Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No start after Fuel Filter Change and Dist Cap and Rotor Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bdan629 is an unknown quantity at this point
No start after Fuel Filter Change and Dist Cap and Rotor Change

Hey everyone. Just wanted to start by saying thanks to anyone who can provide me help. I will describe my issue below:

1999 Honda Civic EX MT
Used all genuine Honda Parts as replacements
I needed to replace the distributor cap, rotor, and fuel filter on my 99 civic. I took the old distributor cap off and old rotor and replaced them. This was easy and straightforward and I don't feel there is really any way to screw this up. I have checked and rechecked the order of the wires on the cap and they are correct. After this I started my car. Car ran fine so I moved on to replacing the fuel filter.

I started by turning the car on and then fulling the fuel pump fuse to release the pressure in the fuel line. Waited for the car to die then went on to replace the filter. I cracked the lower bolt on the fuel filter, cracked the upper bolt on the fuel filter, removed the bolt securing the fuel filter. I removed both the top and bottom bolt. I then put in the new fuel filter. Secured the bottom bolt, got it strapped in and secured the top bolt (I did not fill the fuel filter with fuel......I realize now I should have). I also made sure to replace the crush washers on both sides of the filter. I went to start the car and it started up and then idled for a few minutes then died. Now for the life of me I cannot get the car to start. I have tried priming the engine by turning it on then off then on then off. I took the cover off the fuel pump and the pump is definitely working.

For troubleshooting I have loosened the bolt on the top of the fuel filter and then turned the fuel pump on and gas comes out the top....so I believe this confirms the fuel pump is working. I then also loosened the fuel line to the fuel rail and confirmed that gas sprays out there as well. So it seems to me that fuel is making it down to the rail. My battery is brand new, bought a week ago. I have recharged it and everything to make sure it has enough charge. I pulled out the spark plugs and they looked somewhat grimey so I bought and installed new plugs. Still will not start. I cranks and cranks and never fires.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I really don't want to get this towed and fixed. It seems like it is probably something really stupid. Please help!

Last edited by bdan629; 09-30-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bdan629 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No start after Fuel Filter Change and Dist Cap and Rotor Change

Turns out the distributor coil went bad. Replaced it and everything is functioning again.......