Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rough idle and drop in MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trentmccor7 is an unknown quantity at this point
rough idle and drop in MPGs

Hello. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching on here and many other forums,but nothing fully describes and answers my question.

First: two winters ago my 04 civic value package started idling rough during the cold months at start up and would go away after it was warm. And went away once it warmed up.

Second: This year it started to do it till this summer I noticed it was even worse. You could turn on the A/C on and it would bog down and shake the entire car and if you put it in gear you wonder if it would stall out and it has twice.

Third: This past month I have noticed it will start running rough when I am sitting at stop sign even after its fully warm and been running for about an hour. Oh and these last two tanks of gas my MPGs have dropped from 34 to 29.

This issue is the worst at first start up when the motor is at its coldest point. Like in the morning and leaving after work all day with it sitting there.

I have gone through and changed the spark plugs and air filter. That has been my starting point.

Sorry so long and thank you in advance.

Car is a 04 Honda civic 1.7 value package so basic car with 231k
Old 07-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: rough idle and drop in MPGs

Good summary on idle issues here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...e-posting.html