Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   moonroof motor not functioning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/368626-moonroof-motor-not-functioning.html)

TashiD 10-24-2016 06:43 PM

moonroof motor not functioning

Hi, all. Electrical issues usually best me and I'm reaching out for help for the first time. It's a 5th gen. 1992 civic hatchback si and when I bought it recently the seller (a Honda tech in Denver) said the moonroof motor had to be replaced. Taking him at his word I got a used motor of eBay and removed as much of the headliner as needed to get at the motor. I swapped them but no go. On pressing the depth open, closed, or tilt the only sound is a click from under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Testing the switch leads as per the shop manual yields no motion of the motor and black wire has continuity to body ground. Neither the original motor nor the used from eBay moves on wiring three motor 2-P connector directly to battery terminal positive with the other connector connected to the harness from the switch though the motor is not fixed in place but hanging. I guess it's reahangingi got another bad motor but before I try to return it (and find another which is a pain as they're quite expensive new and rare used in my experience) perhaps one of you has some other ideas? Thanks for reading.

GolNat 10-24-2016 09:53 PM

Re: moonroof motor not functioning

Do you have power making it to the sunroof motor connector when the switch is pressed? Did you ohm out the switch to make sure it is working?

ezone 10-24-2016 10:14 PM

Sounds like whomever you bought it from either didn't diagnose it correctly or maybe more has gone wrong since it was checked, or he told you something that sounded easy.

Start at square one, diagnose and figure out what's really wrong.

Wiring diagram shows one switch, 2 relays, 2 fuses, and the motor assembly. Plus wires of course.

If the black wire at the switch is missing the ground, use a jumper to supply a good ground circuit to it. (it grounds in the left kick panel area)

TashiD 10-25-2016 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I short the yellow wire at the switch, which should open the roof only ~ -250 mV measures at the motor connector. I have not checked the switch since it's not working even without it.

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4714750)
Do you have power making it to the sunroof motor connector when the switch is pressed? Did you ohm out the switch to make sure it is working?

TashiD 10-25-2016 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4714754)
Sounds like whomever you bought it from either didn't diagnose it correctly or maybe more has gone wrong since it was checked, or he told you something that sounded easy.

Start at square one, diagnose and figure out what's really wrong.

Wiring diagram shows one switch, 2 relays, 2 fuses, and the motor assembly. Plus wires of course.

If the black wire at the switch is missing the ground, use a jumper to supply a good ground circuit to it. (it grounds in the left kick panel area)

I think you're right. Looking at the underdash fuses the circuit diagram shows 30A in No.1, and 20A in No.2 and unless I'm misunderstanding the actual fuse box numbering No.1 is empty. I'll get a fuse for it today and report back perhaps with significant chagrin.

TashiD 10-25-2016 05:16 PM

Alright, the excellent and only mechanic Drew here in Oak Creek, CO gave me a 30A fuse (he collects them from salvage whenever) mentioning "yeah the Honda tech who sold it to you probably probably kept blowing the 30A every time he tried to use the moonroof switch and so just left it out and figured the motor was blown." So all is good and back together working better than before and since I didn't want to risk blowing the fuse to test the old motor are there any ideas how to test the old motor to characterize it as "blown" and why? Thanks for your attention thus far and cheers!

ezone 10-25-2016 07:03 PM

Motor is still dangling by wires not really installed in the mechanism, correct?
Install correct rating fuse. Push buttons to make motor run. Does fuse blow?

At what EXACT point did the fuse blow--what were you doing-- which part of the switch were you using?

Study wiring diagrams and think.