up the plastic shrouds with some 1000 grit sandpaper, promote/prime, then paint with a flat black if that's what you want. It's really only a day process since basecoat usually is supposed to wait 24 hours before it's handled.
Great news, Terrance over at SportsAutoTech said the Gloss Black Apollo Shrouds will fit ALL Mini H1 kits as long as I have the 2.5 to 3 inch abs adapter rings http://sportsautotech.com/shop/acces...adapter-rings/. I can just get this and then still have my Retrofitter order the kit and BOOM, Black Shrouds as I want right away :-P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Halo Projector Headlights w/CCFL Street Legal? or TRUE RETROFIT