Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

changing led color

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auratika is an unknown quantity at this point
changing led color

how do i change a white led to have red output like red leds...? can i put a red film over it to make it more red?
Old 07-27-2005
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
desolder the white LED's, trace the circuit to the resistors for them, desolder the resistors, solder in proper resistors for the new LEDs (red LEDs have the lowest voltage/amperage requirements, so they need different resistors), solder in red LEDs, have a beer.
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

i know i can do that but would there be some kind of dye/clear paint to use over the white leds..
Old 07-28-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
what would the point in that be? you would lose so much output and the color wouldn't be truly red...
Old 07-28-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you can't really filter led light. like if you have white leds behind a red lens, they will barely be visible.
Old 07-28-2005

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
what about red led's behind red lense? That works right? You have to just match up the filter color with the led color
Old 07-28-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by silverem2
what about red led's behind red lense? That works right? You have to just match up the filter color with the led color
yep. matching frequencies is best.
Old 07-28-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
cause you have to remember, leds are only one wavelength. So if you filter it, you're left with nothing, unlike incandescent lighting.
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

ahhhh.. i see, i guess i'll have to replace all the leds then..