Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic using alot of oil...help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dylantrevors is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Civic using alot of oil...help?

hey everyone, i am new to the forum but haven't seen any threads addressing the problem i have.
I have a 93 civic LX that uses alot of oil. i usually have to put in a quart once a week or so. I get an occasional puff of white smoke when im coming out of a full stop, but thats all for burning. Today i was checking out my spark plugs and when i pulled the first boot off, it was covered in oil. i wiped it off and pulled out the plug (which yes, let some oil down into the cylinder) which also had oil all over it, but not on the terminal. how might this oil be getting into the boot shaft? its like this in each shaft. i checked 3/4 (which all had oil on the boot/plug) and then ran it to burn off the oil that dripped in to the cylinder and make sure it would start. it ran fine after burning it off, and seems to be running slightly better. any ideas on where all of my oil is going, or how its getting into these shafts?
thanks,
Dylan
Old 04-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 93 Civic using alot of oil...help?

Probably the seals in the valve cover themselves are toast. You need to replace them but I don't think it's going to resolve your oil burning issue, only your wet plugs. I don't know all that much about older gen civics but it seems yours might not have seals, so you may need to replace the entire valve cover. Something to look into anyway.
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I agree. Start by getting a valve cover gasket kit. That should come with everything you need. I know for my old car, it came with spark plug tube seals. IIRC, the ones for your Vic can just be pulled out. I'd start with that job first and check the oil and plugs every couple of days. This should give you a general idea of how to do it:
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...al-help-68451/
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

dylantrevors is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks melj, my plug seals definitely need to be replaced. ill do those and the valve cover gasket soon. then i have to see if it still burns oil, then i gotta piston ring problem.
thanks for your help
Old 04-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

your welcome lol
Old 04-08-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, no problem. As a heads up, I don't know if it was mentioned in that link, but you wanna put some oil on those seals to ease installation and prevent cracking while doing so. Never wanna put a seal in dry.