Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

light bulbs for projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
light bulbs for projector headlights

I have projector headlights (i will try to attach a pic). the headlight is burnt out (the main one in the middle).the reason im explaining that is because when i went to the auto parts store, the guy sold me a factory bulb, which i thought that's what was used in this headlight as well (i didnt install the light, so i wouldnt know for sure), anyway, my friend wen to replace the bulb, and the factory one that they sold me was like 3 times bigger than the one that was in the socket already. the factory one had those 3 plug things on the end. the one already in the lights looked like it just had 1 very tiny one. Does anyone know what im talking about? i went to another store, adn no one had seen those or knew where to get one at. im gonna be screwed if my other one burns out soon. i will take a pic today of the actual bulb, if no one knows what im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	11425  
Old 10-09-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Edit: Halo/Angel eye/tyc projectors use H1 size, factory is H4. thats why the one they gave you is huge. go back and get H1's.

Last edited by SkipBarber; 10-09-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

do they have to have a "number" like i think they looked for "9003". if i just tell them "h 1" will they know what im talking about. and also, they looked through all of their bulbs and found nothing similar to the one i had in my hand.
Old 10-09-2003

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
yes, H1 is a standard size.
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
stock housing headlight bulb = H4 (also known as 9003)
aftermarket projector headlight (high/low) bulb = H1

SkipBarber: those are not TYCs
Old 10-09-2003

meh, close enough. lol
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
ya those aren't TYC, but I would still try and H1 bulb. From the discription it souns like em.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
H1s are specialty bulbs. Most auto stores like Autozone, Pepboys, Strauss, etc, don't carry them. If you go to a car shop, they'll charge you like $40 for a set of two nonames.

I bought 2 sets of MTECs for $35 shipped. eBay is really cheap and has good prices, just make sure that the seller you're buying from has a gaurantee and return policy.

by the way, HERE IS THE ACTUAL LIGHT SETUP:

it's stamped onto the projectors themselves.
hi beam (closest to grill) = h1
low beam (middle; halo around this one) = h1
running light (farthest to the from the grill, shares pod with turnsignal) = 7443
turn signal (farthest to the from the grill, shares pod with running light) = 168
Old 10-09-2003

hey sovereign...how do you like those mtecs? i just ordered mtec 4x off ebay for 22 shipped...
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
*for metc h1s i would only recommend the 2x*

i had mtec 2x @ 4350K in my tycs...
they were great and only cost me $18.00 plus shipping on ebay
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally posted by SkipBarber
hey sovereign...how do you like those mtecs? i just ordered mtec 4x off ebay for 22 shipped...
OH NO NO NO!!

Is 4x Safe for stock harnesses?
I thought about getting those instead, but I read somewhere that 4x may fry the harnesses.

My MTECs are hopefully already in the mail. Although the seller had outstanding feedback and history, he does not communicate all too well. The h1s that came with the projectors I put aside for emergency replacements. Hopefully the mtec 2x are almost as bright as stock, if not better.

The projectors have been laying around in my basement, since I sealed them up. I cant wait t install them. w00t!
Old 10-09-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
walmart even carries h1's.. hyperwhite and regular
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by xRiCeBoYx
walmart even carries h1's.. hyperwhite and regular

aftermarket bulbs are frowned upon in NJ. Hell, I had a pair of h4 sylvania silverstars that are SAE DOT compliant and I still failed inspection. They still wouldn't pass me, with the packaging and little certificate that said they were 50 states street legal.
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

couldnt you just swap them out to stock bulbs during inspection??
Old 10-09-2003

sovereign...if youve followed me up to now, you know that fried harnesses are nothing to me. not that ive done it before, but im sure i can figure it out.
Old 10-09-2003

fuledya is an unknown quantity at this point
H1 in those Matrix headlights.
Vip and Autozone carries them in my town.
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, I have RS version projectors and I am assuming they work the same as the TYC. The projector low beam is an H1. The high beam is on the inside and is an H1 also. Now the 168 and 7443 i got as well. But where do the LED rings plug into.

I figured they would plug into the 168 bulb harness so they acted as parking/running lights.
Old 10-15-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

bulbs

i found bulbs that same day, from oreilly's (in a different city.. so i dont know why the oreillys in my city didnt have them...) anyway, i got 2 for $10.--.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

auph1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys,

I just got my halo projectors in and I am prepping the lights for install. I bought some clear sealant for the cracks and was wondering if I have to take the projector apart to seal the projector or can I just seal over everything that's already there?

Also,
I noticed that that one of the lights housings are empty (#7443 and #168). Do I need to buy seperate lights for these?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
I want some black tyc projectors I heard they are really nice and they come with their own bulbs what kind of projectors did you get and where did you buy it from?
Old 11-29-2003
Registered!!

sno83oky is an unknown quantity at this point
halo projector... re-seal and light bulb problem

i got these halo projector lense installed at dealer cuz of accident i was in, i realized then the lights r not sealed, theres moisture/fog in the light when temp changed. Therefore, there's like white stuff... inside the housing........... and yesterday one of the light bulb just burned out, which i think fog/moisture is the reason! so can you guys please help me out, how can i re-seal it, and clean out the housing? and if you can tell me how to DIY would be really helpful too.... thank you!
Old 11-29-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

in the meantime of my last post, my driver side bulb burnt.... so i ordered white ones off of ebay for one penny, pllus shipping. yes, i know they wont last long, yadda yadda yadda, i dont need to hear that... but that driver side one was HARD to change. my dad did it, but everyone i talked to on here about it said to remove the bumper etc. cause the winshield fluid and stuff wasin the way and my hand couldnt fit, so my dad figured out a way.

now the only thing is that the other light, the "parking light" is that yellow color, while the main one is white. will that cause a problem w/the cops.... so what kind do i need to get now to match what i have