Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Civic DX Radiator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yehaaa6 is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Civic DX Radiator Issue

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/r...iator%20issue/

There's some photos to start you off, I bought this car used about 10 months ago, didn't have any issues until the baling wire radiator mounts gave out. I didn't really know about them until now. I plan to replace the radiator, because looking at photos on the web, it seems that the radiator in the car right now is not the stock Honda radiator, and I'm wondering if I'll need a different fan, and what other things I might need to know or replace besides just those two. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 Civic DX Radiator Issue

Start with a CORRECT radiator, THEN see if everything lines up correctly.

The correct radiator will probably be only half that size.
Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

I got the correct radiator and some coolant. how much coolant do I need? I only have one gallon. and yes, the correct one is much smaller. also, which thermostat should I get, since I figured I may as well replace that while I'm at it.
Old 10-29-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the coolant is already pre-mixed, just fill it up once it is installed.

If you got straight antifreeze, it will need to be diluted 50/50 with water (makes 2 gal.). Deionized/purified water.

Read the jug, see which you got.

Hondas coolant is non-silicate, non-borate formula. Make sure whatever you use is the same as that.

How much? Depends on how much is left inside the engine.
Bare radiator by itself, probably less than a gallon.
Complete system with the engine drained, probably closer to 2 gallons.

Stat: Factory is my preference.

Lay your fan shroud on the new radiator and see if the holes all line up.

HTH
Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

added some photos to the album to show progress. I've got the radiator out, but need the correct fan bolts and also rubber feet for the bottom part of the radiator. I'll also need a new top hose and probably bottom hose.
Old 10-29-2012

Bolt thread size should be 6x1.0, and whatever length (16mm with a washer?) you think won't bottom out in the holes. You sure don't want that, it will break the radiator tank.

The rubber feet look to be about $10 each list from a dealer.

I bet a junkyard would have those and the bolts.
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

ok, so I got the rubber mounts, the bolts for the fan, got the fan mounted and wen to put the radiator in, only to find that Napa's aftermarket radiator doesn't fit under the metal properly, and it will scrape against it which I can't have. Since I didn't pay a lot for this car and it has a salvaged title already, I will probably just grind the frame a little bit until it doesn't touch the radiator anymore, but that is a falure on Napa's part. I also got the thermostat, so I will install the thermostat and the radiator tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2012

LOL.

Move the metal of the car (fold, bend, pound, cut, whatever), but don't grind the radiator. That would void any warranty.
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
LOL.

Move the metal of the car (fold, bend, pound, cut, whatever), but don't grind the radiator. That would void any warranty.
yes. that's what I meant. I'll cut a notch into the frame of the car so the radiator can fit without touching. I added some new pictures to show what's happening.
Old 10-30-2012

Make sure there is plenty of room, the rad. is mounted in rubber and can move around a little bit.
Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

well, radiator installed and car is running within acceptable temperature range. I'll keep some coolant in my car just in case it needs it and congratulate myself on a job well done. a few more pics in the album to show the finished product.