Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Trying to retrofit with valeos, help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seanzee311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Trying to retrofit with valeos, help..

alright, i have a 01 ex with some TYC projectors in it. I am trying to follow that dirtysamurai DIY and I just bought some valeo D2S projectors out of an Audi A4 2001.5, but hey don't seem to be marked as to which is which.

The only difference between the two is that one has a sticker with a bunch of numbers on it. The one without the sticker differs by having more shielding on the inside. So my question is, which one is for which side of my car, and what is the extra shielding on the inside for (or is it not good?)
Old 08-28-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i really couldnt say, mine werent marked either and i just didnt pay attention to which goes where. i dont even think it matters. the only thing that might make a difference is...and im guessing here, i think the dot projectors have a little "flare" of light that goes above the cutoff to light up road signs that are too high. and im again guessing but i think only one projector does this. i noticed it at night and its on the pass side for me. i m thinking that would be better since it wont glare oncoming traffic.
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

jay78 is on a distinguished road
it really dont matter only thing is matter is the shiled make sure that shield stay at the bottom dont put it upside down...lol.

and u saying one has extra shielding ?? can u post pic?
unless it has flip able shiled....
Old 08-28-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya i always wondered how it would look with the projector on backwards. i guess there would be no light on the ground and all of it pointed up at other cars? that would be funny
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

lol.......
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

they are a little blurry, but hopefully these pictures help you understand what i meant by the extra shielding. I think the driver's side is the one that would have more shielding to reduce glare, but i don't know too much about hid projector optics so i dont know for sure. Anywho...

This is the one with less shielding

This one has the same lower shield, but it also has an upper one, creating only about a 3/4 of an inch gap between the upper and lower

Another pic, the one on the right side being the one with extra shielding.
Old 08-31-2006
Premium Member

very interesting. i know mine didnt have two shield. only one half circle on the bottom. what car is that out of? have you tried hooking them up just to see how they look? i know the driver side always appears to be higher on the road, ive seen this with mine and also on other cars behind me, where the driver side light is colored and the pass side is barely visible. not sure why, also check if you can find which one has a faint "glare" light above the cutoff. i think only the pass side is supposed to.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

oh that on top?
thats foreground limited
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

they are out of an Audi A4 2001.5.

and if that is a foreground limiter, which side of the car does it go on?

it makes no sense to me either, but whatever. i might just do the install and toy around with them before i seal the headlight back up. worst case scenario, i have my headlights half-way through the process and need to buy different projectors (and sell these).

Last edited by seanzee311; 08-31-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

wow i just look close and looks like one has foreground limiter and other dont that not how it supose to be.....

so wat u need to do is cut foreground limiter only top part so it looks like this
both should look like one on right after cutting
Old 09-03-2006
Registered!!

is there any good way to cut that? or is there somewhere i can buy these shields?

I might just try to use see how they work, and if all else fails, i will put my stock headlights back in until i get the projector issue solved. thanks.
Old 09-03-2006
Premium Member

try and light up both to see how it looks. maybe you wont even notice it in the beam. but if one side has a big line on the ground and the other is lit up, then ya you need new shields. try ebay?
Old 09-03-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
i dont get where u are supposed to cut? that cut off line so its almost a straight line like the one on the right? just wondering if u bend the shield too much would that affect the output of the light? it seems as tho the person who retrofited my headlights bent the shield too much to get a color effect cause on that beam it shows a sorta u flare goin up on the cut off. kinda hard to explain ill try to get a pic if i can.

still wondering where that foreground limiter is at. is there a way to make the cut off look like the one on the right instead of the one on the left so its just a step not a huge z? or is that wat u are talkin about?
Old 09-03-2006
Premium Member

the one on the left is a huge cutoff transition. the lil bend should be almost flat like the one on the right. idk why they would be different unless its for glare reduction or something. Bending shield is tricky, cause you are distroting the cutoff by bending in parts of the shield. its better to use spacer. i bent my projector fog shields and got rid of the yellow cutoff color (not that it matters now), but when i played with the halogen tyc, i ended up ruining one of em and there was no color at all. oh and the flare you are talking about is due to the DOT design of the projector so that you can see road signs that would otherwise be too high for the light below the cutoff to illuminate.
Old 09-03-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
i thought bending the shield only produces more color not changing the beam style. so i guess just from bending the shield it wouldnt reduce the output of the light? the side that im talkin about is the passenger side b.c its alot lighter than the driver side. so im been trying to figure out y. just thought he mightve bent the shield too much causing light to b reduced.

anyways is there a way to change the beam style to the one on the right or do i do wat u said gear? i wouldnt really want to touch the shield b.c i have no clue wat part to bend. wouldnt want to ruin anything. def hate the large transition
Old 09-03-2006
Premium Member

im confused now. bending shield wont reduce light output, just affect the cutoff line. it might not be as sharp if you bend the top part. remember you're not bending the whole shield, just one part of it so it will change things. what do your lights look like? that flare is normal part of the projector design.
Old 09-03-2006
Registered!!

well, like gearbox was saying about just lightin them up to see what it looks like.. you gotta figure, the amount of space that the 'foreground limiter' takes up with respect to the concavity of the lens, it could account for next to none of the beam actually projected light on the road. the concavity is what magnifies the cutoff on the shield to produce the colors, right? well, same thing, but no magnify.

i've been drinkin so hopefully/maybe that makes sense, but long story short... i just ordered all the rest of what i need to do the retrofit and i should have these projectors tested out by friday or saturday.
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

yea sorry for the confusion i read your post, gearbox, totally wrong. just a lil tired from not having much sleep. my flare looks like the one on the left or the transition. i just hate how its so big when its projected on the road wish it was like the one on the right so i was just trying to find out how to get it to look like that.

and to seanzee311 your post made sense. ive known a couple guys that couldnt type worth their life when they are drunk. gl with the retrofit and hopefully it turns out great. i wish mine was made correctly.
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

can you post pics of what you dont like...
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

do me a favor take both shield off the projector take a pic and i will show u which part u have to cut....

banding shield will give u more color but u loss performance

here is the exp of my retro that i am doing
this one has no limiter

this one with limiter

Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

do any cars come stock like that? cause ive never seen it that weird looking anywhere. or did the yellow happen because of bending the shield?
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

tl comes with it....u cant notice cuz tl dont come with clear lens....and i swapped clear lens so u can see it clearly....

also new Audi comes this way too but it just has straight line on top.. so it dont look like mine.... and i didnt band anything do make it look like this..it just cuz of the lens are so clear...
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

hahah i cant really take off my shield right now b.c im usin the headlights right now.this is the thing i hate:

that huge transition. i would like it to be like yours, gearbox, but not sure if there is a simple way of doin it.
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

oh i see... the bend is alot bigger. its not really a big deal as both are like that. is there a reason? oh and also i had another question, are you supposed to aim the headlights based on the lower step or the higher step? well the only thing i can see is trying to cut the higher side, but imo unless you have perfect cutting tool, its gonna look like this on the wall ~~~~~~. i would say leave it how it is.

well i have 4 different halogen projectors. if you want i can try to remove the shield and measure it to see if you could swap em in yours. i mean if they fit, its just a piece of metal right? i dont think it has to be "hid" version.
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

yep gearbox did a nice job on aiming his....

gearbox which part are u talking about to cut?

Last edited by jay78; 09-04-2006 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

well i actually didnt even measure the distance. i meaning to do that sometime but i wanna know if you use the top cutoff or bottom.

i thought you said he needs to cut the metal shield so its more flat instead of tall.
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

if he want to remove the limiter then he need to cut the top part of the shield, trim it dont cut all the way...
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

no not the limiter, he just doesnt like the cutoff being so big. his is like this ___/---- and mine is more like this ___.-----
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

here this is what i am talking about

yours is DOT shield
and his is ECE shield

Last edited by jay78; 09-04-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-04-2006
Premium Member

oh okay so ece shield has that limiter thing? i wonder why only one side... and crazyasian is different he just doesnt like how tall the cutoff is.

Quick Reply: Trying to retrofit with valeos, help..