Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Burning Too Much Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rileyb22 can only hope to improve
Burning Too Much Oil?

I have a 2000 Civic Si with 165k, DC Headers to a full Yonaka catback exhaust, cam gears, and SRI. It really has no problems other than an oil burning issue. I had my oil changed about 1500 miles ago. After running it for a couple weeks, there was almost no oil left on the dip stick (commuting approx. 30-40 miles a day). I keep having to clean the black grime off my back bumper that is coming out the exhaust. Im using 5w30 Vavoline max life. I check the oil about 2-3 times a week, adding about 1/4 of a quart every time.

There is NO check engine light, and no oil leaks that are visible. I have recently replaced the o2 sensor, iacv, tps, and had the valves adjusted. I know there is a few threads about "oil burning" , but they didnt seem to match my problem.

I need some suggestions on the next step i should take to help the problem, i mean i know all Hondas burn oil, but buying a quart of oil every week is getting a bit costly.

THANKS!
Old 02-28-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Burning Too Much Oil?

It's something internal and something probably serious. Valve seals, to piston rings. Either way something is amiss and it most likely won't be cheap to fix. Hard to diagnose over the internet because I can't see what the engine is doing when the oil is being burned.
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

So where should i start? Considering the head and its componets are probably worn causing it to burn oil excessively, shouldn't i go ahead and replace what i can? If i started by replacing the valve seals, it should help some right? I know you cant make a diagnosis over the internet, but there is only so many things it could be causing it to burn so much oil.

I have a local shop that does great work and they take pretty good care of me. They charge $80 an hour. Roughly what kind of cost would i be looking at to have them replace the valve seals?

Like i said, buying a quart of oil almost every week is getting old!
Old 02-28-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Check the PCV valve and replace it if necessary.
Get a valve job done.
Get a head gasket job done.
Piston rings?
Your valve guides could be worn. (especially if you have a vtec)

I can go on and on honestly. There is quite a bit it could be.
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

Ill check the PCV, had the valves adjusted recently, & yes its a b16a2 so its a vtec. Ive heard that having the valve seals replaced is not an easy job. Should i expect a pretty hefty bill or what?

As long as i keep oil in the car i should be fine for the time being right?