Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Steering system is leaking badly on 2002 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blockablocka is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering system is leaking badly on 2002 Civic

Hey what's up guys. Just a few days ago i was driving my car and all of a sudden my wheel was so hard to turn so i'm like what the **** is wrong. Checked under the hood and yeah there was hardly any power steering fluid left so i went to the store and bought a couple bottles of fluid. Filled it up and within 10 minutes it was all gone again.

Now i seen that it was leaking from one of the hoses but it has to be leaking somewhere else too, but my question isn't how to fix it.

My question is can i drive without the full power steering system? Can i just remove all of it and drive fine? Will it affect anything other than using more muscle to turn the wheel?

Right now i'm driving with almost no fluid, and it makes a loud loud whining sound when i'm in a parking lot or at really low speeds turning the wheel. People stare and they're like wtf?
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Power Steering system is leaking badly on 2002 Civic

Originally Posted by blockablocka
Hey what's up guys. Just a few days ago i was driving my car and all of a sudden my wheel was so hard to turn so i'm like what the **** is wrong. Checked under the hood and yeah there was hardly any power steering fluid left so i went to the store and bought a couple bottles of fluid. Filled it up and within 10 minutes it was all gone again.

Now i seen that it was leaking from one of the hoses but it has to be leaking somewhere else too, but my question isn't how to fix it.

My question is can i drive without the full power steering system? Can i just remove all of it and drive fine? Will it affect anything other than using more muscle to turn the wheel?

Right now i'm driving with almost no fluid, and it makes a loud loud whining sound when i'm in a parking lot or at really low speeds turning the wheel. People stare and they're like wtf?

uuummmm, thats kind of like running your engine without oil, do you think that is a good idea?.....needless to say, you need to find the leak and fix it
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

so i can't just remove the power steering system and drive without it?
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

so i can't just remove the power steering system and drive without it?
uuummm no,

not unless you remove your entire steering system/rack, and install a manual steering system, like back in the 70's?

probably not even possible with todays vehicles, and would probably cost more then repairing yours
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Ok so i just check it out the leak is coming from the hose that's connected to the power steering rack. It's leaking right where it connects to it. It drips every 2 seconds. I'm going to repair myself so how much do you think it would be?
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Ok so i just check it out the leak is coming from the hose that's connected to the power steering rack. It's leaking right where it connects to it. It drips every 2 seconds. I'm going to repair myself so how much do you think it would be?
i cant see anything from here, no way for me to tell whats wrong,

if you are really lucky, you might only need to replace that hose,

that would be a cheap fix
Old 08-25-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

remove the belt. steering will be hard. normally, when doing powersteering delete, you need to plug the pipes. take to a mechanic. not sure if you destroying something else.