Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

making custom LED TAIL LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CvC-v01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Arrow making custom LED TAIL LIGHTS

for my next project i would like to make custom LED tail lights but i was wondering if you guys know of any web sites that would help me complete my project...

i found this link but i'm not familiar with circuit boards...i just need sometime a bit simple for me to do....
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...ck+tail+lights
can you guys please help

Last edited by CvC-v01; 10-31-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
If you want, you can get stock sized replacements online. http://www.ledtronics.com/datasheets...auto_index.htm

They don't have the LED array look that you're looking for though. What more help do you need?

The circuit boards are very straight forward. All you do is wire all the leds up in parallel, then add up the current. I don't quite like what the guy in that thread did though. I don't like that he just took the voltage/current.

Because there is a voltage drop across the resistors, you should really take the (12-led voltage)/current, and use that as the series resistor value.

Are you looking to make an LED array like that?
Old 10-31-2004
Ed
Registered!!

I think his way, the current will be a little less, which I guess is better than having it too high, I suppose of you consider a car battery ranging from 12-13+ volts, then it would be better, but it would be better to do it the right way and account for the voltage differences.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
wow that sounds like an intense project. Good luck and be sure to make lots of updates.
Old 10-31-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
wow that is a hell of a lot of LED's...

I saw that on a car before, I think it was a newer 7 series BMW... it looked awesome, I think it was even stock.
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ed
If you want, you can get stock sized replacements online. http://www.ledtronics.com/datasheets...auto_index.htm

They don't have the LED array look that you're looking for though. What more help do you need?

The circuit boards are very straight forward. All you do is wire all the leds up in parallel, then add up the current. I don't quite like what the guy in that thread did though. I don't like that he just took the voltage/current.

Because there is a voltage drop across the resistors, you should really take the (12-led voltage)/current, and use that as the series resistor value.

Are you looking to make an LED array like that?
I plan to do an array like but i don't want to sauder all kinds of resistors to led bulbs on the circuit board.....

what do you reccomend is best to do...
Old 11-01-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You might want to post this in the subforum lighting, and let ImPulse handle it. He's done the LED's in the 04 tails. I'd ask him, as he "knows whats the fvcks is goings ons..." I think he posted a set of progress pics at one time, but not sure.
Old 11-01-2004
Ed
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CvC-v01
I plan to do an array like but i don't want to sauder all kinds of resistors to led bulbs on the circuit board.....

what do you reccomend is best to do...

It's really very straight forward. Connect up all the anodes of each LED, and connect all the cathodes of each LED [this arrangement is called Parallel]. Then, you connect one resistor, of the value calculated above, in series with all the LEDs.
Old 11-01-2004
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Moved to Lighting

Oh wait I don't have that power
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
You might want to post this in the subforum lighting, and let ImPulse handle it. He's done the LED's in the 04 tails. I'd ask him, as he "knows whats the fvcks is goings ons..." I think he posted a set of progress pics at one time, but not sure.

how do i get of hold of Mr. IMpulse?
Old 11-01-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Umm... he'll see it soon enough. I'm sure he'll respond. If not, just browse the lighting subforum, where this is located now.
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Moved to Lighting

Oh wait I don't have that power
LOL
Old 11-05-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
I' am not 100% done... The main problem with doing a custom led conversion is Heat... You dont want the leds to die or your tails to get messed up...

Anyways, Whenever I drive around at night time I basically look for cars that have LED tails then follow them , There are ways to make the leds either just stay on.... or blink for turn signal use. So, there are a whole bunch of wiring/technical things you gotta know

this is what i want my 04s to turn out like...

But, because of heat issue and all, I believe I will only be making the top "section" LED and the rest halogen. Still not sure.

here are some LED DIYs

http://josch.wilksfamily.com/3rdBrakelight.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~jbipes/ttr/ledtails.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ledtailidea.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	42029  
Old 11-05-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
just wondering but wouldnt this be illegal because your not supposed to mess with the braking system ?
Old 11-05-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Whats illegal? It came with the car

(as long as everything works perfectly, the LEDs exceed oem ability, So, I dont see a problem)
Old 11-05-2004
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
No cop would EVER know anyway

Cop: You know why I pulled you over son

You: No officer was I speeding?

Cop: Speeding? Ha, if you were only that lucky. It's pretty obvious that this vehicle should have short life, boring, and less effective halogen bulbs in the tailllights. So what the hell are these far superior, longer lasting, LED's doing in here? Let me check my code book cuz I might need to take you downtown.

You: Hey Officer do you know what old pennies are made out of?

Cop: What?

You: Dirty Copper!
Old 01-27-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Just an update, I'm gonna go ahead and do this I have an extra set of tails in the mail, i addition to 1000 LEDs, and some resistors.