Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

moonroof motor not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TashiD is an unknown quantity at this point
moonroof motor not functioning

Hi, all. Electrical issues usually best me and I'm reaching out for help for the first time. It's a 5th gen. 1992 civic hatchback si and when I bought it recently the seller (a Honda tech in Denver) said the moonroof motor had to be replaced. Taking him at his word I got a used motor of eBay and removed as much of the headliner as needed to get at the motor. I swapped them but no go. On pressing the depth open, closed, or tilt the only sound is a click from under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Testing the switch leads as per the shop manual yields no motion of the motor and black wire has continuity to body ground. Neither the original motor nor the used from eBay moves on wiring three motor 2-P connector directly to battery terminal positive with the other connector connected to the harness from the switch though the motor is not fixed in place but hanging. I guess it's reahangingi got another bad motor but before I try to return it (and find another which is a pain as they're quite expensive new and rare used in my experience) perhaps one of you has some other ideas? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by TashiD; 10-24-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: moonroof motor not functioning

Do you have power making it to the sunroof motor connector when the switch is pressed? Did you ohm out the switch to make sure it is working?
Old 10-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like whomever you bought it from either didn't diagnose it correctly or maybe more has gone wrong since it was checked, or he told you something that sounded easy.

Start at square one, diagnose and figure out what's really wrong.

Wiring diagram shows one switch, 2 relays, 2 fuses, and the motor assembly. Plus wires of course.

If the black wire at the switch is missing the ground, use a jumper to supply a good ground circuit to it. (it grounds in the left kick panel area)
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

When I short the yellow wire at the switch, which should open the roof only ~ -250 mV measures at the motor connector. I have not checked the switch since it's not working even without it.
Originally Posted by GolNat
Do you have power making it to the sunroof motor connector when the switch is pressed? Did you ohm out the switch to make sure it is working?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21052-Screenshot_20161025-1140472092843878.png
Views:	43
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	89185  
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like whomever you bought it from either didn't diagnose it correctly or maybe more has gone wrong since it was checked, or he told you something that sounded easy.

Start at square one, diagnose and figure out what's really wrong.

Wiring diagram shows one switch, 2 relays, 2 fuses, and the motor assembly. Plus wires of course.

If the black wire at the switch is missing the ground, use a jumper to supply a good ground circuit to it. (it grounds in the left kick panel area)
I think you're right. Looking at the underdash fuses the circuit diagram shows 30A in No.1, and 20A in No.2 and unless I'm misunderstanding the actual fuse box numbering No.1 is empty. I'll get a fuse for it today and report back perhaps with significant chagrin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21052-Screenshot_20161025-1125451681177873.png
Views:	40
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	89186   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_21052-IMG_20161025_112814647-342022965.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	89187  
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Alright, the excellent and only mechanic Drew here in Oak Creek, CO gave me a 30A fuse (he collects them from salvage whenever) mentioning "yeah the Honda tech who sold it to you probably probably kept blowing the 30A every time he tried to use the moonroof switch and so just left it out and figured the motor was blown." So all is good and back together working better than before and since I didn't want to risk blowing the fuse to test the old motor are there any ideas how to test the old motor to characterize it as "blown" and why? Thanks for your attention thus far and cheers!
Old 10-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Motor is still dangling by wires not really installed in the mechanism, correct?
Install correct rating fuse. Push buttons to make motor run. Does fuse blow?

At what EXACT point did the fuse blow--what were you doing-- which part of the switch were you using?

Study wiring diagrams and think.