Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wootah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues

So I'm definitely a noob here. I'm still learning a lot about cars so I have a waaaaays to go to knowing the lingo and all.

Recently I've been noticing problems with my acceleration, especially on hills but also on flats. It feels like I have to really kick down on the gas to get it moving and even then it feels like it's thinking about it or even somewhat like the parking brake is on. Simply feels like there's a lost connection between my gas pedal being pushed and the wheels moving.

I took it to my local garage and they couldn't replicate the issue because it's not consistent but I really wanna try to figure this out before it becomes a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-19-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues

Do you have manual or automatic transmission?
Old 07-19-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Here's a few inexpensive things you can do that may help. I am sure you can find DIY's or videos on line to show you how for each one.

1) check air filter = if dirty replace
2) remove and clean the throttle body or at minimum spray it out with throttle body spray (a.k.a carb & choke cleaner).
3) check tension in throttle cable
4) if yours is an automatic transmission maybe it is slipping ..if so start with an ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and fill.
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Any codes?check electrical connections of ignition coils and fuel ingectors
Originally Posted by wootah88
So I'm definitely a noob here. I'm still learning a lot about cars so I have a waaaaays to go to knowing the lingo and all.

Recently I've been noticing problems with my acceleration, especially on hills but also on flats. It feels like I have to really kick down on the gas to get it moving and even then it feels like it's thinking about it or even somewhat like the parking brake is on. Simply feels like there's a lost connection between my gas pedal being pushed and the wheels moving.

I took it to my local garage and they couldn't replicate the issue because it's not consistent but I really wanna try to figure this out before it becomes a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wootah88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Here's a few inexpensive things you can do that may help. I am sure you can find DIY's or videos on line to show you how for each one.

1) check air filter = if dirty replace
2) remove and clean the throttle body or at minimum spray it out with throttle body spray (a.k.a carb & choke cleaner).
3) check tension in throttle cable
4) if yours is an automatic transmission maybe it is slipping ..if so start with an ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and fill.
I'll look into all of this...see what might be the easiest to start with. Already changed the air filter 3 months ago so probably not that.

Originally Posted by Poopies
Do you have manual or automatic transmission?
I have an automatic

As far as codes go, how do I find out the codes? I wouldn't even know where to start with ignition coils and such...
Old 07-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

raise the vehicle one tire at a time and spin all the wheels by hand, make sure they spin freely, you could have a seized caliper