Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID Wiring harness Relay question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
HID Wiring harness Relay question

So I bought 2 relay harnesses and it seems that the Relays were cheap and didnt last. They are constantly drawing on my battery while the car is off (2Amps). I have done some metering and came to the conclusion that the switches in the relays are sticking as if I turn the lights on and off I can get there to be no draw.

also my high beams turned on today by themselves and didnt turn off when I turned the car off..... I had to pull the power wire of the harness off the battery....

Any suggestions?

I obv need to replace the relay but need to know what kind. I know its a 40amp Automotive relay is there anything else I need to know? 4 or 5 prong? I also need the female piece as well as the one in the harness now does not have 2 separate pieces.

where can I find a good quality relay?
Old 05-24-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Re: HID Wiring harness Relay question

I'm building my own Wiring harness right now with help from Gearbox. I bought a Bosch 5 pin relay (even though i only use 4). It was around 8 bucks from a local automotive parts place. Gearbox has been using his Bosch relay for over a year and he says he has had no problems with it.

I hoe that helps.

Originally Posted by TFMEX
So I bought 2 relay harnesses and it seems that the Relays were cheap and didnt last. They are constantly drawing on my battery while the car is off (2Amps). I have done some metering and came to the conclusion that the switches in the relays are sticking as if I turn the lights on and off I can get there to be no draw.

also my high beams turned on today by themselves and didnt turn off when I turned the car off..... I had to pull the power wire of the harness off the battery....

Any suggestions?

I obv need to replace the relay but need to know what kind. I know its a 40amp Automotive relay is there anything else I need to know? 4 or 5 prong? I also need the female piece as well as the one in the harness now does not have 2 separate pieces.

where can I find a good quality relay?
Old 05-24-2011
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Yeah looks like NAPA carries what I need. Thanks man!

Hope this fixes the power draw issue.
Old 05-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

stick with bosch/tyco relay but it sounds like you may have other wiring issues if hi beams are coming on by themselves. www.partsexpress.com has everything you need to build your own harness. i would never use the cheapo premade harness they sell on ebay and stuff.
Old 05-25-2011
CO&CA

I figured it was a relay sticking and not fully opening or closing causing the issue.

any insight would be very helpful
Old 05-25-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well it depends on your setup. i am imagining the relay is only for the hids and not the hi beams. it looks like you have an 04-05 so the hi beams should be halogen and completely separate from the new harness for the hid lo beams. hi beam wiring should not be touched unless you have a bixenon projector.
Old 05-26-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get one with a suppressing diode in it. I made a thread on why they're important.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ighlight=diode

Last edited by electric130; 05-26-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2011
CO&CA

Relays got fried.... I have the Hi and lows on separate relay harnesses and the relays are not the best quality apparently. They got wet, fried and need to be replaced.
Old 05-26-2011
Premium Member

if they got wet, i would figure out a way for that not to happen like move them somewhere else. bosch relay can fail from getting wet too...be sure to mount them with the contacts/terminals facing down at the ground.
Old 06-01-2011
CO&CA

after doing some more research I decided to not install the HID kit and stick with the Halogen bulbs. To many issues with power consumption and im not getting the light output I thought I would. The halogens actually are brighter than the 6K HID bulbs.....

Last edited by TFMEX; 06-03-2011 at 06:36 AM.