Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Blacking Out of 04-05 Lights (Revisited) Please leave it up a while

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Smile Blacking Out of 04-05 Lights (Revisited) Please leave it up a while

I just wanted to post it up again for the new peeps in town ...

Please enjoy

Your friend _Viper-

Hey I finally finished the lights and they look really HOT.. It was an 8 on the hard level because so much care has to be taken when resealing the lights. Putting them in the oven is also very tricky because you basically have to stand there and not let them out of your site. I basically made sure they were hot that way the Honda glue that seals them came apart more easily. I used Gloss black and I personally recommend this because OEM cars like mazda’s come out that way and it makes the lights stand out more..Also the DIY is not like 01-03 as we don’t have to remove clips etc etc
The first 2 pics are Normal looking lights at the end youll see before and after pics..
Well you be the judges OK I did this for you guy’s…
_Viper_ Out

Step 1
Removing Bumper
You must remove the bumper OK!!!!!!!!! D’ont try going around that its just the way it is. In these pics youll see me removing all the clips to remove the Bumper just look and do the same ..Once all the clips and screwes are taken out you have to pull out each side of the bumper then pull in the front of the bumper to get it off….

Step 2
Removing Lights
There are 3 Bolts and one clip that holds the lights in place..Use a 10mm socket for the bolts.Youll also need a long extension to remove the bolt that’s above the bumper cuz its tucked in a lot…Once the bolts are out and that Black clip just pull on the headlight and it will come right out…

Step 3
Disconnecting Headlights and removing Rubber rings
Ok to disconnect the headlight you have to twist the plug in to detach the harness from the headlight. There are three plugs in all High Beam Low Bean and Turn Signal…
Then once the headlight is unplugged turn it over and you will see 2 rubber rings per light and also a small plastic cap.. These must be removed so they don’t melt in the oven..
Also you might want to remove those 3 screws per headlight just for the hell of it.. Also under the Headlight there is a bracket that must be removed its held with a 10mm bolt
NOTE : always lay your headlights on a nice thick rag so that way they don’t scratch OK!!!!!

Step 4
Oven Time
Get your oven preheated to at least 225 Farenheight I think its 100 degrees in US and put one headlight 2 don’t fit right in there for at least 5 minutes on the last 2 minutes turn the oven off and let the timer go to zero. Now get the light out of the oven and place it again on a rag and start slowly prying the headlight apart. You need to push up the black clips carefully then stick a flat head screwdriver and separate the housing from the plastic cover. Take two screwdrivers to do this and as you go along put one screwdriver in front of the other..When the light is almost separated just pull it apart with your hands..
Now youll have two pieces.

Step 5
Platic Chrome piece
Alright now you need to take that chrome piece out. Get a Phillips screwdriver and take the small chrome screw out and just un clip the chrome piece and pull slowly. Then remove the side marker (Turn signal amber piece) it just pops out.

Step 6
Painting the chrome piece
Ok I bought some 1000 grit sand paper and really scuffed the chrome well, why?? Because the glossy paint will stick better and last longer for sure. Slick chrome is very slippery and paint will not adhear easily to it. One sanded go in a well ventilated area and start painting them.Use the directions on your can and spray very light coats.
NOTE: Don’t worry if the first coat looks like **** its normal, just don’t put a really thick first coat cuz then you will get fish eyes in the paint. Once the coat is done put it in the oven at 225 for to 4 minutes to make the paint cure more rapidly. Then add more coats until you are satisfied putting the piece in the oven between every coat..

Step 7
Painted piece ( Woot Woot )
Ok your doing great at this point..Now don’t get all sloppy putting you fingers all over the piece, handle it like it was gold and make sure its dry enough to put back into the plastic cover or youll rub the black paint off and smear the inside of the lens. Reinstall the amber reflecting piece when dry. And the screw that hold the painted piece

Step 8
Resealing
First of all this is what the other DIY’s, don’t tell you. When you put your light in the oven the OEM Honda glue will thin out because the heat melts it and it runs down the edge of the light so obviously there is not as much glue as when it was sealed up brand new. On the black piece youll see a channel where the OEM Honda glue is. Get a tube of caulk and don’t go cheap get very good caulk and run a beed of caulk in there, then put the cover over and press them together slowly. You must put the light in the oven again at 225 for 4 to 5 minutes and when its ready take it out and press firly the piece together making sure the clips snap back in.Youll notice extra caulk ooze out on the sides so just wipe it off with a rag but continue to press until its all together and snug.

Step 9
Voila Blacked Out 04-05 Headlights
Now don’t go running all excited to the car with the lights not fully cured just give it time to cool down. Then go out and reinstall everything back on the headlight and rebolt them in.

Step 10
Making Sure
Make sure and take your time rebolting everything back together. Don’t forget to put back all the rubber pieces and the small ventilation cap on OK!!!!! And then drive around and have all the peeps drop their lips when they see DA BOMB. I actually had kids in a 87 Civic Give me thumbs up on the Highway for the lights..
Oh yeah REP is always a good thing

Before

After

Old 07-07-2006
Registered!!

KINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to all
very detailed, good job
Old 07-25-2006

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
bump
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

marcuse will become famous soon enough
Old 07-26-2006
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
caulk.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
this should help out some members for sure
Old 07-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

We need more pics of this please.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

Tnsmongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
super sick i need to try it on mine ... nice ***** also face shoot..
Old 07-26-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Amen

Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

typeblue is an unknown quantity at this point
quick question for _Viper_:
When you had the headlight unit apart, why didn't you black out the amber reflector piece? I was debating to do this but i have yet to take my headlamps apart...

Last edited by typeblue; 07-27-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

Rufus nice very nice... is that your lady...
Old 07-27-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tnsmongoose
Rufus nice very nice... is that your lady...
thats catwoman, viper's girl
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

oh i see.if thats vipers girl why does rufus have a sexy pic of her.. well the headlights came out good i think im going to try this weekend
Old 07-27-2006
Premium Member

lol I sneak in when he's at work....

Mine's in the middle:

Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

nice shes hot.. so you sleek in ninja style ...
Old 07-27-2006
Premium Member

thx. Hopefully I'll marry this one...
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

EM2_FRESH is an unknown quantity at this point
ha first post for me.. this thread/DIY is what got me to register here.. hopefully soon i'll be posting some in depth DIY's of my own..

gj
Old 10-08-2006
An elephant.... with stamps for hands.

thatsmrgimp2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Hows the seal holding up on them? And what type of caulk did you use? Im thinking of some marine grade clear caulk. One other thing, did you remove the excess oem glue from the edges, or caulk over it? Great Job
Old 10-08-2006

marine grade is excellent good choice thats!!!!!!
Mine is holding up fine 4 now..

And also welcome to the site fresh
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

rchoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice! I've been wanting to this this... but only read the 03 model DIY. Thank you! Great way to display your artwork.
Old 10-22-2006

Originally Posted by rchoo
Very nice! I've been wanting to this this... but only read the 03 model DIY. Thank you! Great way to display your artwork.
Thanks alot and welcome to the site
Old 10-24-2006
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone have any pics of what this looks like on a black civic?
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
no one?