Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2005   #1
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enough Eightball will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Eightball
Unhappy Heat only works while driving.

My heater takes forever to warm up and it only blows out warm air while I'm driving. When I'm stopped, cold air blows out. I'm not low on coolant. What all can cause this? My wipers and windows were moving slow today, so i'm wondering about my alternator.......Help me out guys!!
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #2
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to streetglower
does your car take longer then normal to heat up? Sounds like a sticking thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFLYsi View Post
just got pulled over the other day for having JDM yellow headlights, the cop told me it was illegal to have yellow lights, only white, any comments on this. i was just sittin in my slab with trunk poppin and my candy paint drippin off my doors.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #3
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea good idea. if the radiator is full (and reserve tank too), then either its air in the system (doubtful but can you hear water rushing sounds?) or thermostat.
Old 12-07-2005   #4
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Points: 12,697, Level: 73 Points: 12,697, Level: 73 Points: 12,697, Level: 73
Level up: 62%, 153 Points needed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
tinman is just really nice tinman is just really nice tinman is just really nice tinman is just really nice tinman is just really nice
Does the temp gauge come up to it's normal level when this happens? If it does, it's not the thermostat. If it does not, or fluctuates a lot, it's the thermostat.
I would check for air in the system first, though.
Old 12-08-2005   #5
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enough Eightball will become famous soon enough
The temp gauge stays the same and I hear no water rushing sounds. It can take like 10-15 minutes to warm up unless i'm actually driving it where the rpms are up. it wont warm up at idle. Then when i stop the hot air turns cold until i get going again.
Old 12-08-2005   #6
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
might be sticky thermostat
Old 12-09-2005   #7
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura about redem2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
yea good idea. if the radiator is full (and reserve tank too), then either its air in the system (doubtful but can you hear water rushing sounds?) or thermostat.
what is that rushing sound?
redem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #8
Super Moderator

it sounds like a river running through the dash.
Old 12-09-2005   #9
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura about redem2 has a spectacular aura about
i know that...what makes it?
redem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #10
Super Moderator

air bubbles moving through the coolant in the heater core (located in the dash).
Old 12-19-2005   #11
Registered!!

Ok so i'm driving my car today and my heat quits and the needle went past the top line on the temp gauge. I parked and the needle started going up and down up and down. I'm gonna replace the thermostat before i go to work tomorrow. I hope that fixes it. The heat has not been working right for about 2 weeks, but this is the first time the temp needle has moved at all from normal. Anybody got any tips for me before I replace the thermostat. Is there a DIY for that?
Old 12-19-2005   #12
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to streetglower
just drain the coolant, and remove the 2 bolts from the lower radiator hose where it meets the block and remove the housing. the thermostat is behind there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFLYsi View Post
just got pulled over the other day for having JDM yellow headlights, the cop told me it was illegal to have yellow lights, only white, any comments on this. i was just sittin in my slab with trunk poppin and my candy paint drippin off my doors.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #13
Registered!!

So I replaced the thermostat, changed the coolant, got the air out. The temp gauge isn't moving anymore but now my heat randomly comes on and off. Before i replaced the thermostat the heat only quit when i stopped, now it's just random. Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2005   #14
Registered!!

civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem, As in another post i made, They changed my water pump timing belt to save on labor .anyway i got ripped off by that mechanic. I took it to honda, they fooled me into replacing an ect sensor that didnt work. I think we may have a bad head gasket! Now i gotta take it to honda and have em do a Pressure test on the cylinders. honda tech told me this could be causing the problem. Spent 800.00 On B.S so far lets see what happens now
civicstreetrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005   #15
Super Moderator

Hey man whats up^^ haha that stupid dh head messed up my car. i just paid honda $500 to put the stock head back cause the gasket blew out. and they didn't even do a good job but at least the car runs normally.

you need to do a coolant pressure test. a cylinder compression test would tell you too but not as precise. i first paid a shop $80 to diagnose, they said the coolant pressure would drop over time, and coolant was burning in the cylinder causing misfires and stuff. i did a compression test myself and they all came out the same altho really hi like 200-210 psi.

but before you spend the money, just throw on a new radiator cap just in case thats the problem.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-27-2005 at 04:53 PM.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #16
Registered!!

Well let us know what you find out. I don't want to take my car to Honda and get ripped off.....again.....
Old 12-29-2005
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
7th , car , civic , driving , gauge , heat , heater , honda , long , moving , part , quit , temp , time , warm , works