Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364667-civic-ex-2000-acceleration-issues.html)

wootah88 07-19-2015 12:54 PM

Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues

So I'm definitely a noob here. I'm still learning a lot about cars so I have a waaaaays to go to knowing the lingo and all.

Recently I've been noticing problems with my acceleration, especially on hills but also on flats. It feels like I have to really kick down on the gas to get it moving and even then it feels like it's thinking about it or even somewhat like the parking brake is on. Simply feels like there's a lost connection between my gas pedal being pushed and the wheels moving.

I took it to my local garage and they couldn't replicate the issue because it's not consistent but I really wanna try to figure this out before it becomes a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?

Poopies 07-19-2015 09:01 PM

Re: Civic EX 2000 Acceleration Issues

Do you have manual or automatic transmission?

Wankenstein 07-19-2015 09:29 PM

Here's a few inexpensive things you can do that may help. I am sure you can find DIY's or videos on line to show you how for each one.

1) check air filter = if dirty replace
2) remove and clean the throttle body or at minimum spray it out with throttle body spray (a.k.a carb & choke cleaner).
3) check tension in throttle cable
4) if yours is an automatic transmission maybe it is slipping ..if so start with an ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and fill.

emich 07-20-2015 06:12 AM

Any codes?check electrical connections of ignition coils and fuel ingectors

Originally Posted by wootah88 (Post 4689381)
So I'm definitely a noob here. I'm still learning a lot about cars so I have a waaaaays to go to knowing the lingo and all.

Recently I've been noticing problems with my acceleration, especially on hills but also on flats. It feels like I have to really kick down on the gas to get it moving and even then it feels like it's thinking about it or even somewhat like the parking brake is on. Simply feels like there's a lost connection between my gas pedal being pushed and the wheels moving.

I took it to my local garage and they couldn't replicate the issue because it's not consistent but I really wanna try to figure this out before it becomes a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?

wootah88 07-21-2015 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson (Post 4689404)
Here's a few inexpensive things you can do that may help. I am sure you can find DIY's or videos on line to show you how for each one.

1) check air filter = if dirty replace
2) remove and clean the throttle body or at minimum spray it out with throttle body spray (a.k.a carb & choke cleaner).
3) check tension in throttle cable
4) if yours is an automatic transmission maybe it is slipping ..if so start with an ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and fill.

I'll look into all of this...see what might be the easiest to start with. Already changed the air filter 3 months ago so probably not that.

Originally Posted by Poopies (Post 4689398)
Do you have manual or automatic transmission?

I have an automatic

As far as codes go, how do I find out the codes? I wouldn't even know where to start with ignition coils and such...

mikey1 07-21-2015 10:22 AM

raise the vehicle one tire at a time and spin all the wheels by hand, make sure they spin freely, you could have a seized caliper