Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

PLEASE READ: 2K1 Suspension Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nsiegel5 is an unknown quantity at this point
PLEASE READ: 2K1 Suspension Replaced

Although I am always afraid to start a new thread because someone yells at you for making a repost I felt this would be nice for people to know. I am a proud owner of a 2K1 coupe and recently I took it to the shop because it was making wierd noises. I had blown out he strusts and shocks on the car and they need to be replaced. I was informed that if you own a 2K1 civic bring it into shop because the suspensions needs to be replaced Honda knows that the parts are faulty and they will replace them all free of charge.

For anyone that does not already know bring your car to shop and have this looked at because I was told that the 2001 models are faulty and need to be replaced and you might as well get it done while they are doing it under warranty.

Last edited by robbclark1; 06-11-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
This has been talked about before but its a good reminder for everyone.

Matt
Old 06-11-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I will sticky this for a bit so those with 2001's can read it. It has been talked about before, but thanks!
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

wannabeblown is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you explain exactly what type of "wierd noises" it was making? Was it like a popping sound when you take tight turns?
Old 06-12-2003
Since 1977

HYPR DRV will become famous soon enough
BLAH, so I'd have to swap back to the stock springs in order to have that crap replaced, right?? I know this has totally been covered, but will Honda touch it with aftermarket springs?? I know they have to be able to prove that the mod is causing the problem, so can they do that? IMO, I don't think it's the mod, it's the stupid stock suspension components. Which is obviosuly the case if they're willing to replace it under warranty. Grrrrr...
Old 06-12-2003
Since 1977

HYPR DRV will become famous soon enough
Whooops, didn't mean to post twice. my bad. get it off, ahhhh!!!

I fixed it for ya.

Last edited by robbclark1; 06-12-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
It is happening on 02s now as well.

Matt
Old 06-13-2003
Show me your titties, I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!

SilverStreakEX is an unknown quantity at this point
waaait!! what??
ive never heard of that? i got a 2k1 and just put on goldlines. so should i still bring it in? is there like a national bullitin or sumthin saying that our cars are faulty?
Old 06-13-2003
Registered!!

I dont know if they have publicly listed a national recall but the dealership told me that they are replacing all the 2k1 civics that come in complaining about suspension because the know that the struts are faulty. Basically your struts are gonna go soon so if your car is still under warranty why not let them replace it for free. If you dont want to bother then just take your chances but to me saving a few hundred dollars later is worth the work now.
Old 06-13-2003
Registered!!

OH yeah and it is a clunking noixe not really a poping but I guess popping may qualify. Trust me it is loud if you have it you will know it, just turn the system down while you are breaking and listen for a second.
Old 06-13-2003
Lek
Registered!!

Lek is an unknown quantity at this point
I've recently had all 4 struts replaced by Honda, but it still makes a hard clunk sound when it goes over small ruts on the road. It also rolls a lot.

I think Honda have really messed up with the steering and suspension on the 7th gen Civic. Just look at the problems on this website alone.
Old 06-19-2003
Banned

sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i never knew this before, i'm going to try to get them to replace it, i have no problems with my suspension though... should i make something up? my car is lowered on neuspeed race... should i go back to stock springs and let them fix it ( i am still under warranty)

also, does anyone have a number that i can get, to ask questions to HONDA to see if i qualify for the replacement of struts? thanks
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

JCap is an unknown quantity at this point
I discovered this problem TOO LATE...... My car started making noises when I got to 70,000 Km...... warranty ended at 60,000 km..... NOOOOOO!

Now I get to bounce around in my car until someone other than Koni makes struts.... I've heard too many bad things about the koni struts to want to invest in them. Plus, I don't like the fact that I would have to hack some of my OE stuff apart and use them in the setup......

Hopefully tokiko or kyb will make something in the next few months because I'm itching to lower my car with the pro-kit (no sense putting in springs now only to have to take the assembly apart to install struts).
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Amplify is an unknown quantity at this point
Once you lower your car, I *thought* the entire suspension warranty was void? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I mean, if the factory shocks are the problem, doesn't lowering your car just accelerate the failure of the shocks?

For the people who just lowered on springs, maybe you should put the factory springs back on before heading down to Honda.
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

SlimmKidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a wierd problem heard noise on when it rains talked about it b4
Old 06-24-2003
Registered!!

JRS1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 2002 civic and am lowered on skunk2 coilovers. i am pretty sure that my shocks are blown and need to be replaced soon. but my car is only at 10,000 miles, will honda replace them for free? or did i void the warranty by lowering my car? is my car still under warranty?
Old 06-24-2003
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
i remember reading the clunking noise is becuase of a fualty spring design. on some of the stock 01 civic springs. the bottom coils sometime hit each other causing the clinking sound.

i have a 2001 coupe ex and have had no such problems. i did however had the break groan problem in which i found out was a TSB a few days ago. but its too late.. i replaced it with cross drilled slotted rotors.. 01 got wayy to many problems
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the recall on all civics or just different models? I have a 2001 ex coupe. I hear some creaking noises every now and then. I was going to purchase a strut bar to see if the creaking would stop. If its all models, please let me know. I could just go to Honda and see. Thanx for the info. Later.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

RSDCivic will become famous soon enough
well time to go aftermarket, I got the problem too, may as well just spend some money on some good struts we'll see how that turns out....
Old 07-08-2003
Truehonda.com

bublik is an unknown quantity at this point
the dealer said its only on the sedans not coupes?!?
Old 07-12-2003
Registered!!

RIC3BOY is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as i know its only the sedans. i have a LX-G sedan (cdn) and i had to get my two front struts replaced, the rear shocks are ok.

as far as the coupes, my sister has a LX coupe and my cousin has a Si-G coupe, and they both get their annual check ups, oil changes, tire rotations, etc etc all at honda. so im guessin the tech ppl at honda probably checked out there rides and there was no problems, since there was no replacements done.

and for those ppl who havent got theirs replaced, i suggest u do it since its free anyway, and anything wrong w/ ur suspension cant be good for your car! symptoms for me were knocking and popping noises everytime i turned the wheels at a standstill.

hope this helps, good luck
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

GrlCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah , my car makes a weird noise too when i turn right, i had my car lowered for a while now and tired of al the head bobbing, i called Ground-control yesterday and the guy told me that KYB are on market, so i'll be getting some relief soon, later this week
Old 07-15-2003
Blv
Registered!!

Blv is an unknown quantity at this point
so, let me clarify this: this is ONLY for the sedan and not the coupe?
Old 07-19-2003
Registered!!

eddie5spdx is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 DX and I just found out that my rear driver side shock is blown. I have been hearing a clunking noise since I have bought it but I didnt know what is was. I sounds like a Helicopter was behind me. See today I was supposed to install my Neuspeed springs and noticed how the rest of the shocks were hard and the rear driver side was too soft. I ended up not installing the springs and called the dealer to see if there was a recall or something. They said I was suppose to have received a letter from Honda about a recall. I am going to take to the dealer Tuesday and I will see what they say.

I was so exited that I was finally going to get my car lowered and didnt. Oh well!
Old 07-19-2003
Registered!!

Oh yeah I have a coupe not a sedan.
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

rac53041 is an unknown quantity at this point
actually the problem is that the frt struts leak thats what causes the noises, I've seen this is on 2001 and 2002 civics sedans and coupes all trim levels we have been replacing the entire strut and spring set on some. The early 2001s also had a problem with the frt springs rubbing were it sits on the strut perch for a couple of months I was replacing at least 1 pair a week
It got so bad that they were on national back order for a while
Old 07-23-2003
Blv
Registered!!

Blv is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to my dealer (Honda of Santa Monica) and thay didn't know anything about the recall

I asked them to replace the suspension though, but they didn't..
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

aznrj is an unknown quantity at this point
would the Tein SS solve the problem?? I dunno much about suspension..
Old 07-24-2003
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
well to late for mine mine warrenty endedbut anyone know how much will it be for new rear shocks...mine bounces and i feel hella stupid... and i sold my old springs. how much does it cost for tekico shocks?..email me Ask4Rey@hotmail.com thanx
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

Well they replaced my strut and not my spring. They didnt ask me any questions and just replaced it for free. I going to start installing my Neuspeed and my SPC camber kit this weekend and I hope I dont find any new surprises.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ: 2K1 Suspension Replaced