Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'99 Civic EX Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mjme001 is an unknown quantity at this point
'99 Civic EX Transmission

Hi all, New to the forums and new to Civic.

I bought a '99 Civic, 47k, great condition (Or so I thought) after about 2 weeks I've noticed it shifts a little rough. It's only in some cases. When I'm getting on the freeway and give it plenty of RPM it shift pretty much normal, however, when I'm in traffic at low speeds it tends to "kick" or jerk into 2nd and third. It's not a real bad jerk, and there is no noise but I can feel the hesitation and then like "thunk" into gear. Again when I give it plenty of RPM it doesn't do this. Also when going down a hill not accelerating it jerks into second.

I've check the fluid and it's good. My next step was to do a flush but I wanted to ping here to see if it's a sign of bigger woes. I don't know too much about cars (my knowledge is nominal) so thought I'd ask you gear-heads. I'm sure I've left out info so let me know if you need more. if anyone knows why the tranny would be a little spotty please let me know.

I have searched on here but haven't really found anything matching my exact isssue. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: '99 Civic EX Transmission

do a flush and see it from there but when the transmission starting to jerk into the next gear its a sign of hitting the hell hole, honda is known for having glass transmission and worse on there automatics. my friend 00 honda civic lx does the same jerk and his is at 150k miles and still running. and if the jerk gets worse and tranny starting to slip then you need to rebuild it or find a used one off the scrap yard
Old 08-11-2012
Registered!!

Funny thing...I took it to the Transmission shop and the guy drove it around for about 10 minutes and came back told me " I don't feel any problems with it." and "Just have it serviced." I was like WOW you don't feel the crappy shift???......Apparently not, and this guy comes highly recommended He seemed like a square dude but I was floored when he told me, basically, "yea nothing's wrong with it. Have it serviced."
Old 08-11-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

are you saying a 99 civic with only 47k mi? is that right? really low miles.
At that miles i dont see you flushing the transFluid!!!! just change it.

Im on 03 civic with 180k mi doing my first/second ever transfluid change. Have exactly the symptoms you describe, and i will run it down until the TRANNY DIES on me, and it will be the end of THE CIVIC AS I KNOW IT...i am hoping to get lucky and be able to keep it/drive it until atleast 200,000 mi + and i will call it a success. (under the circumstances you describe).

Please really dont flush it, add additives if only necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

Yea man....47k, was a pretty good deeal, it was taken care of apparently. I think an old lady owned it before me, but yeah same here I will probably just run her 'til she breaks then go from there hehehe I will try and add some fluid see if that works but not sure what else to do...
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

bill breeden is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 civic and am having the same problems. Is there a chance that a flush of the torque converter will fix it?