Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Took off the timing belt cover to inspect and....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicNivik is an unknown quantity at this point
Took off the timing belt cover to inspect and....

so i was inspecting my timing belt and im not really sure if the belt is original. the car has 240,000 km on it (150,000 miles) and i can still read the writing on the timing belt on the back side and its not glossy on the back.

Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Took off the timing belt cover to inspect and....

not sure what your question is ?

i highly doubt is the original belt,

the writing does not normally wear off the belt regardless of mileage, timing belts dont show signs of wear, thats why you need to guage them by time/years and mileage,

my timing belt looked pretty much new after 90,000 miles when i changed it
Old 02-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There's a mighty fine line between the time a timing belt begins to show signs of aging, and that "OH ****" moment it strips all the teeth around the crank gear on a super cold morning and bends all the open valves.

You DON'T want to let a timing belt show its age. Change it long before it shows.
In fact, you are supposed to remove it to inspect for wear at the teeth and stuff..... If you have it off for any reason, just replace it.
A new OE belt for a D17 engine is only $20.48 at Majestic.
Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicNivik is an unknown quantity at this point

i guess the question was should i replace it. but i just decided to do it anyways, got the belt, water pump, tensioner, cam shaft seal, crankshaft seal and thermostat since ill be draining the coolant out anyways.