Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Ceramic or semi metallic brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star1967 will become famous soon enough
Ceramic or semi metallic brakes?

I was wondering which are better? I priced front ceramic brake pads $38 for the standard set and $48 for the higher grade set at Autozone. I haven't priced or found semi-metallic pads but I have heard from a racing mechanic about the bad side of ceramics and metallic pads. I delivery pizzas, wings, pasta , and soda. I range between 5 to 20+ deliveries a day on dirt/gravel and chip/seal/asphalt. I also put 16-100+ miles a day on my 2001 Honda Civic.
Old 05-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ceramic or semi metallic brakes?

Factory front pads, $44 over the net. Plus shipping.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2001&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FRO NT+BRAKE

I looked up a LX sedan, but you get the idea.
Old 05-28-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Just get OE pads. Not much more money and a better pad then what autozone carries.
Old 05-28-2015
Registered!!

How much is the OE pads? Lee Summit Honda quoted me $216 for the parts and labor.
Old 05-28-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

$216 for pads and rotors?

Originally Posted by ezone
Factory front pads, $44 over the net.
Old 05-28-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

So $44 × 2 =88 + 130 for labour? Seems about right
Old 05-28-2015
Registered!!

I thought the $44 was for the right and left side.
Old 05-28-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Just had a quick look here.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...ont-brake-scat

Seems like $44 a side to me

Edit maybe not... at be that is both sides... kind of hard to tell.
Old 05-28-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Star1967
How much is the OE pads?
Did you not click the online wholesale dealer catalog link provided and check it out?

Originally Posted by Stock 99
So $44 × 2 =88 + 130 for labour? Seems about right
Nope

I thought the $44 was for the right and left side.
Yep

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Just had a quick look here.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...ont-brake-scat

Seems like $44 a side to me

Edit maybe not... at be that is both sides... kind of hard to tell.
Brake pads are sold as sets---enough to do a pair of wheels.

Front pad SET is $44 from the dealers online at wholesale price.
Retail prices are higher.

One SET is enough pads (4) to do all two wheels on one 'axle' (one end of the car).
If you check the parts pictures, I think most Honda catalogs show 4 pads and the set of backing shims that come in a set.

You would need one set to do all the front brakes, and another set to do all the rear brakes (if rear disc brakes).

(Hondas brake shoes for drum brakes may be sold individually, but we almost never see them worn out bad enough to replace. The cars in my area seem to rust apart before the rear shoes wear out.)

Lee Summit Honda quoted me $216 for the parts and labor.
You should ASK that dealer what THEIR price includes, not a bunch of us clowns on the internet. We ain't trying to sell the job to you, they are.

That sounds like one set of pads and resurfacing the rotors.
The price sounds average for the above work, I think an ordinary brake job at our shop is within about ten bucks of that (per 'axle').
Replacing a pair of rotors would drive the price up quite a bit higher.

HTH
Old 05-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you not click the online wholesale dealer catalog link provided and check it out?

Nope

Yep

Brake pads are sold as sets---enough to do a pair of wheels.

Front pad SET is $44 from the dealers online at wholesale price.
Retail prices are higher.

One SET is enough pads (4) to do all two wheels on one 'axle' (one end of the car).
If you check the parts pictures, I think most Honda catalogs show 4 pads and the set of backing shims that come in a set.

You would need one set to do all the front brakes, and another set to do all the rear brakes (if rear disc brakes).

(Hondas brake shoes for drum brakes may be sold individually, but we almost never see them worn out bad enough to replace. The cars in my area seem to rust apart before the rear shoes wear out.)

You should ASK that dealer what THEIR price includes, not a bunch of us clowns on the internet. We ain't trying to sell the job to you, they are.

That sounds like one set of pads and resurfacing the rotors.
The price sounds average for the above work, I think an ordinary brake job at our shop is within about ten bucks of that (per 'axle').
Replacing a pair of rotors would drive the price up quite a bit higher.

HTH
I did click on the link found a few other parts I need. No I was in a hurry to get home before the traffic gotten weird and they were wanting to sell me a newer Honda Civic. I think so. As for the cars it seems like they rust, the rear bearings go out, or they get rebuilt before the rear brakes need replacing. This other shop that isn't associated with a dealership said 150 and that was without doing the rotors. Where is your shop?
Old 05-28-2015

. Where is your shop?
If the geolocation site is halfway accurate, I'm about a state and a half away from you.
Old 06-08-2015
Registered!!

marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Between the two, I prefer the ceramic pads because they produce less dust and their stopping performance is good.