Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Crazy wheel stud replacement idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Crazy wheel stud replacement idea

Replacing a wheel stud on a Honda Civic--mine is 2002--is impossible without pressing out the wheel hub--which may damage the wheel bearing--or grinding down the head of the new stud and grinding a groove in the hub.

I have never tried this. But what if you cut the new stud with a Dremel, separating the head from the rest of the stud.

Place the head behind the hole and insert the cut stud through the hole. Then weld the head and stud together but all around--turning it with pliers, etc.

Obviously, I have to figure out how much of a load one wheel stud has to hold and, if it will hold together when driving (especially when speeding, going over bumps, etc.).

I would help to learn how wheel studs are manufactured.

I just think there may be a market for special, quick-install wheel studs for Hondas and other cars.
Old 12-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crazy wheel stud replacement idea

what if you cut the new stud with a Dremel, separating the head from the rest of the stud.

Then weld the head and stud together

I sure don't want to be standing in front of a judge and jury trying to justify performing a hack job such as that.
Old 12-20-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Oh my.
Old 12-23-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If done correctly with the proper tools nothing gets damaged.
Old 12-24-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Don't.

Read about heat treatment.
Old 12-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

this has to be one of the most creative and thoughtful ideas I have heard. You must do this asap!
Old 12-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
this has to be one of the most creative and thoughtful ideas I have heard. You must do this asap!

Old 12-27-2016
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I put crazy in the title.

And no, I haven't tried it.

But inventing a "quick replacement" wheel stud should be tried by automotive engineers.
Old 12-27-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

If you have not read about heat treatment, do it.

Add steel grades to it.

Only solid contact with the world are tires. They attached to the wheels. Then they attached to the hubs by the studs.

Have you ever tried to lift one corner of the car yourself?

Well, that effort is multiplied when car is moving.

Last thing you want screwed is anything suspension, brake, tire related. They connect you to this world. Literally and subjectively