Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Exhaust too loud ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nsiegel5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Exhaust too loud ticket

Ok guys some scum sucking pig pulled me and three other civics over tonight and gave us all tickets for having exhausts on our cars. The cops stated that they were too loud despite the fact that I had my silencer in at the time. Does anyone know the law about how loud you can be and about what I can do to get rid of this when I have to appear in court??
Anyway this is the reason people hate cops because they like to be a**holes. The NYPD has gone to sh*t since Bloomberg became mayor **** bloomberg and fvuk power hungry cops with nothing better to do.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

K20A_Wanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend got the same thing. Goto a police station and they'll do a DB test and if you pass they take the ticket off. Ask before they do the test what the DB law is so that they can't cheat you out. Just make sure you do everything you can to get it quite. From what i remember it's not a cheap ticket in missiouri.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
i had to pay a 75 dollar ticket for my loud exhaust
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
damn dude, that sucks, but in some states any aftermarket exaust is illegal, you might want to post or search in Legal Issues Forum
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

You can always goto a shop that does db test and slip him 20 dallors or less to give you the most accurate rating. If you know what i mean.hehe
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
yeah, but if you do that, dont pick the wrong shop....
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

When the cop pull me over i just say the vtec makes my exhaust to loud.lol I know how i feels to get pushed around by a cop. I got pulled over for runing a Green that turned yellow and she said it was a steady red. That was about 200 dallors with lawyer.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

nsiegel5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know there is some kind of db rating on how loud a car can be and I also know that my car is not that loud especially with the silencer in. I know that these cops just want to make their christmas quotas.
Old 12-12-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
Originally posted by nsiegel5
I know there is some kind of db rating on how loud a car can be and I also know that my car is not that loud especially with the silencer in. I know that these cops just want to make their christmas quotas.

quotas = myth
Old 12-12-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
thats the stupidest thing. what about motorcycles? their pipes are extremely loud.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

The motorcycles have different db ratings i believe but i think the db rating for NY is 90db but not sure.
Old 12-12-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
Originally posted by fine02civicgurl
thats the stupidest thing. what about motorcycles? their pipes are extremely loud.
many municipalities now are enacting noice ordinances against motorcycles, so it is not only loud car exhausts that are being targeted.

decibals are used to measure sound, so they would be the same for either exhaust, nothing special used to measure the two. place the meter near the car and press on......
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
You should move up here to redneck land, there are some pickups and cars with exhausts so loud it vibrates the seat in your car......when your 3 cars back. They never do sh*t.
Old 12-12-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

if its an exhaust modification then thats when you would get the ticket, but if you have a POS vehicle with a crappy exhaust like most of the hicks of here, then thats a little different, a violation of the vehicles inspection, still a ticket but something totally differnt
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

importuner86 is an unknown quantity at this point
It seems like cops should be there to "protect and serve" its not like ur gonna hurt anyone b/c your car is too loud. They should go after sex offenders instead.
Old 12-12-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

there job is to enforce the law. if your breaking it, and you get caught, then the cops are doing their jobs.
Old 12-12-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

shoudnt this be moved to the right forum??
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to all
i got pulled over for my exhaust but i just got a notice and order to get it fixed, ******* cops
Old 12-13-2003
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by civicstyle82
i got pulled over for my exhaust but i just got a notice and order to get it fixed, ******* cops
Its called a 'fix-it-ticket' (its common) and dont come in here slandering police. Some of us are police and we dont appreciate getting **** for doing our job.
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

People are just tring to say don't cops have better things to do. I mean here we have people breaking into stores and crap and there pulling me over with a harmless neons ticket. I respect them for doing there job but they gota cut the line to when to stop enforcing the laws to much. Pulling me over for Neons is a Freedom of expression. Beleive me my friend got pulled over for it and the county was beging him not to sue the county for harasing him about it. I'm expressing my favorite color green.lol Around here i see cops doing what ever they plz(speed, run stop signs, run lights) and if you hit them guess whos gona be the one introuble the victum. I'm not saying all cops are bad but there some out there. When there a good ones that don't car about neons and all that crap those are the really good ones.
Old 12-13-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by K20A_Wanabe
People are just tring to say don't cops have better things to do. I mean here we have people breaking into stores and crap and there pulling me over with a harmless neons ticket. I respect them for doing there job but they gota cut the line to when to stop enforcing the laws to much. Pulling me over for Neons is a Freedom of expression. Beleive me my friend got pulled over for it and the county was beging him not to sue the county for harasing him about it. I'm expressing my favorite color green.lol Around here i see cops doing what ever they plz(speed, run stop signs, run lights) and if you hit them guess whos gona be the one introuble the victum. I'm not saying all cops are bad but there some out there. When there a good ones that don't car about neons and all that crap those are the really good ones.
good point...

i would also like to add that cops are human too. and i am saying this "against" cops because what they do alot of times depends on what kind of mood they are in. why is that my fault? its not, but yet they will give me a ticket for something dumb or whatever, just because their donut wasnt hot enough.

alot of it is just a power trip. i'm sure a few lives were saved from ticketing the guy about his exhaust... but that poor child living in the projects getting beat every night before bed doesnt get a second thought from the cops... but as long as there is one less person with a loud exhaust, the world is a safer place. whatever.

and for all u cops in this forum, dont try saying thats not true, because my dad is a cop and he admits it any day.
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

If i was a cop i would be the coolest cop. I'd have Neons exhaust twin turbo rims. I'd be one bad cop.
Old 12-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Exhaust too loud ticket

Originally posted by nsiegel5
Ok guys some scum sucking pig pulled me and three other civics over tonight and gave us all tickets for having exhausts on our cars. The cops stated that they were too loud despite the fact that I had my silencer in at the time. Does anyone know the law about how loud you can be and about what I can do to get rid of this when I have to appear in court??
Anyway this is the reason people hate cops because they like to be a**holes. The NYPD has gone to sh*t since Bloomberg became mayor **** bloomberg and fvuk power hungry cops with nothing better to do.

Inappropriate use of language.
Old 12-14-2003
Registered!!

sandgrencivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I know some people that have been pulled over and given a ticket. However they fought it in court, and their lawyer was provided because if you are a student you can declare no income. They got out of it because they had all the information on their exhaust showing that it is legal in all 50 states, etc. The way the dB works is not necesarily how loud it is, but when revved to a certain rpm it hits a certain frequency in which they measure to see if it was amplified past the maximum dB's. I would fight it, and I would get my exhaust checked.

Also it states at least in the the CHP handbook (California) that a modified exhaust ticket is issued for exhausts that are trying to amplify sound to an unreasonable level. I know its possible to get out of because my friend has a '68 chevelle with a 542 that sets my car alarm off when it is idling down the street. He got a ticket and it was dropped because his muffler was California legal.