Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd HVAC Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvilMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Odd HVAC Behaviour

I am having an intermittent issue with the HVAC in my 2003 EX Coupe. At unpredictable intervals, immediately after starting the car, the temperature control will not work correctly, i.e. heat will blow cold (even if the car is warmed up) or the AC will blow hot air. It is so intermittent and random that I have no idea where to start the diagnostic process.

The biggest thing I wish I were able to ascertain is if the AC compressor is engaging when selected to defrost (hot.) I know it is a Honda thing for the AC compressor to engage regardless of AC selector button position if cold defrost is selected, so I feel like if the compressor was engaging when selected hot that may narrow it down to a bad temperature control rheostat in the dash.

Anybody had this problem? Any ideas on what I should start looking at first? Should I just replace the dash controller and see what happens?

Thanks,

EM
Old 07-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Odd HVAC Behaviour

Yes, AFAIK the compressor is used during defrost. You can tell when it's on because the compressor is located on the driver's side of your engine bay and should only work when it's activated. If you don't know where it is, just look in that area with car running and the A/C and defrost OFF. Make a note of which belt isn't moving. Make sure it IS moving when you turn the A/C or defroster ON. You can usually hear a difference with the engine noise too!
Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poopies
Yes, AFAIK the compressor is used during defrost. You can tell when it's on because the compressor is located on the driver's side of your engine bay and should only work when it's activated. If you don't know where it is, just look in that area with car running and the A/C and defrost OFF. Make a note of which belt isn't moving. Make sure it IS moving when you turn the A/C or defroster ON. You can usually hear a difference with the engine noise too!
So when the AC compressor is off the belt doesn't move? I'm confused... obviously not the power steering belt, so the other one below it won't move? Mine is always moving when my engine is running... maybe my compressor is running all the time. This can't be good for my mpg!
Old 07-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Make a note of which belt isn't moving.
The BELTS are always moving when the engine is running.

OP must watch the compressor clutch hub to see if it is engaged and spinning or not.

OK the hot/cold thing I guess you need to figure out if the HVAC system is actually changing the blend door (temperature control) modes

or if there is something else going on. Or not going on, since some things may be normal....
immediately after starting the car,

the AC will blow hot air.
They will do this....
Example: you drive along and have the car all warmed up and AC blowing cold, then stop at the store and shut the car off.....
You shop for like 15-30 minutes.......
You come back out of the store and get back in and expect cold air immediately, it's gonna be blowing damn hot until the AC system gets to operating for a few minutes and internal pressures are where they need to be to take heat out of the cabin air.

I wish I were able to ascertain is if the AC compressor is engaging when selected to defrost (hot.)
If the AC system is operable, it SHOULD run when defrost is selected, regardless of temperature selected. Job #1 of any AC system is to dehumidify the air and that's exactly what the front defroster (defogger) system must do.

The AC button will not illuminate when defrost is selected, even though the AC may run.
Old 07-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

OP must watch the compressor clutch hub to see if it is engaged and spinning or not.
Forgot about the clutch :
Old 07-09-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'm done editing now LOL
Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

EvilMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

OK the hot/cold thing I guess you need to figure out if the HVAC system is actually changing the blend door (temperature control) modes

or if there is something else going on. Or not going on, since some things may be normal....
They will do this....
Example: you drive along and have the car all warmed up and AC blowing cold, then stop at the store and shut the car off.....
You shop for like 15-30 minutes.......
You come back out of the store and get back in and expect cold air immediately, it's gonna be blowing damn hot until the AC system gets to operating for a few minutes and internal pressures are where they need to be to take heat out of the cabin air.

If the AC system is operable, it SHOULD run when defrost is selected, regardless of temperature selected. Job #1 of any AC system is to dehumidify the air and that's exactly what the front defroster (defogger) system must do.

The AC button will not illuminate when defrost is selected, even though the AC may run.
I get what you're saying about the AC blowing hot air, yes I'm aware it will be hot for a while. But it is blowing HEATED air like the selector is in the wrong position. And in the winter, the defrost will blow cold air even if the car is warm (coolant is hot.) It's the weirdest thing I've ever encountered. Also, it is completely random. The system will work normally 9/10 times or more, then I get a hot air bath for no apparent reason. I am completely befuddled as to the cause.

Also, there is no questioning when it is acting up. I bought the car new, I know how long it takes to heat up/cool down. Something errant is going on inside the thing.
Old 07-09-2014

I was just pointing out that an AC system can blow 'heated' air under certain conditions even when working properly.

--------

So it would seem you need to determine whether or not the blend (temperature) door is being controlled (moving) at the wrong times.

If it is, then it's a HVAC control related issue.

If not, then it's something else entirely different.

----------

A heater core with a trapped air pocket may blow cold air at seemingly random times.
It's one of the first noticeable symptoms of a blown head gasket.
Not the only possible cause, but a very common cause.

If your engine is overheating, the computer can and will shut off the AC compressor.
Again, another symptom of a blown head gasket.
Not the only possible cause, but a very common cause.

HTH