Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 EX Head Repair Question - Timing Belt Failed Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BR549 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX Head Repair Question - Timing Belt Failed Starting

My 2001EX auto has 127K. I had the timing belt replaced (not at Honda dealer, my bad!) at 105k in Dec 2012, then 6 months ago it failed at 127K while trying to start it one morning. I don't know if the engine started, or if the belt came off before it started, but the engine spins quickly without compression when you hit the starter. Car is still sitting in driveway. I did detect some noise in the head the day before, like it jumped time or something.
Question: are there clear, concise step by step instructions on how to remove the head on this site? I mean clear instructions with what peripheral components to remove and in what order, etc? I may try to fix it myself.
Also, I am assuming a Honda OEM head gasket is the best choice? I would buy OEM Honda timing belt kit as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2001 EX Head Repair Question - Timing Belt Failed Starting

Remove the valve cover and take a look at the belt. Are you taking the head off to fix possible bent valves?

The tensioner may have failed, was that replaced with the belt?

Last edited by GolNat; 06-24-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Answered my own ?
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Remove the valve cover and take a look at the belt. Are you taking the head off to fix possible bent valves?

The tensioner may have failed, was that replaced with the belt?
Supposedly everything was replaced. Spent over 800 on the job. Thanks.
I assume valves are bent...
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BR549
the engine spins quickly without compression when you hit the starter
that is a sign of open valves, when they should not be open

odds are something is wrong with the timing, timing belt snapped, timing belt damaged, timing belt jumped teeth, etc etc
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Install new timing belt and tensioner if needed. After that check the compression. If low or different then take off the head replace the bent valves. Autozone head gasket is fine.

My 2001EX auto has 127K. I had the timing belt replaced (not at Honda dealer, my bad!) at 105k in Dec 2012, then 6 months ago it failed at 127K while trying to start it one morning. I don't know if the engine started, or if the belt came off before it started, but the engine spins quickly without compression when you hit the starter. Car is still sitting in driveway. I did detect some noise in the head the day before, like it jumped time or something.
Question: are there clear, concise step by step instructions on how to remove the head on this site? I mean clear instructions with what peripheral components to remove and in what order, etc? I may try to fix it myself.
Also, I am assuming a Honda OEM head gasket is the best choice? I would buy OEM Honda timing belt kit as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Rockauto.com has the cheapest valves and they are good.
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Not sure of how much garage mechanics you have had. Even with a Honda service manual and all Honda OEM part (which by the way is the only way to go) this is a very complicated job. Especially with bent valves. More then likely, someone failed to do something correct and I assumed they were a mechanic.. Bite the bullet, tow it to a Honda dealer and get an estimate. At most, you are going to be out a few hundred. Bet at 15 years old, the car is junk now except to someone who can do their own work.
Old 06-24-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-belt-diy.html
Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

also check Youtube

You Can Do It!
Old 06-25-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
all Honda OEM part
I agree. At least for the gaskets, belts and tensioner. Valves I would go OEM or aftermarket but with something like crower.

I never liked Rock Auto.

At most, you are going to be out a few hundred.
If he needs a new head he is looking at more like $1500. That's how much it cost me when my tensioner failed.
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

If you find out that the tensioner was the problem replace also the tensioner bolt with 1/4" longer bolt.
There is a space.
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emich
If you find out that the tensioner was the problem replace also the tensioner bolt with 1/4" longer bolt.
There is a space.
Why?

isnt Locktite good enough?
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Thanks again for all your comments and links, they're much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Why would you use locktite if you have space for longer bolt?
I would say put longer bolt and use locktite.
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GolNat
I agree. At least for the gaskets, belts and tensioner. Valves I would go OEM or aftermarket but with something like crower.

I never liked Rock Auto.

If he needs a new head he is looking at more like $1500. That's how much it cost me when my tensioner failed.
The $200 I was referring to was for the tow and estimate. If he can get fixed what is broken now for $1500 from a Honda dealer, he will be one lucky person. However, it problem would be correct.