Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator suggestions on a budget for 03 1.7L civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator suggestions on a budget for 03 1.7L civic?

I was browsing online for a new alternator for my 03 civic because the bearing seized up on mine and was causing a rubber smell in the cabin. Anywho, I looked on eBay and found these two I don't know if they are any good, or what to look for. I hear always go OEM parts but they are rather expensive. Are these good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNAT...1Wsmna&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AL...lWfF7H&vxp=mtr

What alternators would you recommend getting if not from the above?

Thank you
Old 06-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator suggestions on a budget for 03 1.7L civic?

I hear always go OEM parts but they are rather expensive.
Can you afford to be stranded 100 miles from nowhere in the middle of the night?
Can you afford a tow truck to drag your car in from the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night?

If your fleabay sourced parts fail in the near future, how are you going to get any warranty coverage on them?
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Can you afford to be stranded 100 miles from nowhere in the middle of the night?
Can you afford a tow truck to drag your car in from the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night?

If your fleabay sourced parts fail in the near future, how are you going to get any warranty coverage on them?
All these eBay parts cannot all be crap, I'd imagine there are some gems. That's why I made this post, was hoping someone could point out a few places to buy decent parts. Should I get used instead? there is a local place I know that will sell me this part for 47$ but the car has 177k miles on it.
Old 06-11-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got a local starter and alternator rebuilder?

My town used to have two of them, one always used the high quality parts and their rebuilds were darn reliable. The owner retired and the shop is closed.

The other place uses only the cheapest parts, the quality from that place is on par with what discount parts stores are selling.

If I want a quality rebuild done now, I have to go to the next large town 45 minutes away, but it's worth it IMO.
You can try to rebuild your own, there should be a stickied thread about it on this forum somewhere.
Old 06-11-2016

All these eBay parts cannot all be crap, I'd imagine there are some gems.
Maybe, but if you can't tell anything about the quality ahead of time, the price says it is probably not great.
Again, most likely on par with what the discount parts stores are selling.

I know that will sell me this part for 47$ but the car has 177k miles on it.
Is it original or a replacement?

If it's original at that mileage I wouldn't expect it to last much longer, but you never know.
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Is it original or a replacement?

If it's original at that mileage I wouldn't expect it to last much longer, but you never know.
I think it's the original. Here is where I went to:

https://brandywineparts.hollandersto...7l),-us-market

Not sure about the 114K one. The 177k is grade B by their standards.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

@ezone

Do you think that part at 114K will be ok? never bought used before not sure what to expect.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you would be better off with a used OEM alternator then something off ebay,

if your going to go aftermarket buy it at a local parts store and MAKE SURE it comes with a good warranty
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

if your going to go aftermarket buy it at a local parts store and MAKE SURE it comes with a good warranty
Yeah, always heard going OEM is the best. The local used parts place I posted is where I think I'll get the alternator from. Guessing those are OEM but not 100% sure if they are it doesn't state that on their page. 35$ for an alternator from either a 177k or 114k seems too good to be true? the 177k is grade B, how accurate could that be? I don't see them giving an warranty with them.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Niaboc67
Yeah, always heard going OEM is the best. The local used parts place I posted is where I think I'll get the alternator from. Guessing those are OEM but not 100% sure if they are it doesn't state that on their page. 35$ for an alternator from either a 177k or 114k seems too good to be true? the 177k is grade B, how accurate could that be? I don't see them giving an warranty with them.
you could check scrap/junk yards,

some let you go in and remove the part from the car yourself (around here anyway), you might be able to check the mileage on the car u are pulling it from

some places also sell rebuilt/refurbished OEM alts,

at a local scrap yard in my area they have a $50 day once a month, you pay $50 and you can go in and take anything you want (as many parts as you want) as long as you can carry it all out by yourself in one trip, they have a picture of a guy carrying an engine out LOL!

Last edited by mikey1; 06-13-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

you could check scrap/junk yards,

some let you go in and remove the part from the car yourself (around here anyway), you might be able to check the mileage on the car u are pulling it from

some places also sell rebuilt/refurbished OEM alts,

at a local scrap yard in my area they have a $50 day once a month, you pay $50 and you can go in and take anything you want (as many parts as you want) as long as you can carry it all out by yourself in one trip, they have a picture of a guy carrying an engine out LOL!

That's pretty much what the place does. It's a U-pull it type operation. What am I looking for when inspecting an alternator is what I am wondering.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

It looks like they just got a new alternator in today actually. Here is a link:

https://brandywineparts.hollandersto...-2336279-607-8

The car has 208k miles on it yet the alternator they claim in grade A, could this be true? What do you think about it?

Also, when changing parts on my car I misplaced a bolt. The middle bolt on the bracket of the adjusting wing nut, the one with the blue circle around it, cannot find a replacement anywhere for it, do you know anywhere that might sell that bolt?

Last edited by Niaboc67; 06-14-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2016

It looks like they just got a new alternator in today actually. Here is a link:

The car has 208k miles on it yet the alternator they claim in grade A, could this be true? What do you think about it?

I didn't see it.

Depends on what the criteria is for their A/B/C/D/F rating scale.
If A only means clean and shiny.......who gives a crap? You need one that works.
If it's a recent replacement, look for stickers on the unit indicating what company it came from..... You also need to know what companies are aftermarket suppliers, to judge this LOL

Also, when changing parts on my car I misplaced a bolt. The middle bolt on the bracket of the adjusting wing nut, the one with the blue circle around it, cannot find a replacement anywhere for it, do you know anywhere that might sell that bolt?
Same junkyard. Get it from the car you steal the alternator from.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

I didn't see it.

Depends on what the criteria is for their A/B/C/D/F rating scale.
If A only means clean and shiny.......who gives a crap? You need one that works.
If it's a recent replacement, look for stickers on the unit indicating what company it came from..... You also need to know what companies are aftermarket suppliers, to judge this LOL

Same junkyard. Get it from the car you steal the alternator from.
Yeah, I cannot find any of the criteria for what's a grade A/B/C is...and I'll definitely check the brand, if it's one of those TYC pieces of crap there is no way in hell. But if it's OEM then maybe, what should I check for when they bring it out?

also, do those sorts of places usually let you buy random things like bolts off the car, I misplaced that middle bolt for bracket where the belt tensioner resides. Thinking I would offer like $5 for it.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2016

Yeah, I cannot find any of the criteria for what's a grade A/B/C is...and I'll definitely check the brand, if it's one of those TYC pieces of crap there is no way in hell. But if it's OEM then maybe, what should I check for when they bring it out?
Stock alternator was made by Mitsubishi, so look for the name or their diamond-star logo or a Honda sticker indicating it was a Honda reman.

Hell, if you want a working alternator just take it and deal with whatever you get.

My first reply was really just to give you a bunch of static for what you said about OEM being "rather expensive".
also, do those sorts of places usually let you buy random things like bolts off the car, I misplaced that middle bolt for bracket where the belt tensioner resides. Thinking I would offer like $5 for it.

Thanks
Ask them.

It's a junkyard, that's what they do.
You can get whatever you want from a car at most of them, if it's still with the car.
Old 06-16-2016
Registered!!

Thanks
honestly if it was me i would just put the bolt in my pocket or toolbox while i was pulling the alternator, i dont think they are going to miss it very much, on the slim chance they catch you just say its part of the alternator so you thought it came with it
Old 06-16-2016
Registered!!

Stock alternator was made by Mitsubishi, so look for the name or their diamond-star logo or a Honda sticker indicating it was a Honda reman.

Hell, if you want a working alternator just take it and deal with whatever you get.

My first reply was really just to give you a bunch of static for what you said about OEM being "rather expensive".
Ask them.

It's a junkyard, that's what they do.
You can get whatever you want from a car at most of them, if it's still with the car.

I don't think they'll have a problem with me requesting that bolt. Now just have to get a rid up there

Just rechecked the website all are stated to be: Mitsubishi Manufacturer (1.7L), Us Market

Other than it being an OEM and checking that the bearing/pulley isn't seized. Is there any ways of telling if the alternator is in good shape mechanically/electrically before putting it into my car?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-16-2016

Stop by autozone and have them bench test it for you
Old 06-18-2016
Registered!!

Stop by autozone and have them bench test it for you
Thanks will do. Is there any way to prevent the bearing from seizing up on this one. And any anti-rust preventions that I can use? This whole alternator thing has left out of commision.
Old 06-18-2016

Is there any way to prevent the bearing from seizing up on this one.
Pick a low mileage unit? Bearing lockup without warning seems kinda rare, but the warning signs can be easy to ignore.
I'd expect subtle signs of impending failure such as lots of noise long before complete failure, but that might not always be every case.
Old 06-19-2016
Registered!!

AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point

OEM 03 civic alternators cost 45$ at chop shops. Used obviously but 30 day warranty so get it tested at NAPA
Old 06-21-2016
Registered!!

Ok, so I got the alternator now. Going to install it soon maybe in the next few days because it's starting to rain here and daylight is fading. Want to get it tested too.

Around 12pm today I arrived at the junkyard, the first building sells tested alternators and the place next door allow you to pull parts out of the junk yard. First stop was the tested parts building. I went in asked for what they had, they searched their database and I was shown an image of a front end collision civic 01-03. Wasn't in terrible condition, mileage was 87k. The price for the alternator from this car was 35$, I agreed and waited about 20 minutes for them to bring it out. When they bring it to me it's rusted beyond belief and on the verge of seizing up too! I told them no way I am buying that. So the front end guy tells me it was a mistake and that was a core alternator, which I come to find out is what they call the the old parts that customers return in after installing their replacement parts. So then they bring me another which apparently is what I was suppose to get originally, feeling skeptical at this point I tell them I'll think about it. I examine this other one, the pulley spins freely looks like it's in decent shape. But of course, it's not OEM as I had wanted. They gave me a 30 day warranty. The bill comes to 65$ because they tacked on a 1 year warranty, I told them I would not want that then the bill comes to 53$ and that I can bring in my old seized alternator to get $15 back so all I'll be down 38$.

I was able to head into the junkyard and get that bolt for free, they owner saw the bolt and said "Have a good day!". The OEM alternators they had in the junkyard were in rough shape, or else I would have opted for that.
Old 07-13-2016
Registered!!

AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so I got the alternator now. Going to install it soon maybe in the next few days because it's starting to rain here and daylight is fading. Want to get it tested too.

Around 12pm today I arrived at the junkyard, the first building sells tested alternators and the place next door allow you to pull parts out of the junk yard. First stop was the tested parts building. I went in asked for what they had, they searched their database and I was shown an image of a front end collision civic 01-03. Wasn't in terrible condition, mileage was 87k. The price for the alternator from this car was 35$, I agreed and waited about 20 minutes for them to bring it out. When they bring it to me it's rusted beyond belief and on the verge of seizing up too! I told them no way I am buying that. So the front end guy tells me it was a mistake and that was a core alternator, which I come to find out is what they call the the old parts that customers return in after installing their replacement parts. So then they bring me another which apparently is what I was suppose to get originally, feeling skeptical at this point I tell them I'll think about it. I examine this other one, the pulley spins freely looks like it's in decent shape. But of course, it's not OEM as I had wanted. They gave me a 30 day warranty. The bill comes to 65$ because they tacked on a 1 year warranty, I told them I would not want that then the bill comes to 53$ and that I can bring in my old seized alternator to get $15 back so all I'll be down 38$.

I was able to head into the junkyard and get that bolt for free, they owner saw the bolt and said "Have a good day!". The OEM alternators they had in the junkyard were in rough shape, or else I would have opted for that.
Sorry late response but... Any auto parts store with a back counter can test an alternator. They will be able to determine if the pulley is worn at all too.