Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light Diagnosis (need second opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sensuji is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SRS Light Diagnosis (need second opinions)

Hello everyone, this will be my first post to the civicforums, but I've been troubleshooting from the site for 3 years now. Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this SRS light diagnosis. It's on a 2002 Honda Civic EX (2-door coupe). I have already tried the paperclip method to reset the system, but the SRS light comes back after a day or so. Reading these codes are a bit tricky, so I would like to double check before I go to the dealer and hand them my wallet. I believe it's a 21-1 code: Open Circuited Or high Resistance In Driver’s Seat Belt Buckle Pretensioner (Explosive Device). I have posted a youtube video of the code I am getting.
Thank you!

Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough
Re: SRS Light Diagnosis (need second opinions)

Go to Autozone or an auto parts shop that will hook you up to a scanner for free and check for fault codes.
Old 09-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The Zone cannot read SRS codes unless they pull out a far better scanner than their plain OBD2 parts seller/revenue generator (code reader)

The video looks to me like it's blinking 21-1, Open in the drivers buckle pretensioner circuit. (21-2 would be high resistance)

Before just buying a new one......Check underseat connections (and if possible see if the connector in the explosive device can be disconnected).

Disconnect and reconnect those harness connectors one at a time and recheck if the warning light stays out after the initial 7 second self test period after each wiring connection is disconnected and reconnected.

Terminal fretting is sometimes occurs in the (explosive) circuit terminals, it can cause high resistance or open codes. The simple act of disconnect and reconnect can sometimes restore a decent connection between terminals...that's why you recheck after disturbing each connection, so you can tell which one may be the source of the problem.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The Zone cannot read SRS codes unless they pull out a far better scanner than their plain OBD2 parts seller/revenue generator (code reader)

The video looks to me like it's blinking 21-1, Open in the drivers buckle pretensioner circuit. (21-2 would be high resistance)

Before just buying a new one......Check underseat connections (and if possible see if the connector in the explosive device can be disconnected).

Disconnect and reconnect those harness connectors one at a time and recheck if the warning light stays out after the initial 7 second self test period after each wiring connection is disconnected and reconnected.

Terminal fretting is sometimes occurs in the (explosive) circuit terminals, it can cause high resistance or open codes. The simple act of disconnect and reconnect can sometimes restore a decent connection between terminals...that's why you recheck after disturbing each connection, so you can tell which one may be the source of the problem.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will try this solution and post back with any updates.
Old 09-12-2016
Registered!!

It's been 5 days since I tried ezone's suggestion of unplugging and replugging the underseat connectors. I reset the SRS system right after that with a paperclip and the light has been gone ever since . I hope it stays this way
Old 09-12-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sensuji
It's been 5 days since I tried ezone's suggestion of unplugging and replugging the underseat connectors. I reset the SRS system right after that with a paperclip and the light has been gone ever since . I hope it stays this way
When I have a problem such as this narrowed down to a specific connector or connection, I apply a product called "Stabilant-22A" to the terminal pins inside the connector to promote good long term contact between terminals.

Google it. It's not what some people consider cheap, but it can be the next best thing to a miracle when one has electrical/electronic issues like this.
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Scottman is an unknown quantity at this point

When I went in for my airbag recall (less than a year ago), the dealership said there was also a recall on the Driver side seatbelt buckle and replaced mine for free. SRS light is now off.

2002 EX.

FWIW
Scott
Old 09-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
When I have a problem such as this narrowed down to a specific connector or connection, I apply a product called "Stabilant-22A" to the terminal pins inside the connector to promote good long term contact between terminals.

Google it. It's not what some people consider cheap, but it can be the next best thing to a miracle when one has electrical/electronic issues like this.
Wow, you're not kidding. It's currently $54 on Amazon. I think I'll just stick with 90% isopropyl alcohol, but thanks for pointing that product out.

Originally Posted by Scottman
When I went in for my airbag recall (less than a year ago), the dealership said there was also a recall on the Driver side seatbelt buckle and replaced mine for free. SRS light is now off.

2002 EX.

FWIW
Scott
I also went in for an airbag recall last year with my SRS light still on and the dealer guys paid no mind whatsoever. Just did whatever the recall was for and never told me there was another recall for the the seat belt. For good measure they even wrote "SRS light on" on the report/receipt they gave me. But I will pay them a visit if my light ever comes back on again for the seat belt.
Old 09-13-2016

Originally Posted by Sensuji

I also went in for an airbag recall last year with my SRS light still on and the dealer guys paid no mind whatsoever. Just did whatever the recall was for and never told me there was another recall for the the seat belt. For good measure they even wrote "SRS light on" on the report/receipt they gave me. But I will pay them a visit if my light ever comes back on again for the seat belt.
Just in the last few months our factory rep authorized us to fix the bad buckles if we find them (warning light already on upon arrival) during an airbag recall. Maybe your local dealer could be on the same plan?