Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

How to change piston rings?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron_Boarder is an unknown quantity at this point
How to change piston rings?!?

HELP! PLEASE!
I have a 1996 Honda civic Si turboed and it burns alot of oil and i cant find a reasonably priced engine to do an engine swap so i figured i will just replace the rings my self! Can anyone give me some tips on how to replace them or maybe a link to a video or anything to help! please! Or does anyone have a D16y8 or D16z6 engine that runs good and has good compression for sale?
Old 09-03-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough
Re: How to change piston rings?!?

You sure its a ring problem and not a valve problem? Squirt some oil in the cylinder with lower compression and if it has better compression than before, its def a ring, if not could be a valve or other problem.
Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

Iron_Boarder is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i did a compression test awhile ago and the compression was good, but i will do another one and post my results soon!
Old 09-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A compression test cannot tell you the condition of the oil control rings.
A compression test only checks the condition of the compression rings.

Oil control rings are probably stuck with carbon buildup.

To replace the rings? Pull the head off, pull the pan off, yank the pistons out. Clean the ring grooves of ALL the carbon buildup. Do NOT damage the grooves or the piston in any way while doing the cleaning. Use the proper tools and procedures. Follow the proper service manual information.

I wouldn't even attempt to hone the cylinders, but that's just me. I'd stuff the rings in and run it.
Old 10-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tott2692002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
A compression test cannot tell you the condition of the oil control rings.
A compression test only checks the condition of the compression rings.

Oil control rings are probably stuck with carbon buildup.

To replace the rings? Pull the head off, pull the pan off, yank the pistons out. Clean the ring grooves of ALL the carbon buildup. Do NOT damage the grooves or the piston in any way while doing the cleaning. Use the proper tools and procedures. Follow the proper service manual information.

I wouldn't even attempt to hone the cylinders, but that's just me. I'd stuff the rings in and run it.

I removed the oil pan, removed the oil screen then removed 10 bolts (14 mm) that holds the bearing cap bridge then stopped. This big beating bridge doesn’t want to move. I used mallet with no success. Are there move bolts to be removed beside these 10 (14 mm) bolts ?