Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch engagement iissues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all-lude is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch engagement iissues

Lately ive been experiencing some weird cltuch pedal issues with my 7thgen. To note, I know the input shaft bearing is pretty bad and requires replacement.

The issue is, ill start my car in the morning and when i press the clutch pedal in its a little soft. Maybe an 1.5" of free play, but still able to shift no problem. Then after a half hour of city driving, im noticing that my pedal is becoming more firm to the point were the free play is all gone .
I had a full car full, going up hill and the clutch started to slip as if it was slightly depressed( The clutch and pressure plate have under 10K since install)

I adjusted the clutch pedal after that day, and it hasnt gone to the point of slipping again but does get very firm.
You let the car cool down overnight and its soft with some free play.

Ive checked the fluid, and im not loosing any. I thought maybe air in the system but its also been 5000k since installing a mastercylinder and bleeding.

Im not a transmission expert by any means, im wondering the the bad input shaft bearing could some how allow the shaft itself to move slighty causing the clutch itself to be shifted more towards the flywheel?

Im going to try to bleed the system again tomorrow using a vacuum bleeder
Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 03-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clutch engagement iissues

I'd check free play in the pedal pushrod adjustment. Insufficient free play could cause it to do what you described.

Check for contaminated fluid, make sure nobody dumped in oil or something.