Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civid SI

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maryanntorres70 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civid SI

I am hoping to get some advice. My 2002 honda civic si vtech months back over heated due to the fans not working and I changed out the thermostat. Last week it over heated again forcing the hose to come off. I understand I may need to change out the thermostat again but here is what confuses me. I don't even have to start the car, just turn the key and the temp jumps to high and stays that way when started. Before I changed it last time the temp started out cold and slowly rose. No fans are working but the car starting out on hi is what is confusing me. Im just not sure if I should change out the thermostat again or try something else.

If anyone is willing to give me advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

MaryAnn

Last edited by maryanntorres70; 10-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Honda Civid SI

over heated due to the fans not working and I changed out the thermostat. Last week it over heated again forcing the hose to come off.
So it's been overheated at least twice now. Could have severe engine damage because of the overheating events.
Could have radiator damage now too.

Was the thermostat repair just a wildass guess, or was it actually diagnosed as the cause of the problem?

Did the original problem (fans not running) ever get corrected?
I'm guessing not?

just turn the key and the temp jumps to high and stays that way
I'd connect a scanner to the computer to see what it reads the temp as, see what codes are stored in it and see what the freeze frame shows (if it has a ECT related fault code in it).

Then I'd evaluate if the head gasket has been breached and attempt to evaluate the extent of the damage to the engine, see if it needs to come apart for further inspection and evaluation.
AND see why the fans don't run.

Then sit down and make an estimate for repairs.

If this is the Si with a K20 engine, this ain't gonna be easy or cheap.
Old 10-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maryanntorres70 is an unknown quantity at this point

I should have said that the first time it overheated was last year and after I changed the thermostat the fans came back on and no problem since so I thought the fan problem was solved. Also there was a code for the etc sensor and I also changed that. (thank god for youtube) The second time it overheated was last week. Once I put back on the hose, filled it, then let the car run the temp automat went to high. I let the car run a bit and the fans never came on.

Thank you for the advice, I will get it scanned for the codes today and go from there.

One last question please, I changed out the intake to a cold air intake and do to constant rain I changed back. I did this my self so could I have done something when disconnecting and reconnecting everything to cause this?

Nothing is easy or cheap with the car.
Old 10-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryanntorres70
the temp automat went to high. I let the car run a bit and the fans never came on.
Need to fix the gauge problem. Without that, it's difficult to judge temps from inside the car. That's why I said to read (scanner data list) what the computer sees for coolant temperature.

One last question please, I changed out the intake to a cold air intake and do to constant rain I changed back. I did this my self so could I have done something when disconnecting and reconnecting everything to cause this?
If everything worked after the reinstall, I'd guess it's not related to the current problem. But then again, anything is possible. Inspect?