Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic LX - Leaking Interior Liner - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrality is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX - Leaking Interior Liner - Please Help!

Hello Everyone,

A week ago, I got in my car while it was raining, and noticed a very wet area on the interior liner. I thought maybe I didn't close the door properly or something, but no, this is happening every time it rains.

I did have a brand new interior liner installed less than 2 years ago, and everything has been fine up until now. There is no sunroof.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Any suggestions for solving this are greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	liner.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	88962  
Old 07-22-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2001 Civic LX - Leaking Interior Liner - Please Help!

check the seals on that door, even pull them away a bit from the body to see if there's an issue, could even be the windshield.
Pull the head liner out of the car and have someone spray the roof with a hose, you'll find the leak
Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrality is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
check the seals on that door, even pull them away a bit from the body to see if there's an issue, could even be the windshield.
Pull the head liner out of the car and have someone spray the roof with a hose, you'll find the leak
Windshield is only 4 years old, I believe, so I doubt that's it.

What about the area on the roof near the door, with the black trim piece running the entire length of the vehicle? I can actually lift that trim piece up, and I don't think that's supposed to happen?
Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Neutrality

What about the area on the roof near the door, with the black trim piece running the entire length of the vehicle? I can actually lift that trim piece up, and I don't think that's supposed to happen?
My car is missing the whole trim piece on one side and I dont get leaks.

Try doing what colin said and check inside while someone runs the hose over the top.
Old 07-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, pull down the headliner and see exactly where the water enters while someone runs water over it....

I bet the roof has a rust hole or dried out seam sealer hidden under that black strip (drip rail trim)
Old 07-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
I bet the roof has a rust hole or dried out seam sealer hidden under that black strip (drip rail trim)

This was a frequent area of water leaks on the Odyssey forum I frequented in the past. I would start there.

No, that black trim piece is not supposed to lift off that easily like you mention.

Water leaks are a PITA. I had a Subaru that had a leak in the driver's A-pillar and would leak rain water over my legs when turning.