Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange Intermittent Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012
DIY Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue_SI_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange Intermittent Power Loss

I have a 1998 Honda Civic Ex with a 99 SI B16A2 engine and a 95 Integra Gsr 5 speed transmission. In the past month or so at highway speeds and cruising at a constant speed the RPMs will drop as if I have let off the accelerator completely, but my foot stays on the pedal in the same place without letting up. When I put in the clutch and let it back up it behaves as if nothing is wrong. It has only happened about three times in the last month.

NOTE: I do not have cruise control. I also have not made any mechanical changes to any of the engine components, transmission, or any electrical components.

KNOWN PROBLEMS: The transmission is due for a rebuild in the next few months, and there is a very minor leak coming from the head gasket on the passenger side front corner. The alternator has very slight problems keeping enough voltage at idle.