Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!

hey!!! okay i got my dual-groove pulley on monday and had it installed today...after about 7 hours of having it in the shop (yeah i was really surprised it took that long)...they finally finished!! Unfortunately i wasn't able to get the measurements of the new belts needed...i will try to go back there tomorrow and find out for my fellow 7thgeners...okay now the air conditioner losing power issue is almost non-existent...the a/c works about the same as before...i did feel that the power steering got a little weaker...but its not too noticeable...and finally the gains...according the my "butt dyno" my car seems to pull alot more....but you all know how accurate those dynoes are...so just to see if any gains were actually made or if it was just me i'll be taking my car to the track next saturday!!! From what i've felt so far...this pulley seems to be living up to its expectations!! great work dh-racing!!!

P.s. the shopowner told me that my alternator is now working slower since the pulley was installed...what will be possible reprocussions of this?

Last edited by SLeePeRCIVICHopeful; 02-20-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think you can run a big system now..
Old 02-20-2004

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
sound isn't my biggest priority
Old 02-20-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's cool, but I have a moderate system, and stuff dims as it is with all the lights I have running off it. I hope this won't be a problem. As long as the voltage stays up, it should be fine. I've got a voltmeter, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

AZNRACR is on a distinguished road
Any pics???
Old 02-20-2004

Originally posted by AZNRACR
Any pics???
not yet...no digicam...i'll try to get some asap
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
damn, alternator working slower? my lights already dim as it is with my reg speakers and 1 1200w sub. I hope this wont be a problem. How much did it cost to install?
Old 02-20-2004

sadly it cost $180 which includes the labor and new belts....i still feel like i got jipped (sp?)...but its on now and that's all that matters to me...
Old 02-20-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah let us know about belt sizes. Is it working good so far?
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

If you go back tomorrow to ask for the belt sizes, can you also ask the shop owner what will the "slower alternator" effect? For example, would you still be able to run a decent sized system?
Old 02-20-2004

its great...can't wait to take it to the track....and yeah i'll try to get the pulley sizes tomorrow...hopefully they won't be shady about it...

jayfreazy: actually they told me that if i had a system if would be alot weaker..but i don't have one so it wasn't a problem...
Old 02-20-2004
Premium Member

So I'm guessing that means it won't be putting out the usual 14.4 volts. Well, hmmm.... we'll see what happens. The car already has problems without a system. Just rolling up the windows is enough to dim the lights. I have two amps and sub, tons of LEDs and glow wire, neon underglows, and other things. Hope the car can handle itself.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
dude, im gonna whip out my breaker bar again to install mine!! hahaha

no way will i want to go through that agony again....im going to rent an impact wrench
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
hey about the alternator....would it last longer now that its not being used to its full potential?
Old 02-20-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for reporting back now that you've installed it. People always say "I'll tell you how it is when I install it" and then they never post about it. Good job. Be sure to post your track times.
Old 02-20-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
get a capacitor for like 50bucks (good quality) it should fix the dimming of your lights...
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Tell DH to make a smaller pulley for the alternator, and AC and it will run like stock.....I don't understand why no one does this for - you can still have your extra HP, AND the AC and power - yet no one (that I know of) makes smaller pulleys for them. It wouldn't be for more HP, just to keep things working properly with the smaller crank pulley......
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

berettagtz117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats good news just let us know on the belt sizes to use!
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Job man, I cant wait to see the gains from this.
Not too happy about the loss of system power but I am not running a big system anyway.

Crashoveride
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Really need to know the belt size
Old 02-20-2004

Originally posted by mootlif3
Really need to know the belt size
i know i know...will be working on that today...like i said i hope the "performance shop" guy isn't shady...he seemed like it yesterday and the day before...i actually had to contact the owner cause the guy working at the shop kept stalling...saying "yeah we'll be done in 30 minutes"...so i go there an hour later and he goes "yeah we'll be done in an hour i'll give you a call..."....hour and a half passes...so i decided to call him...and so he says "oh our mechanic went to go and work on something else...then get his lunch...and he'll come back to your car...it'll be done in an hour and a half...."...and so i got my car back about 3 hours later...i'll be calling today though just for you guys....
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome. I just need to know the belt size, installing tomorrow and it would suck if they had to order the belt or something. I'm impatient .
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to crazy about losing alternator power either. Has anyone asked Josh at DH about this yet?
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
Do our alternators already not produce that much? They seem a little weaker stock then other cars, do you think installing a grounding kit might help this out with the new pulley?
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Anyone with a decent sized system (sub, 2 amps, hi and lows) installing this anytime soon? I wasnt aware of this alternator thing till last night
Old 02-20-2004
Premium Member

That would be me. I've got a sub with amp, and another amp for the speakers. I've also got tons of lighting. Stuff seems to dim even with the system is turned off, so the stock electronics already suck. I'll let you know what happens, but not for a while. I've got a voltmeter also, so it will be easier to quantify.
Old 02-20-2004
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know if the crank pulley belt will be the same size for single groove and dual groove? and yes i know the dual groove isto accomodate an addition accessory belt. but as far as the main beltis concerned...same size?
Old 02-20-2004

fuledya is an unknown quantity at this point
any track times yet?
Old 02-20-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
ATTENTION!!!!......lol

DH is making a custom single rib pulley for my car. It will allow me to keep my 500W system, while still providing some good gains. Theese people do custom work all the time, if theres something special you need just ask them and they can make it up for you.
Old 02-20-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by fuledya
any track times yet?
He just fricken installed it yesterday....geez!!!

And most tracks don't even open until March anyways.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!