Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic ac question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
98 civic ac question

Hi all I have a 98 civic ex coupe and noticed a possible issue with my ac. It seems the compressor is " binding" at times. What I mean is if the car is running with the ac on and my son holds the gas steady at about 2500 rpm, I can see the very right of the compressor bind up then release periodically. This is not the same as its normal recyle. I also notice it at highway speeds with a spudder from time to time. The same feeling as running out of gas.I am having it checked next week but just wanted some insight. I also notice some rusty powder buildup on the right fenderwell where the compressor is. It seems to be binding less as I drive. I was told it could be the clutch in the compressor. Oh the most important, the ac is somewhat cold but not like it was last summer.Thanks
Old 05-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 civic ac question

You can watch the hub of the clutch stop and then spin as the compressor is cycled on and off.

Take the belt off of the AC compressor. Spin the pulley by hand. Is there noise and roughness from the pulley bearing? Play in the pulley?
Does it make the belt squeal when you say it locks up?

Be aware:
A system that is overcharged can cause heavy drag on the engine and crappy cooling too.
Mostly happens to DIYers that should not be attempting to do DIY AC work.
Old 05-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 civic ac question

to all my freon level should have been 23 oz. It was only 16 oz but after the reclaim which removes moisture and impurities, he filled it up to the correct level. Pressure is good on both low and high side. And its nice and cold with no leaks. And like other people have mentioned, the cans in the store are a quick fix. Bring it to a guy you trust who has the equipment to check it out. If you overfill and over pressurize a system, you can kill the compressor and cause leaks. My guy charged me only $70.00 for it all. Well worth the extra 60 bucks to know its working like it should. And yes it is nice and cold with no binding.