Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank Pulley Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longdrive352 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank Pulley Wobble

Hi everybody,

Let me start by saying that I've looked thru the threads, but think I have a different issue than most of what I've seen. I'd like to bounce the idea off of ya'll.

I have a '98 HX Coupe. A few days ago, it started making a chirping noise kinda like a belt slipping. I popped the hood and looked around. Low and behold, I can see the crank pulley wobbling intermittantly. It doesn't do it all the time, but if I sit and watch it I can see that it will occasionally shift and start a pretty weird vibration.

I've read the threads that say it is common for the crank pulley not to be tightened properly when the timing belt job is done. I know this job was done about 40k-50k miles ago. I'm on 137k now. However, this is the first time I've had this issue in about a year of owning the car. I drive 135 miles/day on the commute, so that is a good 20k miles so far.

So, after reading those posts, I put the car up and pulled the plastic shroud. The bolt was not visibly loose, nor did I see any unusual wear around it. I decided to give it a good turn to make sure. So, I pulled out the crank tool I had from doing a timing belt on a honda I use to have, and I put a breaker bar on the 17mm. I haven't been able to get ANY movement at all on the bolt (tightening it). So I'm fairly certain that the bolt isn't the problem.

I grabbed the pulley, and started wiggling it back and forth to see if I could get any play in it. I couldn't detect much at all...but there was a little. However, it seemed to be around a rubber ring between the outer pulley and the center plate....as if there is a rubber buffer between the two.

Am I correct that this wheel is actually more than one piece? If so, could wear on that inner membrane be responsible for the vibration ?

Thanks for any input.

LD
Old 05-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank Pulley Wobble

Originally Posted by longdrive352
.but there was a little. However, it seemed to be around a rubber ring between the outer pulley and the center plate....as if there is a rubber buffer between the two.

Am I correct that this wheel is actually more than one piece? If so, could wear on that inner membrane be responsible for the vibration ?
Yes.
Take the belts off, I bet the pulley rings will come right off of the rest of the pulley.
The assembly is the harmonic balancer.
It has separated at the rubber. The pulley rings came loose.
It is bad.
Replace it (the crank pulley).
HTH
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes.
Take the belts off, I bet the pulley rings will come right off of the rest of the pulley.
The assembly is the harmonic balancer.
It has separated at the rubber. The pulley rings came loose.
It is bad.
Replace it (the crank pulley).
HTH
Yes, thank you. That helps a lot.

Any thoughts on aftermarket vs. genuine Honda replacements ? I have only seen Dorman brand being sold in the local stores. Does replacing this with a new one affect the balance of a stock engine ? Just hoping its not a death sentence. I love my HX.

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Take your belts off and make sure I guessed right before you just run out and buy one.

Part #14 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHAFT+-+PISTON

Hmmm. This one is not much more than a Dorman at DangerZones website.
Seems worth it to me for one that should work right on the first try. Wonder what shipping would be on that.

I work at a dealer, so you can guess what my answer is.

No, a new one does not affect the balance, unless you happen to get one that wasn't made right.
A harmonic balancer is intended to absorb torsional vibration. You could snap the crank without it.

HTH
Old 05-20-2012
Registered!!

Take your belts off and make sure I guessed right before you just run out and buy one.

Part #14 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SHAFT+-+PISTON

Hmmm. This one is not much more than a Dorman at DangerZones website.
Seems worth it to me for one that should work right on the first try. Wonder what shipping would be on that.

I work at a dealer, so you can guess what my answer is.

No, a new one does not affect the balance, unless you happen to get one that wasn't made right.
A harmonic balancer is intended to absorb torsional vibration. You could snap the crank without it.

HTH
Yes, Majestic. They were actually one of the first places I looked. I have ordered a bunch of parts from them before. They always sock it to ya with shipping tho, and if I buy honda around here, it'll be the $200 after tax. I had really hoped not to be down for too long. I commute 135 miles/day, but can use the motorcycle for a week if I end up going that route. I am 2 miles from a Dorman tho. I'm gonna have a real hard time with that decision.

I can already see the rubber has disintegrated between the two pieces even without taking it off. there are a couple sections inches long that you can practically see thru. I'm trying to attach a pic so you can see what I saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	harmonic balancer.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	83366
Old 05-20-2012

Originally Posted by longdrive352
Yes, Majestic. They were actually one of the first places I looked. I have ordered a bunch of parts from them before. They always sock it to ya with shipping tho, and if I buy honda around here, it'll be the $200 after tax. I had really hoped not to be down for too long. I commute 135 miles/day, but can use the motorcycle for a week if I end up going that route. I am 2 miles from a Dorman tho. I'm gonna have a real hard time with that decision.

I can already see the rubber has disintegrated between the two pieces even without taking it off. there are a couple sections inches long that you can practically see thru. I'm trying to attach a pic so you can see what I saw.

Attachment 83366
That's a bad one.

Dealers are free to set their own pricing.
If you know what MSRP is, many dealers will at least come down to that. That's still 180, the retail shown is correct on the site. Ouch.
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

That's a bad one.

Dealers are free to set their own pricing.
If you know what MSRP is, many dealers will at least come down to that. That's still 180, the retail shown is correct on the site. Ouch.
Well, I called around to the 4 Honda dealerships looking for price and availability today. none of them had one in stock, and only one (about 20 miles away) would match majestic's price. I just didn't want to have to drive across town, have to pay everything in advance, wait for it to come in, and then have to drive across town again to get it.

So, I went ahead and decided to check out the Dorman from Advanced Auto Parts. I also checked ORielly, and AutoZone. They all carried the same one from Dorman, and Advanced actually had it in stock.

So, I called and made sure they had it in stock like the website said. Then the coolest thing happened. I noticed that they had some kind of special for online orders. They let me put in the order online and do a store pickup. I saved $20 right off the bat, and in about two weeks I will get a coupon for $50 off my next purchase of $100 or more. So, what would've cost me $120, only cost me $100 after tax today...AND, next time I buy anything, it will go down to $50. Now, I sure hope it fits ! It sure looks good.

Wish me luck !
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

Well, I had to do it twice, but its done. I had the first one on and all the belts back, ready to torque her down when I discover a chip out of one of the walls of the belt channels. Talk about PISSED ! I immediately thought I'd messed it up by smackin it on something, but couldn't find the chip anywhere....

I looked in the original box, and there it was in the plastic, so I had to take it all apart, drive to a different location where they still had one and swap it out.

Believe me, I took a good long look at that one before I left the store, but it was good. Got home, put her back together, and now she's back to purrin' like a kitten.

Thanks for the support on this one ezone. I appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2012

I wouldn't think a dealer would keep one on hand, there isn't much call for them here at all.
I'm sort of surprised a parts store would have any in stock, but I guess everyone wants ChEAPCHEAPCHEAP. Maybe they get more calls for them than a dealer would.

Someone might have dropped the thing to chip it.

Dealers and parts stores can usually get almost anything you need overnight.

I almost wonder if it might be a reboxed OEM part too.

Good to hear it worked out well, even if it was a hassle.